So it starts

32 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

@Eddie Shore Get ready, as you & I have said since april, sports are all about the be over. The piaa is going to decide all of pa’s fate, even club sports. There was only a handful of us from the start stating this. I think the @The King was also one as I got accused of being his alt account. 

The way I read this was:

1. Governor asked them to come up with a plan, they did, Governor said, "looks ok".  They thought they were good.

2. Other influencers started bending the Governors ear say, "hey we need to lock down, non-essential activities like sports, etc..."

3. Governor comes back and says, "hey this is a deadly virus, blah, blah, blah - everyone needs to do their part, blah blah, blah - I am strongly recommending no sports until 2021, blah, blah, blah.

4. PIAA says, "where the heck did this come from?  You are changing the rules again?"

5. PIAA sends out Twitter letter to calm the masses which states, "we did everything they said to do, now they are changing their minds, we don't like it, we will hold everything for two weeks until we meet with him and see if we can change his mind back".  I wish them luck.

Like I have said all along, we'll see...……………...

51 minutes ago, lefthook18 said:

https://wjactv.com/news/local/piaa-delays-mandatory-sports-activities-for-2-weeks-seeks-further-discussion-with-wolf

I guess they're delaying for two weeks then gonna make a decision... looks like they wanna still go through will fall sports though.

Who is they?  The PIAA?  It sure isn't the Governor, he said he doesn't want to go through with fall sports.

Not trying to upset everyone, but what "they" want, doesn't matter.  It will be up to the government to decide if they will allow them or not.  Just like everything else, they say we strongly recommend you do things, until people don't do them, then they mandate.  The precedent has been set, in the end it is not the PIAA's decision if they will have sports or not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eddie Shore said:

The way I read this was:

1. Governor asked them to come up with a plan, they did, Governor said, "looks ok".  They thought they were good.

2. Other influencers started bending the Governors ear say, "hey we need to lock down, non-essential activities like sports, etc..."

3. Governor comes back and says, "hey this is a deadly virus, blah, blah, blah - everyone needs to do their part, blah blah, blah - I am strongly recommending no sports until 2021, blah, blah, blah.

4. PIAA says, "where the heck did this come from?  You are changing the rules again?"

5. PIAA sends out Twitter letter to calm the masses which states, "we did everything they said to do, now they are changing their minds, we don't like it, we will hold everything for two weeks until we meet with him and see if we can change his mind back".  I wish them luck.

Like I have said all along, we'll see...……………...

Sounds about right. This will only effect school hockey in the end. Tier 1 will definitely go on. Teams from Michigan are scheduling games in Ohio as we speak, with a plan to play their home games after Jan 2021. Will it effect Pahl ? The junior leagues are opening. Of course I’m only speaking about the sport of hockey with these comments.  

the part I can not wrap my head around -   All things considered, let’s just all agree and say every thing about covid is 100% true, there is no politics involved. When it comes to hockey, wouldn’t school and Pahl be the most likely to be ok ? It’s looking like it’s going to be the opposite. Tier 1 & travel hockey will happen, pihl won’t. That makes ZERO sense to me until, of course you follow the money. Tier 1 and juniors are huge money makers for private business, They will get theirs by scheduling in different states. 

I'm trying to figure out if this was a goof on Wolf's part or a sly way to put the restriction in place without just coming out and banning it.  

In summary: The policy had been that it was up to local authorities to determine if sports could be held (i.e. county health departments, school districts, etc.).  Yesterday he hosted a long Covid-19 press conference and at the very end, in response to a question he mentions that he thinks there should not be sports until next year. No further comment or questions on it and the presser ends.  People start to realize what he said and start asking for details.  His "team" realized what he said and starts to scramble.  Five hours later they "clarify their recommendation".  Everyone is now scrambling to figure out where they stand.

My guess:  He wanted to stop sports from the beginning, but didn't want to take the heat.  So, he left it up to the local authorities.  The local authorities are busy worrying about testing, contact tracing and trying to reopen.  He doesn't like that they have not acted on sports, but still does not want to be the bad guy and simply update his policy.  So, either unconsciously or on purpose mentions his thoughts at the end of the presser.  Now he is hoping that the local authorities will ban sports, which is his desire.  But, if they do it he won't take the heat.

In the end, as I have said before, it does not matter what the PIAA, USAH, MidAM, Atlantic District, PIHL, ICSHL or any other league says.  Wolf has the final say.  This is just politics at this point.  He should step up and make a determination get out of the way.  

OneHockey is hosting a large tournament in West Chester this weekend at this end of the state.  We'll see how it goes.

