North Hills High School news

1 hour ago, The King said:

Says the guy that created his account to defend the average statistics of the lower ranked 18U team at this arena. Some of us are trying to help the community at large. Judging by the panicked response after a long absence I will make a few guesses-

your kid was at the amateur tryout in question

you were one of the parents that had to be there and watch (this is one of the saddest traits of any of today’s “man”)

you are now a carrier

yiur family, your place of business and anyone you’ve come in contact with is now at risk because you needed to cast your eyes on an amateur tryout that you don’t have any experience to actually understand or evaluate

how close did I get?

Either way, as @Danner27 keeps saying, the truth will be exposed and all the money and time you wasted casting your families well being aside to appease your ego will be a waste. No matter what anyone thinks, it’ll all be shut down without you even knowing it

Panicked response after a long absence? What has there been to respond to?  

To answer your question, you are not close at all.  But thanks for proving my point - that you do spend far too much time online bashing youth hockey.  You actually looked up prior comments I posted.  If you looked close enough, you’d see I created my account prior to the string you are referring to.  And since you are interested so much, no, my kid didn’t play for Bush last year.  As far as the greater good for the community as it relates to my family’s part, my kid drove himself to Tryouts and I stayed home.  He’s 17 and has played for 10 years.  We know the process and don’t need to be there.  Do you intentionally miss the point of other people’s posts?  Wait - don’t answer that.  

• Sad 1

There is still no guarantee of any vaccine ever.  Don't forget that. 

Further, without the "parents texting me" I have no idea that anything spread at ice castle. Apparently these kids are close enough they tried out in the south hills for preds despite living in North Hills. Are they good friends?  Did they share any rides to Ice Castle?  Did they hang out in the parking lot?  Did they spend the night at each other's houses?  Did they go on a triple date with their girlfriends for ice cream and hot dogs at Brighton?  Do they play other sports together?  How close were they in ice castle?  Why not kids from other places that were at that tryout and just the three north Hills kids?  

24 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

There is still no guarantee of any vaccine ever.  Don't forget that. 

Further, without the "parents texting me" I have no idea that anything spread at ice castle. Apparently these kids are close enough they tried out in the south hills for preds despite living in North Hills. Are they good friends?  Did they share any rides to Ice Castle?  Did they hang out in the parking lot?  Did they spend the night at each other's houses?  Did they go on a triple date with their girlfriends for ice cream and hot dogs at Brighton?  Do they play other sports together?  How close were they in ice castle?  Why not kids from other places that were at that tryout and just the three north Hills kids?  

Yeah - a text from a parent doesn’t prove much to me either. The reality is 5-6 days after exposure is an average.  Nothing is set in stone with this virus.  People can begin experiencing symptoms in as little as 3 days and up to 13.  To be able to definitely say when and where these kids were exposed is impossible.  

• Confused 1

I understand how so many people want to get back to doing the things that they love. Many will say that we need to move on and just do stuff. We can argue about how high or low the risk is. The bottom line is many people are afraid to move on with he numbers as they are. As a result, the economy as a hole and every organization will struggle longer. We need to suck it up and take our medicine as a cancer patient takes chemo until we can get our numbers down near the European levels. Sometimes the chemo kills you, but you know that your dead without it. The opening of youth sports that involve close contact is just not a good idea right now. We need to wait. Lets focus on getting the numbers down as much as possible so we can get the kids back in school first. I say the same thing about bars and restaurants.

43 minutes ago, Puckthat said:

Yeah - a text from a parent doesn’t prove much to me either. The reality is 5-6 days after exposure is an average.  Nothing is set in stone with this virus.  People can begin experiencing symptoms in as little as 3 days and up to 13.  To be able to definitely say when and where these kids were exposed is impossible.  

I honestly don’t care what you believe. The facts are the facts and they are right in front of everyone. 

despite my kids being done, I want to still see youth sports. I have family and friends with kids still playing, my kids friends still play. My niece was suppose to play her first Pahl season this year but a holes such as yourself can’t follow rules. 

you obviously have some vested interest in the predators. Don’t worry buddy, your kid won’t make it to D1. Playing  there certainly would do nothing even if your kid had the talent. 

stick to tier 2 - great comment!  

1 minute ago, Danner27 said:

I honestly don’t care what you believe. The facts are the facts and they are right in front of everyone. 

despite my kids being done, I want to still see youth sports. I have family and friends with kids still playing, my kids friends still play. My niece was suppose to play her first Pahl season this year but a holes such as yourself can’t follow rules. 

you obviously have some vested interest in the predators. Don’t worry buddy, your kid won’t make it to D1. Playing  there certainly would do nothing even if your kid had the talent. 

Honestly this reads to me like you just want to go after Predators regardless of what may or may not be true. I'm not even a fan of the way Predators or Ice Castle are run but you are doing mental gymnastics to say "the facts are right on front of you" in this case.   

29 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

I’m still waiting for the facts...

Yes, my kid plays for the Preds but no vested interest beyond that.  I just don’t see the need to constantly bash these organizations especially if your kids are done.

Thanks for the insight on my kid.  And all this time I’ve been thinking he’d get a full ride.  

