So it starts

Dear SAHA Families:

The SAHA Board of Directors was notified that an on-ice participant from the Bantam 2007 team tested positive for COVID-19.  The participant was on the ice at Printscape Arena on August 4th from 8:30-9:25PM and August 5th from 5:40-6:35PM.  The participant has not been to the ice rink since August 5th.  

The Bantam 2007 practice schedule has been revised and the Board will update our families as further information becomes available

This is the second incident I have heard of with Covid at a rink.  I hope they follow up with how the rest of the team is doing.  I know when they first opened they were doing temperature checks at the door. Don't know if they are still doing that. Obviously a good thing that they are making people aware of the situation.

15 hours ago, BeaverFalls said:

Did anyone hear PAHL is axing the pre-season/placement games?  

Yes, I heard that is possible. Too many smaller organizations haven't had their tryouts yet due to lack of ice. If we get a season, it may be very different than we are used to.

17 hours ago, hockey2020 said:

wait so the entire world shut billion dollar industries down so they can blame trump too? nonsense. the college sports industry alone is losing millions if not billions. asia, europe all over the globe events have been cancelled and postponed. is the fear overblown? no one knows. i’m willing to take my chances but your horizons need broadened. 

SHUT is the key word. past tense. the rest of the world is NOW opening. Premiere League, Bundesliga have been playing. South Korea opened schools June 8th and have begun allowing spectators at events. Even Spain and Italy that were getting absolutely crushed have eased restrictions and are beginning to get life going again. So why is there a push for the US to go on a 6 week total lockdown? Why did Wolfe suddenly attack fall sports? Especially since the latest reports showed PA had dropped below the concerning benchmark.  We are no longer concerned, but we're going to shut things down anyway? why? because it's not about safety anymore. 

Like i said, but you chose to ignore, in March we didn't have the knowledge, so the shut down made sense, but there comes a point when you have the understanding of how to mitigate risks and you move forward. The rest of the world is doing just that. yes, there will be set backs, especially with nut sacks like Billy Woods in the world, but there comes a time when you have to start to live again, while doing all you can to protect yourself and others. 

as far as college sports, they aren't losing anything, if anything they stand to make more money by postponing to a point when they can put fans in the stands. they say it's about the safety of the kids, but they will have no qualms about these kids playing from January to June then hitting training camp in early August for next season.  

so to sum this up, what the world did in the past has nothing to do with what is happening currently in the US. Maybe it's your horizons that could use an expansion. 

maybe. but i don’t see it like that. the countries that have opened up have few cases. the states are scared here to turn into texas so the brakes are back on. our numbers went way up within weeks of getting back to normal. do the rise in numbers mean we shouldn’t do anything? not to me and not to you. i agree with you on what i would like to see happening but the leaders are too scared of a nightmare that they lose control of in my opinion.  and come on -  decisions are being made by conference presidents because of fear of an outbreak getting out of hand that will rest on their shoulders. they don’t want to take that chance even though the decisions are causing  a lot of money to be lost lost in many industries including sports/college football.  

lot of good stuff here, let's break it into smaller pieces.

1 hour ago, hockey2020 said:

the countries that have opened up have few cases

they have smaller populations and less testing. if you take enough EU countries to compare to the US population, you will find that the US has given more tests and has LESS positives. 

our numbers went way up within weeks of getting back to normal.

true, they have also now gone down within weeks. PA is now reporting almost all counties in not concerning levels of positive. this is while ice rinks are full, pretty sure baseball is happening, and many people have noted other sports going on. The parks have kids climbing and slobbering all over the place, mom's with their chins straps, snuggled up on the benches. 

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases-50-states

leaders are too scared of a nightmare that they lose control of

well, we know what Trump thinks. he wants everyone out there, right or wrong, get out there. so this statement is my point in a nutshell, because it's only true for one party. how can what is the correct course of action for dealing with a disease be split down party lines?

decisions are being made by conference presidents because of fear

right, but it's out of fear of being sued, not out of fear for anyone's safety or well-being. as most ADs have pointed out, the kids would be much safer under the watchful eye of the school's athletic department, than being shipped out on their own. are these schools even having on site classes? if they don't play football will these kids be sent home? where they can attend all the underground dance parties their hearts desire. 

like you said, we're in agreement about what we think should be happening, and i think most people agree as well, BUT we don't matter. We the people do not matter. Not when there are political agendas to follow and lawyers itching for lawsuits. we're to dumb to know what to do, what to think, how to feel, or what's best for our children. 

Just keep in mind that when schools open there will be more cases, which leads to more community spread. That community spread will infiltrate every active aspect of society. That includes youth sports. Other viruses will also be present in the fall that will further complicate things. Then all these viruses will further spread in the community. This is the main reason that the state health department doesn't want sports to happen until 2021. I don't necessarily wish that sports be postponed until 2021, but I would prefer a pause until, at least, October. I could see having practices involving individual skills & conditioning until then, but no contact. I would like to allow the return-to-school process settle in a little prior to throwing sports into the mix.

