• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Sign in to follow this  
The King

Another laugher

Had this passed along to me from a former player that worked with the coach that left the program. This runs a lot deeper than the report states from what I’m told. Lots more will come out about this as time goes on. But what continues to make me laugh is that you rubes insist it doesn’t happen all the time or this easily. And USA hockey makes it easy for it to happen and actually provides certain protections for people. 

Even funnier is that none of you even noticed it. Which is exactly why I tell you to ASK QUESTIONS. Illegal activity occurs in a high percentage of youth sports organizations. Usually it’s dismissed as “oops. My mistake” and accepted because little Johnny needs to have a make believe athletic career and if we don’t have people to register the teams and make sure USA hockey gets its money, they don’t get to play. And if they steal a few bucks, oh well. It was a mistake. Keep feeding the machine folks. 

https://triblive.com/sports/ex-treasurer-of-west-allegheny-hockey-boosters-accused-of-stealing-40000-from-club/

• Thanks 1

So is the "booster club" the same thing as the West Allegheny Hockey Association?  Or are these two different things?

And another question: most non-profits have a rule requiring multiple officers to co-sign checks over some predetermined limit.  Say anything over $1k for example.  Does this booster club not have this kind of rule in place?

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Jack Handey said:

So is the "booster club" the same thing as the West Allegheny Hockey Association?  Or are these two different things?

And another question: most non-profits have a rule requiring multiple officers to co-sign checks over some predetermined limit.  Say anything over $1k for example.  Does this booster club not have this kind of rule in place?

So what needs to be explained is what they’re considering a “booster club” and what this term means. How any school club sport is run is that a board separate from the schools athletic department runs the business of the sports club. This is what is traditionally recognized as a booster club. So regardless of the empowerment these parents run organizations have been given by their governing bodies and affiliates, they are still a booster club. These clubs are eligible for 501c3 status but as a non profit are required to establish by laws and abide by them. You’d have to ask the organization themselves but no bank would allow a single signer account for a non profit. And they certainly wouldn’t 𝘾𝘼𝙎𝙃 the checks. They were most likely forged. That’s the most common. Either way, the fiduciary duties fall to the rest of said board to ensure the checks and balances are in place. It appears in this case the rest of the board was negligent and/or hid the crimes. Either way, this happens often and gets ignored. Like I said,  ask questions and stop thinking of your kids playing time first. I realize how easy it is for these people to use this against you. But if more people stood up and refused to allow these crooks to make such irresponsible and criminal decisions, this would be easier to regulate. 

Edited by The King

2 hours ago, The King said:

Had this passed along to me from a former player that worked with the coach that left the program. This runs a lot deeper than the report states from what I’m told. Lots more will come out about this as time goes on. But what continues to make me laugh is that you rubes insist it doesn’t happen all the time or this easily. And USA hockey makes it easy for it to happen and actually provides certain protections for people. 

Even funnier is that none of you even noticed it. Which is exactly why I tell you to ASK QUESTIONS. Illegal activity occurs in a high percentage of youth sports organizations. Usually it’s dismissed as “oops. My mistake” and accepted because little Johnny needs to have a make believe athletic career and if we don’t have people to register the teams and make sure USA hockey gets its money, they don’t get to play. And if they steal a few bucks, oh well. It was a mistake. Keep feeding the machine folks. 

https://triblive.com/sports/ex-treasurer-of-west-allegheny-hockey-boosters-accused-of-stealing-40000-from-club/

Someone is going to jail over this one, I don’t see this sliding. That is a big chunk  of change. my 99 played with a WA kid at ppe, I’ll ask if he heard anything about it, he still talks to 90% of kids he’s played with. Unfortunately at their age, they have been out of HS so doubtful he would hear anything on the situation. I don’t recall my 02 ever playing with any kids from that area. Regardless, this is a serious situation. Pihl fees are somewhat expensive, icetime, coaches.  you can’t charge a family 4K to play HS hockey. How do they recoup the cash so the program doesn’t fold ? I’m doubting the individual who stole the money has it to return though article states they do. What’s sad about USA hockey, this won’t be a blip on their radar. Should it be ? I’m not sure but they should help out their member. That amount of money could easily fold that schools program.  

7 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Someone is going to jail over this one, I don’t see this sliding. That is a big chunk  of change. my 99 played with a WA kid at ppe, I’ll ask if he heard anything about it, he still talks to 90% of kids he’s played with. Unfortunately at their age, they have been out of HS so doubtful he would hear anything on the situation. I don’t recall my 02 ever playing with any kids from that area. Regardless, this is a serious situation. Pihl fees are somewhat expensive, icetime, coaches.  you can’t charge a family 4K to play HS hockey. How do they recoup the cash so the program doesn’t fold ? I’m doubting the individual who stole the money has it to return though article states they do. What’s sad about USA hockey, this won’t be a blip on their radar. Should it be ? I’m not sure but they should help out their member. That amount of money could easily fold that schools program.  

