North Hills High School news

KDKA reports 2 North Hills school players are positive for Covid-19.  They allege it may have spread at the school's tryout.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/07/02/two-north-hills-students-test-positive-for-coronavirus-after-attending-unsanctioned-hockey-tryouts-families-warned-of-potential-outbreak/

One question: why is the tryout on June 27 considered to be "unsanctioned"?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jack Handey said:

KDKA reports 2 North Hills school players are positive for Covid-19.  They allege it may have spread at the school's tryout.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/07/02/two-north-hills-students-test-positive-for-coronavirus-after-attending-unsanctioned-hockey-tryouts-families-warned-of-potential-outbreak/

Most schools have done their tryouts, the wording just means “club” sport. Get ready folks! I’ve been saying it for months, no travel hockey this season, now I am even questioning school hockey. 

37 minutes ago, The King said:

Wait until they have to return all the money because there’s no season. Oh wait, we spent it already! Guess who’s on the hook for non-profit business losses? 

I’m lucky, both kids are done now. If they weren’t, I sure as hell wouldn’t be making any payments for a travel team right now! If there is no season will USA hockey refund the membership fee ? ?

11 hours ago, Jack Handey said:

I Just received a text, these kids picked up covid at ice castle during the predator‘s tryouts. One of the kids became sick during the north hills skate five days later.  

19 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

I Just received a text, these kids picked up covid at ice castle during the predator‘s tryouts. One of the kids became sick during the north hills skate five days later.  

Neighbor who had a kid at tryout confirmed this

9 minutes ago, The King said:

And now your going to see the divide between the “clubs” and the school districts. Man I’d hate to be the head of this club and have to explain the schools athletic department why your club feels it’s necessary to take risks during a pandemic, actually have your members contract the virus and spread it in the community, and how your organization is a viable asset they should keep supporting. God help them if they didn’t take necessary and state mandated precautions. Not to mention all other PIAA sports are at a stand still. Now this club could be known as the example the folks in charge use to shut it all down. Good luck with that

Don’t disagree at all. How long have I been saying something like this would happen, March ? Well here it is! I’m not trying to pat myself on the back, it’s just common sense! Where are The folks that wanted to tell me I was crazy, didn’t know what I was talking about. I don’t care what your political views are or what you really think about this virus. The fact is - it’s spread at travel hockey tryout out, now those kids brought it into  their own community via the school club hockey team. Don’t make your first payments! 

Did anyone seriously think that the virus was not going to hit the ice?  I am sorry to say that it is here and as I see it you either stay at home not see anyone and not get it or live your life and take your chances.  I just don't see how the economy and our way of life can work if we all stay at home.  I would like to think that I am in the middle. I will try to avoid it but I won't stop living to do that.  Won't go to places like bars, protests, beaches where people congregate for long periods. Will go to local Hockey rinks to see the kids play. The games aren't  packed with fans. I stand by myself try to avoid people. That's all I can do. If I get it under those circumstances I hope my immune system can fight it. Hope I don't have to find out. 

With all due respect where would you draw the line?  What is necessary?  Never said rinks are a critical business.   Once again shouldn't I be able to make my own decision as to what I want to do? No politics involved just my choice. Shouldn't I be able to go to the rink if it's my choice?  Your choice might be to stay home and that's fine with me. Who is forcing compliance? Where are the politics?  Maybe we should all just get used to sitting in the house so we never get sick. And what generation are you talking about.  The one that wants to get back to life?

55 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

I would also hope ice castle sends a email to every kid at that tryout! 

And say what?  That a bunch of middle age men who spend far too much time online bashing local hockey have determined these kids contracted the virus at IC?  Because they can unequivocally say that these boys  never left their houses since early March and never interacted with anyone except who they live with.  Gimme a break.  They have been hanging with friends, going to restaurants, some may have gone to the beach or a protest, got a hair cut, went to Trader Joe’s for their mom, etc.  There is no way to pin point exposure.  All you are doing is spreading rumors which is irresponsible in the current state of affairs.   Heck, chances are they were exposed multiple times.

37 minutes ago, The King said:

With all due respect, the economy and our way of life does not require amateur hockey. Ice rinks are Petrie dishes for bacteria. Viruses will spread and find every area to survive in that environment. Tryouts for this season were not at all necessary other than to collect seed money. Sure rinks need to survive and I’ve spent lots of time and money in them for 40 years but I cannot support the notion that it’s a critical business. And if this was spread at the rink in question at that organizations tryout, please realize that it would have most likely been heavily attended and came no where close to the recommended numbers and spacing. What I will say is that, the notion to pit on these events and force compliance is intrusive and wrong. Until people are willing to work together with full disclosure on a plan of action and leave politics out of it, get used to the idea of no youth sports. This generation may have just killed it for good.

