Midget Tier 1 Tryouts

49 minutes ago, The King said:

So the purpose of you posting this and taking up all this space in this thread is to inform everyone you have stupid friends? Not that I’m surprised. Just seems like a waste of time. I mean, you couldn’t possibly have been comparing WPA to MN. That would be the height of ignorance and lunacy. Anyway thanks for letting us know you keep your own kind close to you. 

No, the purpose was to share a story that people in general will do stupid/stressful things for their kids to be given the best chance at success (or for other selfish reasons). Another point to this post was to simply share a story that some may have found assuming in a thread where other posters were talking about the stress of different associations, and one poster mentioned the old ways of dividing players up by geographical regions. I also in no way compared WPA to MN. If you're just out to bash every post I make now that I brought to light your insecurities about your prior employer then have fun buddy, I'm not going anywhere as i actually live in WPA, unlike yourself. You're just mad I didn't reference USA hockey in my post. Sorry, I will remember to do so next time, you miserable piece of shit.

3 minutes ago, The King said:

An example of Insecurities would be the need to interject a very broad based tale that sounds eerily like the backdrop of the Mighty Ducks movies in order to interject yourself into a conversation you’re otherwise not a part of. And sweetheart, you don’t know the first thing about my background but please keep thinking you do. And as I’ve said so many times, I derive hours of entertainment exposing frauds like you. You clearly don’t have any friend in Minnesota. That’s another one of these stories that gets told against and again in lobbies by hockey dads trying to seem relevant. Dads like you stand in a crowd of 4-5 in the corner away from everyone and watch the drills. You count your kids reps and wait for him to do better than the other kids. When he does you high jack the coffee conversation by saying the coach is an idiot and you could do better. The coach knows nothing and the team would be doing better if you were calling the shots because your “friend” in MN sent you some drills and forechecker that you’ve been talking to your son about and watching video of. All the while you’re re-mortgaging your home and drawing on your 401K because if you don’t keep paying what the organizations tell you to pay, you aren’t allowed in the rink. So either you bend over and take it like a good boy or you man up and speak up about the fact that the sport CAN be played in this country for less than it currently costs. And you you don’t even have to worry about your kid being molested by business partners of the people you’re paying money to. Or whatever. I’m just miserable is guess.

Well if you want the truth I grew up playing in Minnesota. Would have went pro if I wasn't for a cheap shot to my knee. Now I'm an alcoholic lawyer who coaches peewee. 

I also don't stand in the corner. I like to be right by the bench so I can berate my kid for going offside.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The King said:

sarcasm and self deprecating humor is a fantastic defense mechanism. I love being right all the time. It’s too easy

Or maybe you can just yell at me for being a fraud? You obviously have a complex about being right about everything. Seems like a miserable existence if you ask me. I'm gonna go ahead and get @Paul Baxter in here now so he can remove this post, as I realize its inappropriate for this setting, however its pretty apparent that you have nothing at all to do with youth hockey in Western PA, yet for some reason you're still here to prove everyone wrong. 

Edited by Paul Baxter

1 hour ago, forbin said:

No, the purpose was to share a story that people in general will do stupid/stressful things for their kids to be given the best chance at success (or for other selfish reasons). Another point to this post was to simply share a story that some may have found assuming in a thread where other posters were talking about the stress of different associations, and one poster mentioned the old ways of dividing players up by geographical regions. I also in no way compared WPA to MN. If you're just out to bash every post I make now that I brought to light your insecurities about your prior employer then have fun buddy, I'm not going anywhere as i actually live in WPA, unlike yourself. You're just mad I didn't reference USA hockey in my post. Sorry, I will remember to do so next time, you miserable piece of shit.

Did I miss something ? 

13 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

Like him or not, The King always makes good points. 

Sometimes. Mostly they are hard to find amidst the pats on the back, the ranting and s%&-ing on people who disagree with him. 

16 hours ago, Paul Baxter said:

Come on everyone, I don’t want to lock this thread but I will if you don’t tone it down...

Why Paul? I'm thrilled to see some semblance of normal with all that's going on around me. Tryout season means lunatic threads and responses. So please don't take away this. My mental health needs it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/29/2020 at 4:26 PM, Scooby Doo said:

This exact thing happened to our daughter who played for PPE.  She was on the first PPE team ever that played in a USA hockey National final.  During tryouts 2 weeks later, multiple girls from Columbus blue jackets show up and my daughter (a local player) gets cut (along with others of course). 

I've never bought into the "growing hockey in Western PA" stuff that the PPE spout.  That's a bunch of garbage.  More than half of her team that year lived far away from Pittsburgh.  Only about 6-7 girls were in the tri-state area.  The other 13-14 were out of the area.  They'll drop a local kid quicker than a snap to pickup someone better out of town.

“They'll drop a local kid quicker than a snap to pick up someone better out of town.”

The balls that PPE must have to take a kid that is more skilled even though they do not live as close to the rink as your less skilled player. They need to ask everyone who tryouts to provide how faraway they live from the rink.