USA hockey, in its litigious wisdom, has several liability policies that cover various scenarios. Theft, embezzlement, etc is supposedly covered. What is far from clear here is that the organization in question is not guilty of any crime in this scenario. If the board members that remain are found to have had knowledge of their business practices being illegal or at best negligent, would an insurance company pay out that claim? And I’d also be asking some questions if I’m the insurance company if the governing body who holds the policy has helped the organization cover up the activity. As I said, this one is far from over in my opinion. And trust me, the governing body could care less about any money lost. They got theirs. And to be honest, if you have a district of high maintenance people that have ethical issues, why would you want the trouble? But again, this happens more often than you realize. Not just sports. Many youth groups are sucked dry by the same parents that cry for safety and fair play. 

2 hours ago, The King said:

USA hockey, in its litigious wisdom, has several liability policies that cover various scenarios. Theft, embezzlement, etc is supposedly covered. What is far from clear here is that the organization in question is not guilty of any crime in this scenario. If the board members that remain are found to have had knowledge of their business practices being illegal or at best negligent, would an insurance company pay out that claim? And I’d also be asking some questions if I’m the insurance company if the governing body who holds the policy has helped the organization cover up the activity. As I said, this one is far from over in my opinion. And trust me, the governing body could care less about any money lost. They got theirs. And to be honest, if you have a district of high maintenance people that have ethical issues, why would you want the trouble? But again, this happens more often than you realize. Not just sports. Many youth groups are sucked dry by the same parents that cry for safety and fair play. 

Years ago a football booster at my sons HS stole 2k. I don’t recall what or if any legal action occurred. The money was payed back by the thief. @The King are you saying the clubs or USA hockey carry insurance for fraud and situations like this ? If so That’s something I never knew. Still learning at 52 and my kids are done! Regardless I feel bad for those kids and families that lost the money. As I said above, I’d bet 40k could fold a hs program. 

just spit balling here, I don’t know the real cost hopefully  someone with the figures can answer this. What does it cost to run a varsity team for a season ? PIHL fees, ice cost and coaches fees. I’m guessing 60k ? Can anyone tell me if I’m close ? 

36 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Years ago a football booster at my sons HS stole 2k. I don’t recall what or if any legal action occurred. The money was payed back by the thief. @The King are you saying the clubs or USA hockey carry insurance for fraud and situations like this ? If so That’s something I never knew. Still learning at 52 and my kids are done! Regardless I feel bad for those kids and families that lost the money. As I said above, I’d bet 40k could fold a hs program. 

just spit balling here, I don’t know the real cost hopefully  someone with the figures can answer this. What does it cost to run a varsity team for a season ? PIHL fees, ice cost and coaches fees. I’m guessing 60k ? Can anyone tell me if I’m close ? 

USA hockey and it’s affiliates have insurance policies that cover almost any situation where they or their members face liability for any loss. It recommends that it’s member clubs carry additional policies to cover what their policies do not. Now, this is no different than any other situation within USA hockey in that they decide who they want to support and who they don’t. What the affiliate needs to be very careful of is if they have any responsibility here. Remember, the hockey world is very small and even smaller when you’re dealing with illegal activity and cash flow. For this to go to a criminal court it tells me it is being considered a big deal. What I am interested in watching is just how much these scumbags in the governing body care about their money. My guess they attempt to shrug their shoulders and do what they always do and say “who me?”. That is unless they have a situation that’s not under their control. Meaning someone that can show their malfeasance that they have no power over. Someone outside of the USA hockey umbrella. Again, all my opinion but this is  a felony and it’s a slippery slope to brush under the carpet. Especially once it’s public like this

The aforementioned former Head Coach also somehow bled the WVU ACHA program to the brink of extinction 5-6 years ago. Seems like his banishment from the sport should be made permanent.

As a board member (not at this organization) but another PIHL organization...I can not see how at all possible it was for this person to steal $40k.  We discuss anything over $250 (yes, that is $250, not $2,500, not $25,000.... $250) that we see that is not a PIHL or rink invoice being paid (as those are the largest portion of our budget, BY FAR).  We review financials monthly.  4 people have access to it & can see it.  No clue how the heck she did it as it appears she was only the board starting in FEB 2019 ...they would not be playing if they did not pay PIHL....Id assume others on the board would know if they did not pay the rink... How did she steal $40k in one season with NOT ONE PERSON NOTICING... its horrible (then again, reading through their minutes is laughable as a parent high jacked their twitter account at one point and wouldn't give it back, lol)  

There board meeting minutes are online (by the way). Im guessing this helped her get $40k (from Feb 2019)