1 hour ago, The King said:

Thank you Dr. Howard. See this is the type of irresponsible posting that will get it all shut down. Leave stats and medical advice to people that know. I am not a medical professional which is why you will never find a post that shows me making medical claims or giving advice. It’s a highly contagious virus. Whether it’s deadly or not is not the issue here. Whether the state or cdc will restrict social freedoms is. Stick to Tier 2 statistical debates please.

Irresponsible posting is saying that two kids contracted COVID at  IC and siting a text message as fact.  

1 hour ago, aaaahockey said:

Honestly this reads to me like you just want to go after Predators regardless of what may or may not be true. I'm not even a fan of the way Predators or Ice Castle are run but you are doing mental gymnastics to say "the facts are right on front of you" in this case.   

It’s not bashing when you are telling the truth. I do the same with PPE & Esmark, places my son has played. 

1 hour ago, Puckthat said:

Irresponsible posting is saying that two kids contracted COVID at  IC and siting a text message as fact.  

Three kids. Again, you do not have to work for the cdc to figure out where they got it. all three of these kids were in one place at the same time,  Predators tryouts. A try out that had 60-70 skaters on the ice at various birth years along with stands packed with parents. Can you arses at least admit you saw that many kids and parents ???   

2 hours ago, Danner27 said:

Three kids. Again, you do not have to work for the cdc to figure out where they got it. all three of these kids were in one place at the same time,  Predators tryouts. A try out that had 60-70 skaters on the ice at various birth years along with stands packed with parents. Can you arses at least admit you saw that many kids and parents ???   

But no one else got it except the three kids from the same place? You never answered my question did they carpool?  Hang out before or after?  Facts....

But no one else got it except the three kids from the same place? You never answered my question did they carpool?  Hang out before or after?  Facts....

The kid from bethel does not know the two north hills kids. We don’t know if they were the only ones that got it, I would be willing to guess other have got it. Again, the common denominator is all three kids attended the predators tryouts, that’s the facts. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes buddy. Judging by the reaction from other clubs and school athletics, this matter is being taken serious.  

10 hours ago, Puckthat said:

And say what?  That a bunch of middle age men who spend far too much time online bashing local hockey have determined these kids contracted the virus at IC?  Because they can unequivocally say that these boys  never left their houses since early March and never interacted with anyone except who they live with.  Gimme a break.  They have been hanging with friends, going to restaurants, some may have gone to the beach or a protest, got a hair cut, went to Trader Joe’s for their mom, etc.  There is no way to pin point exposure.  All you are doing is spreading rumors which is irresponsible in the current state of affairs.   Heck, chances are they were exposed multiple times.

it's called contact tracing. When someone is tested positive for Covid-19, the protocol is to identify the places and the other people whom he/she has come in contact with. Those people will then need to get tested.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brokenstix said:

it's called contact tracing. When someone is tested positive for Covid-19, the protocol is to identify the places and the other people whom he/she has come in contact with. Those people will then need to get tested.

There is a difference between saying "you were potentially exposed at ice castle (or the grocery store or the bar)" than saying "these people contracted the virus at ice castle". And there is absolutely no way to prove it.  And despite the fact that Danner wants to throw ice castle under the bus (he'd be better off just pointing out they weren't following any guidelines than trying to pin specific cases, that might be a legitimate gripe if you are really dead set on going after them) - it definitely sounds to me like the two North Hills cases could have been spread elsewhere (still not heard about carpooling or how close the two kids are) and I haven't heard an explanation as to how he thinks the Bethel kid contracted it from them (sitting next to each other in a locker room, checked a kid from North Hills and spittle flew all over his face, etc ).  The idea that the Bethel kid could have gotten it somewhere else (beach, grocery store, etc) is just as likely in my opinion with the number of cases expanding everywhere unless we think all 500+ people in the last several days were all at ice castle.  Several football players at various universities are testing positive at the same time with little interaction between each other, for example.   There is a lot we don't know about this virus including its ability to spread in asymptomatic people (which I assume the North Hills kids were at the time of Preds tryouts).  

If Danner shows up with the virus tomorrow and tells us he was at Dicks sporting goods from 9-10 am on Monday so we test everyone else who was there and 20 more show up positive does that mean they all got it at Dicks?  Not very likely. 

And, if this is about contact tracing, let's hear everywhere else the kids were over the last two weeks, not just the place you want to call out. 

There is a difference between saying "you were potentially exposed at ice castle (or the grocery store or the bar)" than saying "these people contracted the virus at ice castle". And there is absolutely no way to prove it.  And despite the fact that Danner wants to throw ice castle under the bus (he'd be better off just pointing out they weren't following any guidelines than trying to pin specific cases, that might be a legitimate gripe if you are really dead set on going after them) - it definitely sounds to me like the two North Hills cases could have been spread elsewhere (still not heard about carpooling or how close the two kids are) and I haven't heard an explanation as to how he thinks the Bethel kid contracted it from them (sitting next to each other in a locker room, checked a kid from North Hills and spittle flew all over his face, etc ).  The idea that the Bethel kid could have gotten it somewhere else (beach, grocery store, etc) is just as likely in my opinion with the number of cases expanding everywhere unless we think all 500+ people in the last several days were all at ice castle.  Several football players at various universities are testing positive at the same time with little interaction between each other, for example.   There is a lot we don't know about this virus including its ability to spread in asymptomatic people (which I assume the North Hills kids were at the time of Preds tryouts).  