I hope that they at least gave your kid a participation award for trying out.

image.png

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, BACKCHECKING said:

“They'll drop a local kid quicker than a snap to pick up someone better out of town.”

The balls that PPE must have to take a kid that is more skilled even though they do not live as close to the rink as your less skilled player. They need to ask everyone who tryouts to provide how faraway they live from the rink.

I hope that they at least gave your kid a participation award for trying out.

Look, JackA$$, they know DAMN well who is trying out.  When all the CBJ girls are wearing CBJ shells and practice jerseys its hard not to notice.

At the time this took place the team was only supposed to have a few girls from out of town -- which we were directly told by the PPE staff  - that only 2-3 were "out of the area", when in reality more than 70% of the team was out of the area (more than 90 miles from the rink).

The Pens mantra of "building local hockey" is a bunch of BS when they willingly and knowingly replace capable local girls with girls from 250 miles away. Importing players from all over the place to play on the PPE teams does ZERO for "building local hockey".

And no my daughter doesn't need a participation trophy.  She was a leading scorer in the ACHA and on the deans list in college this past season and she busted her A$$ every shift on the ice, which is why she won the Unsung Hero award from her college.  

Like I already stated, she was far better off skating on the top line, 1st PP and 1st PK for 3 years at AA than being on the 3rd line on PPE and only getting a few shifts a period.  She developed far more at the AA level playing with competent line-mates who PRACTICED with the team the whole year rather than having teammates who just showed up for tourneys, and never practiced but played on the first two lines.   The chemistry was WAY better.

Edited by Scooby Doo

On 6/29/2020 at 4:43 PM, Danner27 said:

Word is the 03s father also made a nice donation to the penguins foundation, along with his excel contributions over the years. The 02 never went to excel.

PPE is not about growing the game. They are a tax shelter using youth hockey to pay for the pro teams practice facility and of course every couple of birth years an employee kid needs pushed.   

I wouldn't doubt that some of the well off people who filled my daughters PPE team were donating to the Pens foundation.  When you have real estate moguls, airplane pilots, etc. and their kids are filling the roster, and they're also going to SSA or other $$ private schools and then flying into tourneys on the weekend to play for PPE, whats a few thousand in $$ to guarantee a spot?

• Like 1

So all of these ridiculous scenarios happen here in WPA, yet certain "royal" people on this forum have a hard time believing a true story of a dad in MN moving his family an hour and a half away to play for a better organization? Lets not even mention the 9 year old kid all over the internet who's dad moved him from Alaska to Toronto to play in a more competitive environment. That's just absurd, and sounds like the plot of a movie right?

4 hours ago, forbin said:

So all of these ridiculous scenarios happen here in WPA, yet certain "royal" people on this forum have a hard time believing a true story of a dad in MN moving his family an hour and a half away to play for a better organization? Lets not even mention the 9 year old kid all over the internet who's dad moved him from Alaska to Toronto to play in a more competitive environment. That's just absurd, and sounds like the plot of a movie right?

That happens every couple of years. Some over trained mite’s YouTube video ends up online and goes viral. The Penguins actually had a hand in the nonsense with the kid from Alaska, he was a “Crosby” fan. If I remember correctly, the pens flew him into a game. 

The best part of these videos, which are clearly an attempt at “exposure” by the parents, is that they rarely show game footage. Just JR skating and dangling around some cones, and going “top shelf!”

I know about 12 kids personally who could do that shit at a young age, their parents just weren’t pimping videos of them out to anyone who will validate them. Those kind of parents are the worst. 

Edited by ctil20

12 hours ago, Scooby Doo said:

The Pens mantra of "building local hockey" is a bunch of BS

This "was their mantra" as the original news release attached states. However, it wasn't long after that first season that people in charge realized that their was a shit-ton of $$$$$ to be made, but I digress.

The big point that I want make is this, the PPE also claim to be this bastion of player development and they convince all the Little Super 66'er "Elite mites" that they have to play there if they want any chance of becoming the next star 12U player.

Then came 2020 and the elimination of the 14U Major and Minor BY Black teams as well as the 12U Major Black team. So, now you have 15 skaters and 2 goalies who have been "trained by the best staff anywhere" for 5 years(06) 4 years(07) and 3 years (08) being dumped back into the AA and Faux AAA tryout pool participants. I don't know what the results are officially, but I have heard stories and they don't back up the development theory. I've also seen some of the on-ice sessions and the only thing that makes most (not all) stand out are their beautiful yellow buckets along with the fact that they never pass the puck to anyone without the same helmet and even then a pass is rare. But they're determined to show their superiority over these vagrants from AA PAHL teams, or worse yet (gasp) an A player. I'm so superior to this peasant, mom told me so. So' I'll continue to make bad plays and turn the puck over to these lowly players because this yellow helmet is on my head. And because of it, I am destined for greatness on my new mPens Team With Pittsburgh Hornets.docixed year A-Major team.

15 hours ago, ctil20 said:

The best part of these videos, which are clearly an attempt at “exposure” by the parents, is that they rarely show game footage. Just JR skating and dangling around some cones, and going “top shelf!”

