2020-21

10 minutes ago, Guru said:

So, given the situation with MLB, specifically the Marlins, what’s everyone’s thoughts on school hockey.   Do we see it in the fall or is it going to be a casualty of a Dept of Health directive in that it gets lumped in with fall sports and doesn’t happen?

All sports doa, just my opinion. 

I am more pessimistic everyday.I have already heard of several situations where friends of my kids have had someone (parent/player) affiliated with their sports team test positive. I also see that the under 18 age group has experienced the highest increase in new cases during July. Allegheny County cases among that age group was near zero in prior months but it usually double digits each day since.

6 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

I am more pessimistic everyday.I have already heard of several situations where friends of my kids have had someone (parent/player) affiliated with their sports team test positive. I also see that the under 18 age group has experienced the highest increase in new cases during July. Allegheny County cases among that age group was near zero in prior months but it usually double digits each day since.

Allegheny county has had 5 days straight of triple digits. 25% of all cases in PA are in Allegheny county. 

12 hours ago, Danner27 said:

It is, just organizations don't want to acknowledge it ($$$$) and parents are blind to it.  Mark my word, you heard it here first, there will be no fall sports of any kind (high school or travel).  It is what it is, they are not going to allow it until after November. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

Thanks for posting this. Any development in this situation is interesting. However, this article, while interesting, is clearly football-centric. It doesn't say a thing about any indoor sports at all, and only mentions golf and tennis in passing.

Basketball and hockey are going to be a totally different thing in the minds of the decision makers. They happen indoors and in fairly close environs.

Here's my take on why football is questionable whereas other sports maybe not.  In football, you have players lined up in each others faces, exhaling on them for about ten seconds, about 100 times a game.    I can't think of another sport that has such a problem other than maybe wrestling.  

The only thing coming close to that in hockey is faceoffs.  Which if really worried about you could tweak a bit to mitigate.

43 minutes ago, carroll81 said:

Here's my take on why football is questionable whereas other sports maybe not.  In football, you have players lined up in each others faces, exhaling on them for about ten seconds, about 100 times a game.    I can't think of another sport that has such a problem other than maybe wrestling.  

The only thing coming close to that in hockey is faceoffs.  Which if really worried about you could tweak a bit to mitigate.

Honestly if kids would catch it taking a faceoff we would all have caught it by now. Locker room?  Maybe. Faceoffs?  Nope. 

29 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

Honestly if kids would catch it taking a faceoff we would all have caught it by now. Locker room?  Maybe. Faceoffs?  Nope. 

Locker Room: probably - ask MLB how locker rooms are working out for them.  

Heard from a coworker with a kid in a school program that is chartered as a “club sport” that their athletic director was asked to weigh in regarding what would happen if in person instruction is put on hold in August/September in regards to club sports.   

They were strongly advised not to register for any preseason tourney, and told  that if return was delayed....all extracurriculars would be shut down.

I’m seeing Danner being right on this one

• Like 2

Well, Illinois governor just released his 'guidelines' for youth sport. Hockey is in the high risk category which means skills practices only, no games (even intrasquad scrimmages) or tournaments. Illinois high school association came out right after saying it looks like high school football and soccer moving to spring.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/ihsa-announces-decision-on-sports-after-state-releases-new-guidance/2313541/

Edited by Loach
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Guru said:

Heard from a coworker with a kid in a school program that is chartered as a “club sport” that their athletic director was asked to weigh in regarding what would happen if in person instruction is put on hold in August/September in regards to club sports.   

They were strongly advised not to register for any preseason tourney, and told  that if return was delayed....all extracurriculars would be shut down.

I’m seeing Danner being right on this one

Was this your first post?  I'm starting to think we need to crack down on alts

On 7/27/2020 at 7:33 PM, Danner27 said:

So much for that scenario.........

Didn't see @aaaahockey post above.

"The Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association (PIAA) ruled Wednesday that high school fall sports can go on as planned. The board voted 29-2 to adopt COVID-19 safety protocols for high school sports. The protocols cover general safety practices and specific safety measures."

https://www.wtae.com/article/piaa-set-to-issue-covid-19-guidelines-for-high-school-football-other-sports/33450010#

Edited by fafa fohi

4 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

The MLB outbreak is rumored to have been players going out and partying together per an espn report. 

Yup, that is the rumor.  A few went out, then infected the rest.  Most likely infection spot - the locker room?  

51 minutes ago, carroll81 said:

Yup, that is the rumor.  A few went out, then infected the rest.  Most likely infection spot - the locker room?  

I have a lot of suggestions as to where the most likely infection spot was. Some of them aren't family friendly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ynot02 said:

That’s because hockey is not a PIAA sport.

Which really is part of my point. Obviously this is interesting information, but firstly it doesn't bear on hockey directly at all, and secondly it doesn't matter what PIAA says if the governor can shut everything down again at will.

Hockey and basketball are both close in, face-to-face sports that happen indoors on relatively small surfaces. I don't think we can learn anything from them saying golf can proceed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lifelongbender said:

Which really is part of my point. Obviously this is interesting information, but firstly it doesn't bear on hockey directly at all, and secondly it doesn't matter what PIAA says if the governor can shut everything down again at will.

Hockey and basketball are both close in, face-to-face sports that happen indoors on relatively small surfaces. I don't think we can learn anything from them saying golf can proceed.

Yes, you are correct.  That is the point, it really doesn't matter what the PIAA says, USA Hockey says, the rinks say the organizations say or what anyone else says.  They don't hold the authority anymore, the Governor will make the final decisions, and that can change direction at anytime.  The articles prediction means nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie Shore said:

Yes, you are correct.  That is the point, it really doesn't matter what the PIAA says, USA Hockey says, the rinks say the organizations say or what anyone else says.  They don't hold the authority anymore, the Governor will make the final decisions, and that can change direction at anytime.  The articles prediction means nothing.

Correct & correct for the both of you! 

I think there will be an announcement within a week that competitive sports will be mostly shut down. I also predict that schools be restricted to remote learning for the first nine week period. The data shows that there has been a significant uptick in Covid-19 infections within the 13-18 year old age group over the past few weeks.