Costs of teams like Pittsburgh Vengeance

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone knows the roundabout costs of teams like the Pittsburgh Vengeance, etc. (USPHL teams)?

My son has an opportunity with a Canadian Junior team but circumstances with the Covid 19 pandemic, getting into Canada and a passport are daunting. 

Appreciate any insights or recommendations. 

Gonna need a little more to go on than this.  What does an "opportunity" mean?  You got an email? He is going to tryout?  He has been offered a spot?

Also, what Canadian Junior Team?  Much like in the US, there is a wide gap in Juniors. 

Are you asking if he should accept an offered spot on an OHL level team or the Vengeance?

Please elaborate.

17 hours ago, telleophone said:

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone knows the roundabout costs of teams like the Pittsburgh Vengeance, etc. (USPHL teams)?

My son has an opportunity with a Canadian Junior team but circumstances with the Covid 19 pandemic, getting into Canada and a passport are daunting. 

What Canadian league ? Most usphl premier teams are in the 10-12k range for tuition, area makes a difference,  that does include hotels but does not include billeting.  

if playing pay to play juniors in the states, the ehl is the best tier 3 league. The Usphl premier in my opinion, is like 20U varsity hockey, most of the teams have 3 to 4 good players. it’s just there to make money to fund their ncdc. Very few kids ever get “promoted” up to the ncdc. The majority of the kids playing in the ncdc come from prep schools & high level aaa programs. 

10 hours ago, Danner27 said:

What Canadian league ? Most usphl premier teams are in the 10-12k range for tuition, area makes a difference,  that does include hotels but does not include billeting.  

if playing pay to play juniors in the states, the ehl is the best tier 3 league. The Usphl premier in my opinion, is like 20U varsity hockey, most of the teams have 3 to 4 good players. it’s just there to make money to fund their ncdc. Very few kids ever get “promoted” up to the ncdc. The majority of the kids playing in the ncdc come from prep schools & high level aaa programs. 

My son was offered a contract by a team in the CPJHL  

And the cost in the contract is a lot less than what you’ve mentioned (think 7k total with billeting, rate converted to US dollars..

I honestly didn’t expect a Spanish Inquisition...

And I know, nobody expects a Spanish Inquisition ...

I digress  

Seriously, I was just wondering what the costs are because my son is excited to possibly go to Canada but he’d prefer to play in the US  

Thanks for the information  

2 minutes ago, telleophone said:

And the cost in the contract is a lot less than what you’ve mentioned (think 7k total with billeting, rate converted to US dollars..

I digress  

Seriously, I was just wondering what the costs are because my son is excited to possibly go to Canada but he’d prefer to play in the US  

Cpjhl stands for Cant Play Junior Hockey. The usphl premier is better, that ain’t saying much! 

On 7/22/2020 at 12:54 PM, telleophone said:

https://thejuniorhockeynews.com/canada-border-closure-extended/

15 hours ago, telleophone said:

I digress  

You asked the question.  You can go on any of the team websites or email them, and they will give you costs.  How much does Junior Hockey cost, it depends.  That is just too broad a question to ask, without more detail being needed.  Anywhere from close to 10 grand, to almost free.

If you and your kid are looking to be able to say the whole, "yea, little Johnny played Junior hockey up in Canada", then go for it.  If you think it's actually going to lead somewhere, then don't waste your money.  We are not trying to piss you off, everyone above was just stating facts.

12 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

My God Danner and I agree again. Here is a food link for you the comments are important. 

Look up CPJHL on Wikipedia and take special note of the "Former Teams" section.  Teams folding before playing, teams folding for not enough players?  That don't sound right.  If it was me, I would stay away. 

You say he was offered a contract, did the coaches ever come see him play, talk to you and he after a game or tournament?  Did he go up and skate with the team or tryout?  Or did you get an email from them that said something like, "hey I saw some film on you, or our scouting department said they watched you play, etc.."  Unless they got with your kid before or after a game and you specifically saw them watching him play, I would stay away.  The whole recruiting through email is something to be weary of.  Just my 2 cents.  Again, we are all just trying to help.

Edited by Eddie Shore

5 hours ago, Eddie Shore said:

Look up CPJHL on Wikipedia and take special note of the "Former Teams" section.  Teams folding before playing, teams folding for not enough players?  That don't sound right.  If it was me, I would stay away. 

You say he was offered a contract, did the coaches ever come see him play, talk to you and he after a game or tournament?  Did he go up and skate with the team or tryout?  Or did you get an email from them that said something like, "hey I saw some film on you, or our scouting department said they watched you play, etc.."  Unless they got with your kid before or after a game and you specifically saw them watching him play, I would stay away.  The whole recruiting through email is something to be weary of.  Just my 2 cents.  Again, we are all just trying to help.

I got a phone call from the General Manager of the team, who saw him at a prospects camp last weekend. 

So, yeah it was “in person”, so to speak. And the team is one of the original founding teams in the CPJHL from 2016, so that team is one of the durable ones. 

Obviously, going to Canada isn’t going to happen because of the Covid circumstances.  it’s been 4 months and still no passport card processed yet and I don’t expect it anytime soon. And even if we had it, the border is closed. 