Not to pick on the kid in question either, because I'm sure hes a great kid, but you cant find one single game play clip of him making a good pass or a smart defensive play. He will score 8 goals a game though. Maybe PPE would be a good fit for him? They seem to promote selfish play.

22 hours ago, forbin said:

What I think is that if all of us with PPE stories got together with a producer, we could come up with one heck of a 30 for 30 episode ?

• Haha 1

You mean like this year's mandate that all 8U families sign a contract that prohibits them from participating in any other programs? All because they had a bunch of their players leave the program this season. There used to be some families that also participated in PAHL programs so that they could play in the 8U Jamborees instead of always seeing the same players. Now, they are "under contract" at 8U and will do exactly as they are told to do or they will be exiled forever. Or until they become a great player somewhere else and they beg them to return so that they claim to have developed them.

Just think about that, 8U hockey, you agree to do whatever they tell you to do.

17 minutes ago, dazedandconfused said:

You mean like this year's mandate that all 8U families sign a contract that prohibits them from participating in any other programs? All because they had a bunch of their players leave the program this season. There used to be some families that also participated in PAHL programs so that they could play in the 8U Jamborees instead of always seeing the same players. Now, they are "under contract" at 8U and will do exactly as they are told to do or they will be exiled forever. Or until they become a great player somewhere else and they beg them to return so that they claim to have developed them.

Just think about that, 8U hockey, you agree to do whatever they tell you to do.

How do they enforce that?

22 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

The big point that I want make is this, the I've also seen some of the on-ice sessions and the only thing that makes most (not all) stand out are their beautiful yellow buckets along with the fact that they never pass the puck to anyone without the same helmet and even then a pass is rare. But they're determined to show their superiority over these vagrants from AA PAHL teams, or worse yet (gasp) an A player. I'm so superior to this peasant, mom told me so. So' I'll continue to make bad plays and turn the puck over to these lowly players because this yellow helmet is on my head. 

Pens Team With Pittsburgh Hornets.doc 26.5 kB · 17 downloads

You'd really get a kick out of when they show up for dek hockey and get smoked. 

• Haha 1

On 7/1/2020 at 11:08 AM, Scooby Doo said:

Look, JackA$$, they know DAMN well who is trying out.  When all the CBJ girls are wearing CBJ shells and practice jerseys its hard not to notice.

At the time this took place the team was only supposed to have a few girls from out of town -- which we were directly told by the PPE staff  - that only 2-3 were "out of the area", when in reality more than 70% of the team was out of the area (more than 90 miles from the rink).

The Pens mantra of "building local hockey" is a bunch of BS when they willingly and knowingly replace capable local girls with girls from 250 miles away. Importing players from all over the place to play on the PPE teams does ZERO for "building local hockey".

And no my daughter doesn't need a participation trophy.  She was a leading scorer in the ACHA and on the deans list in college this past season and she busted her A$$ every shift on the ice, which is why she won the Unsung Hero award from her college.  

Like I already stated, she was far better off skating on the top line, 1st PP and 1st PK for 3 years at AA than being on the 3rd line on PPE and only getting a few shifts a period.  She developed far more at the AA level playing with competent line-mates who PRACTICED with the team the whole year rather than having teammates who just showed up for tourneys, and never practiced but played on the first two lines.   The chemistry was WAY better.

Am I the Jacka$$ or are you for believing anything that PPE tells You?

My guess is that you are angry that you couldn’t brag to your friends that your daughter played for PEE anymore and that’s why you felt the need to share her hockey resume with everyone on here.

Bottom line is if your kid is good enough, they will make the team no matter what anyone else does.

Stop making accuses for why they did not make it and teach them to work harder and come back and tryout again next year.

When a top person in the org tells it to your face, and then the opposite happens how does that make me a fool?

My kid did well enough without PPE.  PPE is filled with politics.  We prefer to steer clear of politics.  And we don't kiss up to anyone or donate to anyone for our kids to get a spot on a team.

Don't give me the garbage about "try harder" and you will make the PPE.  Those teams are pretty much set from season to season with only a few spots open.  If you'd been on this board for any length of time you'd know this.  At any one time a team may have a few openings, but often those are promised to recruited players in advance. 

I'm done discussing this with you as obviously you just like to attack me when all I am doing is stating the TRUTH about our experience.  It has ZERO to do with how hard she tries.  She's pretty much the hardest working player on all the teams she's played on.  It has everything to do with who you know, who's butt you kiss, your track record in hockey since you were 5 years old, etc.

18 hours ago, BACKCHECKING said:

Am I the Jacka$$ or are you for believing anything that PPE tells You?

My guess is that you are angry that you couldn’t brag to your friends that your daughter played for PEE anymore and that’s why you felt the need to share her hockey resume with everyone on here.

Bottom line is if your kid is good enough, they will make the team no matter what anyone else does.

Stop making accuses for why they did not make it and teach them to work harder and come back and tryout again next year.

This is not true. They cut a 02 this year who is drafted into the ncdc and added a 03 who stinks but the kid has been going excel. The father also wrote a check to the penguins foundation, his kid brags about this.