So it starts

I don’t know much about youth football, could someone clarify what ages ? Is this like little league baseball ? 

youth football Canceled - the sport most western pa folks think as untouchable. does youth hockey get canceled ? i was told about a varsity hockey tournament next weekend in cranberry that just had its rules changed - 4 on 4 (9) skaters per team & no contact. Why play the game at this point ? That’s not hockey. 

https://www.wtae.com/article/western-pennsylvania-youth-football-league-2020-season-canceled/33500454#

19 minutes ago, Eddie Shore said:

Already discussed in other threads, youth sports are not going to happen in any form.  You can take that to the bank.

Well tell that to all the baseball and lacrosse tournaments going on every weekend. Plus all the summer hockey leagues that have been going on for months. 

Sports will happen. What form they take may differ. 

30 minutes ago, Eddie Shore said:

Already discussed in other threads, youth sports are not going to happen in any form.  You can take that to the bank.

I get all that, I agree. I’m asking what age is considered youth football. What does it compare to ? Football is the untouchable PA sport. 

Despite being accused of being someone else’s Alt, i will stand by my assertion that fall sports either gets shut down before it starts, or it all gets shut down once an outbreak occurs directly attributable to football 
 Wolfie and Levine aint gonna let it happen

Edited by Guru

1 hour ago, Guru said:

Despite being accused of being someone else’s Alt, i will stand by my assertion that fall sports either gets shut down before it starts, or it all gets shut down once an outbreak occurs directly attributable to football 
 Wolfie and Levine aint gonna let it happen

I can see the schools shutting down in 2-3 weeks once kids go back. nothing will be resolved until the election is over. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

Well tell that to all the baseball and lacrosse tournaments going on every weekend. Plus all the summer hockey leagues that have been going on for months. 

Sports will happen. What form they take may differ. 

The key with these examples is that summer hockey like Quest has reduced rosters, and referees to fit under the 25 indoor limit.  That doesn't work for regular season hockey, basketball, etc.  And as for baseball and lacrosse, the state mandate now is 250 for outside gatherings so they can be pulled off at this point.

38 minutes ago, HereWithPopcorn said:

The key with these examples is that summer hockey like Quest has reduced rosters, and referees to fit under the 25 indoor limit.  That doesn't work for regular season hockey, basketball, etc.  And as for baseball and lacrosse, the state mandate now is 250 for outside gatherings so they can be pulled off at this point.

Like I said "sports will happen. What form they take might differ"

15 hours ago, Danner27 said:

I don’t know much about youth football, could someone clarify what ages ? Is this like little league baseball ? 

youth football Canceled - the sport most western pa folks think as untouchable. does youth hockey get canceled ? i was told about a varsity hockey tournament next weekend in cranberry that just had its rules changed - 4 on 4 (9) skaters per team & no contact. Why play the game at this point ? That’s not hockey. 

https://www.wtae.com/article/western-pennsylvania-youth-football-league-2020-season-canceled/33500454#

Youth football can start as early as six depending on the league. Ages go until junior high. 

1 hour ago, HSFBLJ said:

Uniontown just shut down fall sports.  Football girls/boys soccer.  The district will be virtual and following the Gov's guidelines.

That can't be right, we are playing baseball and lacrosse right now.  You mean things are changing again??  Hmmmm :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eddie Shore said:

That can't be right, we are playing baseball and lacrosse right now.  You mean things are changing again??  Hmmmm :classic_biggrin:

So Uniontown cancelled football and soccer and that makes your statement "youth sports will not happen in any form" correct?  I think you are going to have to define what you mean a little more - school sports, football, outdoor sports, indoor sports?  Because your statement that I responded to is already wrong. Sports are happening in a form. That also includes flag football that is currently being played in the Pittsburgh region among youth of all ages.   But I guess if you wanna shift your sentence away from "youth sports will not happen in any form" you can find a way to make yourself right. 

21 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Old News here, but more significant will be the updated youth sports guidelines form state health secretary. The news said that is due to be released in the next few days. I am thinking that they will suggest contact sports be limited to non-contact drills and games will be postponed.

20 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

Old News here, but more significant will be the updated youth sports guidelines form state health secretary. The news said that is due to be released in the next few days. I am thinking that they will suggest contact sports be limited to non-contact drills and games will be postponed.

What’s the point of non contact football and hockey ?  you are correct, it will go that way if there is going to be any sports. 

If there isn't a season, I sincerely hope that most (if not all) rinks are very smart and strategic about this and remain open while offering plenty of power skating, skills instruction, 3on3 games, etc all day everyday. Hockey 2-3 times a week is my kids only shred of normalcy right now and I honestly don't think his mental state can take an entire year of no in person school AND no hockey. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, forbin said:

If there isn't a season, I sincerely hope that most (if not all) rinks are very smart and strategic about this and remain open while offering plenty of power skating, skills instruction, 3on3 games, etc all day everyday. Hockey 2-3 times a week is my kids only shred of normalcy right now and I honestly don't think his mental state can take an entire year of no in person school AND no hockey. 

I hope that rinks can stay open and offer all that. I just worry about relying on the people that are running such things. There are too many with a cavalier attitude that will not do things right and mess things up for everyone else. So many people aren't taking guidelines seriously and many of them are heavily involved with youth sports. I was going by a field yesterday and watched a youth football practice for a little while. I saw coaches gathering the kids in tightly-packed huddles for instruction and giving kids high fives & handshakes. Many kids on the sidelines mingling & rough-housing and nobody even caring. I also saw kids outside the rink [waiting to get in for their session], and all gathered closely laughing & horsing around without a care. Parents & coaches need to be smarter about this.

Yeah, while I'm not a Wolfe hater, I have to disagree with his statement. 

For one, the Athletic did a Q&A with a Canadian doctor that stated that while locker rooms may be a danger, there is almost zero risk playing hockey as the direct contact is brief. For two, outdoor transmission is very low. It's about length of exposure and viral load. There's no reason sports cant be played with some modification and self-control. 

Sitting in a classroom for hours indoors in close proximity is completely different. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

Yeah, while I'm not a Wolfe hater, I have to disagree with his statement. 

For one, the Athletic did a Q&A with a Canadian doctor that stated that while locker rooms may be a danger, there is almost zero risk playing hockey as the direct contact is brief. For two, outdoor transmission is very low. It's about length of exposure and viral load. There's no reason sports cant be played with some modification and self-control. 

Sitting in a classroom for hours indoors in close proximity is completely different. 

OK. The "Canadian doctor" may be reputable and may be 100% correct. But, based on many other medically trained opinions, he/she may be wrong. Everyone seems to latch on to the opinion that fits most with what they would like to hear. There is a lot that is not known. What is known is that the more we gather, the more the spread. That is why we should proceed with caution. I want to hope that your Canadian doctor is right. I do like your statement "There's no reason sports cant be played with some modification and self-control. " I don't think enough people are on board with that statement and just want to jump right in as if life is back to normal.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

The wolf came out this morning, his RECOMMENDATION is no high school sports until Jan 1st. That’s right in the middle of the normal flu season. 

But he didn't specifically say "high School". Did he? It sounded like he said all sports