WAHA will break even with the $13,000 stipend from the School Board. WAHA is cash and expenses flat. Our costs are front-loaded.  Assessments: Voted unanimously to input a mandatory fundraiser of $200 per player

in their 6/17 meeting (https://cdn4.sportngin.com/attachments/document/435f-2190107/WAHA_informational_Meeting_Minutes_june_17_-_approved.docx#_ga=2.268106894.1811200224.1595885587-26346374.1595885586

Jason Medved informed the potential members the treasurer situation is in the process of being taken care of. The authorities have the evidence and pressing charges. There is an insurance policy that covers embezzlement so the money will be returned. The season will start uninterrupted from this situation. We will have the funds to cover the ice fees and the PIHL fees. Outstanding bills and contracts have been paid in full. We will be updating our by-laws to assure this will NOT occur again. There will be 4 people minimum looking at the financial every month.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dazedandconfused said:

The aforementioned former Head Coach also somehow bled the WVU ACHA program to the brink of extinction 5-6 years ago. Seems like his banishment from the sport should be made permanent.

Interesting. I don’t see a thing about the coach in the article or supporting court dockets and have never heard that in any discussion regarding him. It’s also my understanding he isn’t “banished”. Problems between he and parents yes. Also he left the organization before any of this from my understanding. I have more input on it but won’t disclose due to a request it be kept confidential. Regardless, I’d be wary of making erroneous claims. You have an axe to grind with the guy obviously so you can give any opinion you like. But stating false information as fact is a problem. 

Edited by The King

7 minutes ago, Hockey22 said:

As a board member (not at this organization) but another PIHL organization...I can not see how at all possible it was for this person to steal $40k.  We discuss anything over $250 (yes, that is $250, not $2,500, not $25,000.... $250) that we see that is not a PIHL or rink invoice being paid (as those are the largest portion of our budget, BY FAR).  We review financials monthly.  4 people have access to it & can see it.  No clue how the heck she did it as it appears she was only the board starting in FEB 2019 ...they would not be playing if they did not pay PIHL....Id assume others on the board would know if they did not pay the rink... How did she steal $40k in one season with NOT ONE PERSON NOTICING... its horrible (then again, reading through their minutes is laughable as a parent high jacked their twitter account at one point and wouldn't give it back, lol)  

There board meeting minutes are online (by the way). Im guessing this helped her get $40k (from Feb 2019)

WAHA will break even with the $13,000 stipend from the School Board. WAHA is cash and expenses flat. Our costs are front-loaded.  Assessments: Voted unanimously to input a mandatory fundraiser of $200 per player

in their 6/17 meeting (https://cdn4.sportngin.com/attachments/document/435f-2190107/WAHA_informational_Meeting_Minutes_june_17_-_approved.docx#_ga=2.268106894.1811200224.1595885587-26346374.1595885586

Jason Medved informed the potential members the treasurer situation is in the process of being taken care of. The authorities have the evidence and pressing charges. There is an insurance policy that covers embezzlement so the money will be returned. The season will start uninterrupted from this situation. We will have the funds to cover the ice fees and the PIHL fees. Outstanding bills and contracts have been paid in full. We will be updating our by-laws to assure this will NOT occur again. There will be 4 people minimum looking at the financial every month.

You’d be surprised what can be accomplished when no one is looking. It’ll all become clear soon enough. 

5 minutes ago, The King said:

You’d be surprised what can be accomplished when no one is looking. It’ll all become clear soon enough. 

The fact that no one is looking is even worse.... shame on the entire board and honestly the school district for giving a stipend without asking to see the financials....just saying...most PIHL teams dont get anything from their schools....and its teams like this that is going to make it harder for Club Sports in the future.  

I just got a little insight on this issue, the coaching issue and this person stealing were not related Issues  even though it appears the money was being stolen for almost 2 years. The coach being let go had nothing to do with this theft. That’s all I got so far. In general both of these issues arw not a good look for that program. 

16 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

I just got a little insight on this issue, the coaching issue and this person stealing were not related Issues  even though it appears the money was being stolen for almost 2 years. The coach being let go had nothing to do with this theft. That’s all I got so far. In general both of these issues arw not a good look for that program. 

I went through their meeting minutes.  She did not take the position of treasurer until Feb 2019 - By June 2020 she is referenced in their board meeting as having action taken against her. So she did it between 1 year and 1 year 4 months'ish)  and mind you March - May Id assume their was no money coming in (but apparently it was going out...lol) 

Seems like they have more issues than People Magazine over at West A.....

15 minutes ago, Hockey22 said:

I went through their meeting minutes.  She did not take the position of treasurer until Feb 2019 - By June 2020 she is referenced in their board meeting as having action taken against her. So she did it between 1 year and 1 year 4 months'ish)  and mind you March - May Id assume their was no money coming in (but apparently it was going out...lol) 

Seems like they have more issues than People Magazine over at West A.....