If Danner shows up with the virus tomorrow and tells us he was at Dicks sporting goods from 9-10 am on Monday so we test everyone else who was there and 20 more show up positive does that mean they all got it at Dicks?  Not very likely. 

And, if this is about contact tracing, let's hear everywhere else the kids were over the last two weeks, not just the place you want to call out. 

You just don’t get it or you do and you want to defend ice castle to the death. I am not going to waste anymore energy arguing this with you. 

There is no point in arguing and attacking each other. This is what a highly contagious virus does. With kids hopping rinks, trying out everywhere and doing skills, stick times all over....you got a kid on the ice, you are somehow connected to everyone in the hockey community. We aren't playing six degrees of Kevin Bacon anymore...it's six degrees of who tested positive for Covid. ?

Only a matter of time, particularly with the amount of science deniers out there.

I want hockey. My house is happier with skates on again. Mood, exercise, socializing. But it is hard to see how this can work, particularly because we have so many people unwilling to do the smallest things to prevent spread.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Danner27 said:

You just don’t get it or you do and you want to defend ice castle to the death. I am not going to waste anymore energy arguing this with you. 

Glad you answered all my questions and used your "science" to respond.   I suggest you text your friends and tell them to sue ice castle and we will see if the court agrees with you or me. I can tell you how fast the lawsuit gets thrown out. No defense of ice castle - as I said you should have pointed out their lack of following guidelines not making up associations that may or may not exist. I guess I won't waste any more time asking real questions if you just wanna come to your own conclusions without confronting other possibilities.

Why are school teams holding tryouts in July?  Is that normal for the western part of the state?  In the east, tryouts are usually in Sep/Oct, occasionally in late August.  Even then, they aren't really tryouts per se, they are workouts.  

1 hour ago, carroll81 said:

Why are school teams holding tryouts in July?  Is that normal for the western part of the state?  In the east, tryouts are usually in Sep/Oct, occasionally in late August.  Even then, they aren't really tryouts per se, they are workouts.  

It's been that way around here for as long as I can remember. I'm not sure of the reasons, but it seems that this would have been a good year to make exceptions. It would be ideal if we can get our health in good enough shape to start schools, see how that goes for about a month, and then bring back some youth sports gradually. Waiting a little longer will also allow for more time to get more/better testing in place and better therapeutics. I'm not one to say we have to put everything on hold until a vaccine is found, but it just doesn't seem people have modified their behavior enough have gatherings with the way things are now, Especially with cases rising as rapidly as they are. 

This whole thing were we are trying to correlate youth sports and school is baffling.

”Youth sports” mostly involves roughly 35-40 kids at a time during a game, and 15-20 during practice a few times a week for and hour and half. 

Schools consist of 300 to 1k+ kids... 5 times a week for 6+ hours. 

The “risk” with youth sports barely registers when you take into consideration that some of these districts are going to pack all of those kids into a school - and all it will take is one sneeze to get into the ventilation system.

People are so out to lunch on the whole school thing, but like everything else in this country - we’re just going to have to try it (knowing it won’t work) then all fall flat on our faces. Kids will be back at home by mid-September. 

Saw a few districts taking “parent surveys” on whether or not to reopen. Talk about letting the inmates run the asylum. Pandering and spineless. I know people have to work, but everyone knows the reality of this, and while it’s a harsh, difficult, hard to swallow reality. It is indeed, REALITY. 

We cannot gather in groups of more than 25, but a month from now, schools can be packed?

I say close school, knowing it won’t work, and let the kids who play sports have some semblance of normalcy. Hell, maybe it will encourage others who typically wouldn’t play to get out and moving. 

The schools will shut the schools down, not a youth soccer league. 

Edited by ctil20
  • Like 2

Anyway, people, this board is a point of contention and very passionate rhetoric at times... but please just wear the damn mask. At the end of the day, whether your kids are done with hockey, still playing or are about to start... the kids all loved doing this at some point... so let’s just bite the bullet, maybe stay out of the rink and really try to be proactive so the kids can continue to enjoy it. 

At the end of the day, the hockey community is responsible for doing what’s best for the hockey community, and more importantly the kids. Not rinks, not organizations. We can use better judgement on packing a rink to watch a skills session, try outs etc And we can certainly show the outside world that we are doing our part to get this thing behind us. Your kids are out there playing a sport that is hard, violent at times, and strenuous to both the body and mind... it’s the least the parents can do. 

There will be a time in the future where we can all get back to being hooligans. We have to do our part right now. 

Edited by ctil20

We don’t need to be showing up on KDKA news every other week for an “outbreak” at the rink.... 

Republican, Democrat... if there is one single thing we can agree on... that’s sensationalism and the media. 

Hang out in the parking lots people, even if you can go in. Pro tip... it’s good for your kid sometimes too.