It’s the snark that shows when some don’t want to help and choose to be a wise a** and the internet gives that person anonymity where they wouldn’t have the balls to say something like that to a person face to face. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Denis Lemiuex said:

In addition. Go to thejumiorhockeynews.com and read the death pool articles.

FYI about that site - the guy that runs it has zero credibility with anyone that matters. He’s also an advisor that makes a killing putting kids in the usphl. 

25 minutes ago, telleophone said:

I got a phone call from the General Manager of the team, who saw him at a prospects camp last weekend. 

So, yeah it was “in person”, so to speak. And the team is one of the original founding teams in the CPJHL from 2016, so that team is one of the durable ones. 

Obviously, going to Canada isn’t going to happen because of the Covid circumstances.  it’s been 4 months and still no passport card processed yet and I don’t expect it anytime soon. And even if we had it, the border is closed. 

It’s the snark that shows when some don’t want to help and choose to be a wise a** and the internet gives that person anonymity where they wouldn’t have the balls to say something like that to a person face to face. 

I’m trying to help, stay away from that league, it’s a joke. It makes the usphl premier look like ncaa hockey! What camp did you attended ? 

42 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

I’m trying to help, stay away from that league, it’s a joke. It makes the usphl premier look like ncaa hockey! What camp did you attended ? 

A camp that apparently doesn’t get results. It also got him two coaches for ACHA D2 schools to contact him for the 2021-2022 Season. 

8 minutes ago, telleophone said:

A camp that apparently doesn’t get results. It also got him two coaches for ACHA D2 schools to contact him for the 2021-2022 Season. 

There is nothing wrong with acha hockey, especially if your kid has the grades to get a few bucks to go there. 

i don’t want to come off as pompous BUT if you are not playing juniors for one the Canadian major leagues, the ushl or the nahl you are pretty much wasting time and just delaying the end. 

4 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

There is nothing wrong with acha hockey, especially if your kid has the grades to get a few bucks to go there. 

i don’t want to come off as pompous BUT if you are not playing juniors for one the Canadian major leagues, the ushl or the nahl you are pretty much wasting time and just delaying the end. 

Agreed. Stick to local hockey this year and followup with the ACHA teams regularly. 

15 hours ago, Danner27 said:

FYI about that site - the guy that runs it has zero credibility with anyone that matters. He’s also an advisor that makes a killing putting kids in the usphl. 

Doesn't make his information wrong. The biggest thing for everyone to look at is placements. Most leagues out there have a placement that equals the PIHL/PAHL - college club hockey. Some juice it up by saying some DI or DIII school but then check the rosters and they are on the ACHA team. And take the NA3HL placement with the NAHL with a grain of salt. They are contractually obligated to take one player from the league. And that's all they take and they return almost all of them. In reality there are only about 10 leagues worth the money in North America. The rest are crap. Save your money. Play college club.

20 hours ago, Denis Lemiuex said:

In reality there are only about 10 leagues worth the money in North America. The rest are crap. Save your money. Play college club.

Could you give a rough list of those leagues and how you go about trying out for them.  Just curious and it would be good to hear from someone who is not an "advisor".

2 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Could you give a rough list of those leagues and how you go about trying out for them.  Just curious and it would be good to hear from someone who is not an "advisor".

The major Canadian leagues, ushl & nahl. Most kids playing in those leagues get drafted by the teams. You can try to goto some of the camps they use as fund raisers. you would have to be with out a doubt the best player out there for them to think about giving you a real main camp invite, if that somehow happens you end up at the real main camp that consists of their current team, draft picks etc. roughly 100 players, so now you have to crack that nut. 

8 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

There's the obvious 5 - Ontario, Quebec and Western leagues in Canada and the USHL and NAHL in the US. Although the first 3 players are not allowed to play NCAA hockey.  The others I think are above board and do put kids at DI and DIII schools with regularity are the Atlantic Junior Hockey League (AJHL), CCHL (Central Canadian Hockey League), BCHL (British Columbia Hockey League), the Ontario Junior Hockey League (OJHL) and USPHL. I might have missed one or two. Then you have the NE Prep Schools and the scattering of legit prep schools across the US and Canada. Most offer a post grad year (PG) to get the kids a year older before entering college.

Again If you kid doesn't want to go to college and wants to play hockey. There are "junior hockey leagues" all over the place. But if you think your kid may be able to get a scholarship or look at DIII then these are the best leagues. If in doubt. Look at a league's or team's commitment list and then see how they did at their new team.

1 hour ago, nemesis8679 said:

What's everyone think about WHL? 

Top 4 Junior league in North America. As I mentioned previously. If your kid plays there he is ineligible to play NCAA DI or DIII hockey. My advice. If your son isn't going to be a top 6 fwd or top 4 D then play USHL, NAHL, AJHL, CCHL, BCHL, or USPHL. If he's good enough for the WHL then he's good enough for those leagues. Gets to play juniors and if good enough will still get scouted and drafted by the NHL. If not good enough to get drafted, then college is still an option and can chase his pro dreams four years later with a college degree. And if he really blows up at college. He can leave and be an undrafted FA in the NHL. The Pens have done pretty good with those guys.

• Like 1