2020-21

I hope I’m wrong but I just don’t see it happening start to finish for a variety of reasons. The least of which is that with the large portion of PAHL, PIHL and various tier teams coming from Allegheny county, I can definitely see them being on the chopping block for color code retrograding.  Even if that doesn’t happen and rinks remain open, it’s going to be an uphill battle.

....Im going to try to make this post as my theory as to why as possible, not what I want or support happening....

Second, I’m not sure either league (as an entity) will be very bold in their stances along with Mid-Am and USA Hockey.  We’re hours away from August, no further ahead than we were 6 months ago with these agencies. 

Third, although PIHL is club, many of the schools still have influence on their hockey teams and will either put rules into place that will outright ban competition if their district chooses to or make it extremely challenging to both comply with and compete. 

Further, it’s bound to happen where a team gets “decimated” by Covid/Corona/Chicom etc.  Real, Imagined, Cooked Numbers whatever.  There was an article on here earlier about a team. Once that happens.  I can really see a lot of knee jerk reactions happening. 

I think...the Tier I programs will probably be the safest to make it happen, between financial resources and the drive to get through it.  They might have to play an all road all the time schedule to do it. But they’re the mostly likely to imho.

Scholastic programs are probably the greatest at risk.  I guess we can only wait and see at this point. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Quinlan2020 said:

I think there will be an announcement within a week that competitive sports will be mostly shut down. I also predict that schools be restricted to remote learning for the first nine week period. The data shows that there has been a significant uptick in Covid-19 infections within the 13-18 year old age group over the past few weeks.

I have heard several districts in the South Hills - Bethel Park, Peters, Char Valley, Keystone Oaks among them - are planning on in person instruction, 5 days a week this fall. I think they may just be waiting for the governor to shut them down so they can say they aren't the bad guys though.

It's on the graph titled "Reported Exposures by Activity" and in the category of "Played Sports". It looks like the main culprit now is parties.We probably would be in pretty good shape and not even talking about youth sports & gyms being a potential problem if all the summer parties didn't happen. We can thank all our neighbors that occasionally have 20 or more visiting cars lining the street for keeping our kids out of school and other extra-curricular activities this fall.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Lifelongbender said:

In fact, weren't they reporting just the other week that the PA Department of Health had said that youth sports don't appear to be a significant vector of infection? Maybe I heard wrong.

Yes.  County health department said the same thing. The chart backs this up. Unfortunately jails and nursing homes are getting hit badly again.  They said 80 of the cases announced today we're nursing homes.  30 were just backlog cases from a while back that somehow never got announced. 

10 minutes ago, Lifelongbender said:

In fact, weren't they reporting just the other week that the PA Department of Health had said that youth sports don't appear to be a significant vector of infection? Maybe I heard wrong.

And the chart kind of shows that. The numbers aren't high in that category. Unfortunately, people that are going to these ridiculous parties will also be participating in sports. Just about every group activity has elevated risk now because of the transmission rates. We could lower that transmission rate by avoiding these parties and make the organized activities much safer. It a bad decision our society has made at the expense of the more conscientious people that just want a little normalcy back in our kids lives.