Does anyone really think that strict guidelines will be followed? Half the people don't even believe this pandemic is a big deal. Those that run youth sports are just a cross-section of our society. We have failed miserably at containing this virus in the US. I have very little confidence that the people running youth sports will fair any better. In theory... It seems that sports could be run safely, but I think we all know what the reality is.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Quinlan2020 said:

Does anyone really think that strict guidelines will be followed? Half the people don't even believe this pandemic is a big deal. Those that run youth sports are just a cross-section of our society. We have failed miserably at containing this virus in the US. I have very little confidence that the people running youth sports will fair any better. In theory... It seems that sports could be run safely, but I think we all know what the reality is.

People are getting better from what I've seen. More mask wearing. My rink has really cracked down.

59 minutes ago, The King said:

If any of you truly believe that any one entity including the governor has any say in this you’re blind. Lawyers control everything. The second people start raising hell about their kid not getting their senior season, every lawyer that represents every side of this is sending letters to each other strongly encouraging shut downs and non involvement. Nobody wants liability. But the problem governing bodies like the PIAA are having is that they don’t have good PR staffs. It’s over. You just haven’t been fully notified because of inadequate PR

Please see "other influencers" bending his ear.  I think we are saying the same thing.

1 hour ago, Saucey said:

People are getting better from what I've seen. More mask wearing. My rink has really cracked down.

I was snooping around the playing fields around my house and couldn't help but notice the lack of concern for any social distancing among the youth football participants, Coaches were actively encouraging high-fives, handshakes & huddling & yelling in close proximity. Kids on the sidelines were all over each other and parents were congregating all around the fields and in the parking lots. It was like stepping back to 2019. Too many people just don't care. Blame those people for possibly shutting down sports instead of the governor.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Quinlan2020 said:

I was snooping around the playing fields around my house and couldn't help but notice the lack of concern for any social distancing among the youth football participants, Coaches were actively encouraging high-fives, handshakes & huddling & yelling in close proximity. Kids on the sidelines were all over each other and parents were congregating all around the fields and in the parking lots. It was like stepping back to 2019. Too many people just don't care. Blame those people for possibly shutting down sports instead of the governor.

Kids are going to be kids. I had to remind them to keep their masks up at practice. Shame on parents, tho.

On 8/7/2020 at 6:45 PM, Quinlan2020 said:

This is precisely why youth sports is at risk. 

Because there is a large segment of society who are not intelligent enough to “do the small stuff” (I.e. wear a mask, social distance, look like you are trying). 

Wherever you stand on the issue, your personal belief is your personal belief. However, you are a gigantic douche nozzle if you are a football coach, or any other coach, and you are not following protocol. 

This is equivalent to resisting the police. We all know the power trip some of those guys get on. So you play it cool and follow along, don’t escalate the situation with Officer Beatsmywife. Same premise. 

I digress, there are just too many low IQ delinquents out there to not draw attention to youth sports. They do not step back and think, if we stay out of the limelight and follow protocol... we could fair a lot better than running around the AstroTurf making out with each other every time someone catches the ball. 

Parents can’t help themselves. They see Joe and Mitch partying in the parking lot... we’ll we are going to be cool too. 

No way, these coaches need to be bad asses. And they’re going to show everyone how badass they are. Resisting the government, getting youth sports cancelled for the direction of this and by proxy turning our kids into a bunch of video game e-sports stars. 

Edited by ctil20
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Heard Pahl will shut down if piaa does, can any of the  Pahl higher ups around here confirm ? I’ve heard some pihl teams are moving forward, others are waiting on the piaa. Esmark is still planning their season, PPE is up in the air. As I said above, Michigan tier 1 teams are scheduling games in Ohio for the remainder of this year. Ultimately, the opposite of what I thought appears to be happening. I thought local leagues around the states would be ok (Pahl / Pihl type)  but the travel teams would get canceled, everything is pointing to the complete opposite. 

13 hours ago, ctil20 said:

This is precisely why youth sports is at risk. 

Because there is a large segment of society who are not intelligent enough to “do the small stuff” (I.e. wear a mask, social distance, look like you are trying). 

Wherever you stand on the issue, your personal belief is your personal belief. However, you are a gigantic douche nozzle if you are a football coach, or any other coach, and you are not following protocol. 

This is equivalent to resisting the police. We all know the power trip some of those guys get on. So you play it cool and follow along, don’t escalate the situation with Officer Beatsmywife. Same premise. 

I digress, there are just too many low IQ delinquents out there to not draw attention to youth sports. They do not step back and think, if we stay out of the limelight and follow protocol... we could fair a lot better than running around the AstroTurf making out with each other every time someone catches the ball. 

Parents can’t help themselves. They see Joe and Mitch partying in the parking lot... we’ll we are going to be cool too. 