I’ve spoken with a few friends this morning, just as you said king, the place was packed for all tryout ages, upwards to 60-70 kids on the ice at the same time. Parents also packed in the building watching. This folks, this is why we can’t have nice things! People can’t follow simple guidelines, Karen and bob have to see how little Johnny is doing! I always stayed in the car when my kids did tryouts, also during practice, this was before covid obviously. Why do you parents insist on being there ? You’re presence is not going to change the out come. Maybe I’m just old and don’t understand these helicopter parents! The few families I know who attended have not received any emails from ice castle about the situation. Word is starting to circulate a kid from bethel park has also come down with covid from these tryouts. So we have two confirmed kids and one rumored, how many do you think really picked this up ? 30 ? 40 ? Now they will pass it around to their communities and families. Hockey is by far the biggest breading ground for bacteria and virus out of every sport. 

2 minutes ago, Puckthat said:

And say what?  That a bunch of middle age men who spend far too much time online bashing local hockey have determined these kids contracted the virus at IC?  Because they can unequivocally say that these boys  never left their houses since early March and never interacted with anyone except who they live with.  Gimme a break.  They have been hanging with friends, going to restaurants, some may have gone to the beach or a protest, got a hair cut, went to Trader Joe’s for their mom, etc.  There is no way to pin point exposure.  All you are doing is spreading rumors which is irresponsible in the current state of affairs.   Heck, chances are they were exposed multiple times.

It’s not a rumor, it’s fact. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

It’s not a rumor, it’s fact. 

And how do you know it's a fact? Because someone told you so? The kids in question didn't go anywhere else they could have come in contact with the virus and you know that to be a fact. Gimme a break!

8 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

The kids in question didn't go anywhere else they could have come in contact with the virus and you know that to be a fact. 

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this sentence?  Are you saying those kids did not leave the house for the last two weeks except to go to tryouts, went straight to ice castle, and then straight back home?

Or - were you meaning that sarcastically (I hope)?

Edited by aaaahockey
Wasn't sure if I understood original quote

4 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this sentence?  Are you saying those kids did not leave the house for the last two weeks except to go to tryouts, went straight to ice castle, and then straight back home?

Danner27 is making it sound like those kids got the virus from the tryouts. How does he know that for a fact unless they haven't gone anywhere else sinch March. That's all I'm saying.

1 minute ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Danner27 is making it sound like those kids got the virus from the tryouts. How does he know that for a fact unless they haven't gone anywhere else sinch March. That's all I'm saying.

Ok thanks, that makes sense. 

24 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

So 3 kids who happened to be at ice castle for hockey tryouts come down with covid 5-7 days later, it sure isn’t a coincidence. It’s common fn sense!  

I would sure like to know how you got that info?  Do you know the 3 kids personally? I call BS on your facts. Do you also know the carrier?  Maybe you are contact tracer. I might believe you then.  But then you would have an idea of who brought it to the rink for those 3 to get it.

If you asked me, a month ago, to pick the one rink that would ruin it for everyone... I would have been right. 

Why in the hell would you let all of those people in there? 

Edited by ctil20

10 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

I would sure like to know how you got that info?  Do you know the 3 kids personally? I call BS on your facts. Do you also know the carrier?  Maybe you are contact tracer. I might believe you then.  But then you would have an idea of who brought it to the rink for those 3 to get it.

I got a text from the parent! As for the carrier, it was somebody at ice castle, more than likely one or more kids trying out. 

do you work at ice castle ? Is that you Ralph ? Or Gary ? Don’t want to have to shut down for 14 days, pay to have the place scrubbed but hey let’s have rmu take the blame on this one since that’s when 2 of these kids got “sick”. 

rmu was the last rink to open,  they have been very strict. They are owned by a college. They are following guidelines. 

to recap, 3 kids attend the predators tryouts all 3 test positive for covid 5 days after the tryout.  Parents filled the stands watching their dreams. It’s simple man! It’s common sense! You don’t have to work for the cdc to figure this one out! 

It seems that it is being inferred here that Ice Castle is not following proper Covid-19 protocol. Is this the case? I have not been in the Spencer YMCA to see what's happening inside, but the parking lot seems to be way too relaxed with parents not social distancing and beer drinking in the back of pick-up trucks. It also seems as though the new PA mask requirement extends to athletes during practice/competition based on what Rachel Levine said. I just don't see how this is going to work. It may be that we have to choose between sports and school. Having sports start will likely get the case count up too high for anyone to feel safe with schools opening. I love hockey, but I choose schools.

29 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

I got a text from the parent! As for the carrier, it was somebody at ice castle, more than likely one or more kids trying out. 

do you work at ice castle ? Is that you Ralph ? Or Gary ? Don’t want to have to shut down for 14 days, pay to have the place scrubbed but hey let’s have rmu take the blame on this one since that’s when 2 of these kids got “sick”. 

rmu was the last rink to open,  they have been very strict. They are owned by a college. They are following guidelines. 

to recap, 3 kids attend the predators tryouts all 3 test positive for covid 5 days after the tryout.  Parents filled the stands watching their dreams. It’s simple man! It’s common sense! You don’t have to work for the cdc to figure this one out! 

I haven't been to Ice Castle since March!  It just seems to me that you would be very happy to see Hockey/Youth Sports shut down.  Why not just shut it all down forever so no one ever gets sick.  I give up. Let's just shut it all down till there are no more reported cases in the US.