Like I said, I was told the coach and the thief were there at the same time, the incidents not related from what I’m told. Yes, not a good look for that school. 

5 hours ago, The King said:

Everyone forgot about the local mega car dealership in Wexford ? It was all over the news, even Narional.  A woman at Baierl stole 10 million over a 10 year span. She only got caught because she was an accountant making 60k a year yet she was bragging about buying houses in Florida, having personal visits with the pope etc. I believe she is still in jail. I’ll have to google the story. This situation made me remember it, we take our Honda there for inspection & service! 

On 7/27/2020 at 6:02 PM, Hockey22 said:

My daughter's boyfriend plays for WA and he told her the dad got mad and pulled his kid because he wasn't playing enough.  How ridiculous are some parents that they refuse to give twitter back. They let the dad return this season despite his twitter theft.  I'm sure there will be more coming out WA

Between the original topic months ago, now the theft, I started asking around about the West Allegheny situation. I ended up down a rabbit hole with 1st, 2nd & 3rd Hand Info. 

nepotism, parent factions, player factions along with some board corruption dating back 3 presidents. Honestly all typical WPA HS hockey drama. If You’ve been around the game long enough, I’m sure you’ve come across this sort of thing. 

Before all the WA folks start making accounts and bashing each other, causing another thread to get locked, along with added opinion BS to shift through, I’d like to leave you all with this. 

everything I’ve been told & seen, there are only TWO 100% documented facts that can’t be denied or twisted to a Parent / Coach / Board Member narrative.  1 - the coach was suspended for the entirety of last season by mid am. 2 - a board member stole money.  

19 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Between the original topic months ago, now the theft, I started asking around about the West Allegheny situation. I ended up down a rabbit hole with 1st, 2nd & 3rd Hand Info. 

nepotism, parent factions, player factions along with some board corruption dating back 3 presidents. Honestly all typical WPA HS hockey drama. If You’ve been around the game long enough, I’m sure you’ve come across this sort of thing. 

Before all the WA folks start making accounts and bashing each other, causing another thread to get locked, along with added opinion BS to shift through, I’d like to leave you all with this. 

everything I’ve been told & seen, there are only TWO 100% documented facts that can’t be denied or twisted to a Parent / Coach / Board Member narrative.  1 - the coach was suspended for the entirety of last season by mid am. 2 - a board member stole money.  

Sounds like a deep rabbit hole. I’m sure Alice’s head is spinning. Anyway, did any of the conversations you had answer the following question-

are there any MidAm officials that live in the WA area or have any connection to the residents?

21 hours ago, The King said:

Sounds like a deep rabbit hole. I’m sure Alice’s head is spinning. Anyway, did any of the conversations you had answer the following question-

are there any MidAm officials that live in the WA area or have any connection to the residents?

Yes. I was not expecting it to be such a deep hole! Looking at the mid am site it doesn’t appear anyone lives in that school district. I still have a friend involved in district, He’s not a pa guy but I could contact him,  Message me if there is something in particular. 

49 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Yes. I was not expecting it to be such a deep hole! Looking at the mid am site it doesn’t appear anyone lives in that school district. I still have a friend involved in district, He’s not a pa guy but I could contact him,  Message me if there is something in particular. 

No I got the answer actually. All the info will most likely come out in a court room it seems. I wouldn’t say this is typical youth sports drama. Rather an example of what unchecked youth sports drama can spiral into. Not much more needs to be said. It’s all part of public record now. And as it gets dig into deeper, the actions of these folks running that organization as well as who aided them will unfortunately be scrutinized publicly it appears. What I’d suggest is similar to what you’ve suggested, there are facts and opinions. Although not all facts are public (yet) they will be. Unfortunately people’s lives are going to be affected. This is why I suggest to all to be very wary of who you’re giving money to and just because a parent board member or “USA hockey official” says so, does not make it either legitimate or ethical information. As with anything, just watch, the truth always comes out and this one isn’t over for awhile. 

3 hours ago, The King said:

No I got the answer actually. All the info will most likely come out in a court room it seems. I wouldn’t say this is typical youth sports drama. Rather an example of what unchecked youth sports drama can spiral into. Not much more needs to be said. It’s all part of public record now. And as it gets dig into deeper, the actions of these folks running that organization as well as who aided them will unfortunately be scrutinized publicly it appears. What I’d suggest is similar to what you’ve suggested, there are facts and opinions. Although not all facts are public (yet) they will be. Unfortunately people’s lives are going to be affected. This is why I suggest to all to be very wary of who you’re giving money to and just because a parent board member or “USA hockey official” says so, does not make it either legitimate or ethical information. As with anything, just watch, the truth always comes out and this one isn’t over for awhile. 

This is definitely in the courts, I’ll be curious to hear it unfold.