No way, these coaches need to be bad asses. And they’re going to show everyone how badass they are. Resisting the government, getting youth sports cancelled for the direction of this and by proxy turning our kids into a bunch of video game e-sports stars. 

image.thumb.jpeg.24a9e146319ba6d7b5c43e0663296ed2.jpegimage.thumb.png.a30b12d4b9a95e96b3064c390e7efcfe.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quinlan2020 said:

Once again, the totally stupid argument about kids being low risk. People still don't understand the part about stopping the spread? Wow.

Respectfully, it wasn’t about stopping the spread. In an open society with free movement that is just a bridge too far. Can’t be done.

It was, and should still be, about flattening that curve. The virus will spread, people will get it, need to stop the overflow of critical care beds.  For the most part Pittsburgh and the immediate surrounding counties have done that. 

That being said, the Governor can stop it all with the stroke of a pen and there isn’t a thing we can do about it.

limiting restaurant and bar capacity and gatherings such as weddings and funerals has reduced the number of daily infections. sports have been active this whole time while the spread has been reducing. horrible for the restaurant and bar industry - since the limitations are working how will they be lifted? it’s about mitigation not elimination. it’s gonna be around for a while we have to do the best we can to protect the vulnerable while living life. this is absurd

I do not understand how anyone could “cancel” youth/school sports... when they will be cramming 200-2k kids into a building for school. 

How does 80 or so kids, 10 coaches and 4 refs standing on a football field outdoors even scrape the surface of risk... compared to sardines in a can (school classrooms and hallways). 

Without bias, the risk with 25 people indoors is minuscule compared to 2k teenagers in a high school. 

So if we are going to go all out and open schools, cancelling sports just seems like some kind of PR move. 

At the very least, teams should be able to do intra squad activities until there’s a better window to play real games. 

Edited by ctil20
  • Like 1

Taking the governors feelings out of the equation. Sports could easily happen and probably go largely unscathed in regards to virus spread. 

The problem remains, for every coach and organization that is just doing the right thing, following guidelines. You have 5 other shit heads who are letting their personal beliefs and “muh freedoms” get in the way of common sense. 

The parents and the freedom fighters are the problem. Make no mistake. If Tom Wolf knew that there wouldn’t be an orgy of parents at high school football games, or youth hockey games, I promise you sports wouldn’t even be on the states radar. 

I digress, once again, the freedom fighters, the “patriots”, the coaches, the parents who are looking to “make a point” over what is best for the players are the sole reason why sports is at risk. 

As always, you can have your beliefs, you may even be right about them. Who knows? The FACT of the matter is the governing AUTHORITY feels a certain way about the situation and they are calling the shots. 

So you can either check your ego and do the strenuous, time consuming, death grappling task of wearing a mask, social distancing, not letting parents conduct their orgies... NOT DRAW ATTENTION TO THE YOUTH SPORT ATMOSPHERE. 

Or we can all continue to run around ignoring the states demand, grunting “merica”... and see what happens. 

• Like 2

Are you wrong for thinking this is a bunch of non-sense? Maybe not? We don’t have enough data to make that determination yet. Data meaning real, vital, data... not the data conjured up from Tucker Carlson’s producer. 

BUT can’t we all just do the simple ass things that are being asked... so we, and most importantly, the kids can fly under the radar? 

or are we so fucking egocentric that we can’t help ourselves. We just have to let everyone know where we stand? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ctil20 said:

Taking the governors feelings out of the equation. Sports could easily happen and probably go largely unscathed in regards to virus spread. 

The problem remains, for every coach and organization that is just doing the right thing, following guidelines. You have 5 other shit heads who are letting their personal beliefs and “muh freedoms” get in the way of common sense. 

The parents and the freedom fighters are the problem. Make no mistake. If Tom Wolf knew that there wouldn’t be an orgy of parents at high school football games, or youth hockey games, I promise you sports wouldn’t even be on the states radar. 

I digress, once again, the freedom fighters, the “patriots”, the coaches, the parents who are looking to “make a point” over what is best for the players are the sole reason why sports is at risk. 

As always, you can have your beliefs, you may even be right about them. Who knows? The FACT of the matter is the governing AUTHORITY feels a certain way about the situation and they are calling the shots. 

So you can either check your ego and do the strenuous, time consuming, death grappling task of wearing a mask, social distancing, not letting parents conduct their orgies... NOT DRAW ATTENTION TO THE YOUTH SPORT ATMOSPHERE. 

Or we can all continue to run around ignoring the states demand, grunting “merica”... and see what happens. 

Thanks. You nailed it. I couldn't agree more.

6 hours ago, ctil20 said:

100% correct