5 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

Just keep in mind that when schools open there will be more cases, which leads to more community spread. That community spread will infiltrate every active aspect of society. That includes youth sports. Other viruses will also be present in the fall that will further complicate things. Then all these viruses will further spread in the community. This is the main reason that the state health department doesn't want sports to happen until 2021. I don't necessarily wish that sports be postponed until 2021, but I would prefer a pause until, at least, October. I could see having practices involving individual skills & conditioning until then, but no contact. I would like to allow the return-to-school process settle in a little prior to throwing sports into the mix.

Another bump in cases is expected in mid to late September (Labor Day holiday plus the opening of schools)

As a parent I want my kids back at school, I also want each of them to have opportunity to participate in the sport they love, but I also recognize that it may not be possible for the the two to co-exist for the short term

Agree that a pause In competition until October or November may be allow for successful mitigation efforts

30 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

Sports have been going on for months now. I understand what you’re saying but you can’t just cancel all ongoing sports until October then resume again. Unless there’s a mandate, I don’t see hockey getting canceled. Teams will still travel even with a mandate. Most organizations wouldn’t enforce it anyway because they don’t want to lose money either. 

what schools are opening in person? Most school districts that i have heard about are online for at least the first 9 weeks. schools are definitely a different animal, especially the buses. but this really isn't about a mitigation effort. Did the Departments of Health and Education just find out about school 6 days ago? was this a surprise? 

maybe this quote will clarify

“For reasons beyond understanding, the governor waited until practices have already started, equipment has already been purchased, fees have already been paid, and dreams of a return to normalcy have already been formed by athletes and families alike,” Gottesman said in a release.

if it was about safety, all the reasonable suggestions you people are making about delaying would have been put in place when cases spiked in June and July, but they allowed sports to continue all summer, preparations for fall to be made and then, suddenly decided it was too unsafe. 

52 minutes ago, miked said:

what schools are opening in person? Most school districts that i have heard about are online for at least the first 9 weeks. schools are definitely a different animal, especially the buses. but this really isn't about a mitigation effort. Did the Departments of Health and Education just find out about school 6 days ago? was this a surprise? 

maybe this quote will clarify

“For reasons beyond understanding, the governor waited until practices have already started, equipment has already been purchased, fees have already been paid, and dreams of a return to normalcy have already been formed by athletes and families alike,” Gottesman said in a release.

if it was about safety, all the reasonable suggestions you people are making about delaying would have been put in place when cases spiked in June and July, but they allowed sports to continue all summer, preparations for fall to be made and then, suddenly decided it was too unsafe. 

The schools my kids went to, along with my niece & nephew schools are open normal. Both schools go back at the end of August. 

I would venture to guess that every single pre-caution schools are taking in their buildings will be negated by the buses. 

If the buses are to operate as normal, and I don’t see how they could operate any different. 

Opening schools is quite possibly the dumbest thing this country could do. I realize the effects it has on people’s work situations... but this is what it is. 

We are managing the situation well enough right now. Cases are there but the majority of us are able to get on with life, albeit different. Think about it, how many different people are you coming into close contact with daily. Probably not that many for the majority of us. 

Yet, we are going to send kids into a building with hundreds, sometimes thousands of other kids/humans daily/bi-daily and expect it to work? Why even attempt this? 

We all know what is going to happen. It’s going to turn into a shit show. Covid will pop up in the school, parents are going to freak out and keep kids home etc. 

Yes we all understand that kids for the large part, do not suffer the same consequences as adults. The issue, that the nay sayers cannot wrap their heads around is the fact that kids get it, maybe don’t have down time from it, but still spread it. 

Opening schools will not be looked at favorably in the history books. 

This is a collective stupidity though, and it’s going to take a district or two getting hammered by the virus for people to get it unfortunately. 

Edited by ctil20

Some of these districts took parental “surveys” to see if they should open or not. Talk about stupid. 

This country is just one train wreck after another anymore. It’s not only politics (both sides). It’s the every day, vanity and self serving culture of society. 

Every single one of us knows this school situation is going to end up slamming in to an ice burg... cracking in half and sinking. Half the ship has given up and doesn’t care, the other half is pretending the ice burg doesn’t exist. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Saucey said:

Yes, I heard that is possible. Too many smaller organizations haven't had their tryouts yet due to lack of ice. If we get a season, it may be very different than we are used to.

Midgets and bantams are definitely not having placements. I thought I had heard that the squirts and peewees might still have some placement games, though.

49 minutes ago, Lifelongbender said:

Midgets and bantams are definitely not having placements. I thought I had heard that the squirts and peewees might still have some placement games, though.

You would think that the PAHL would provide some (any) information on their website to let people know what is going on.  How many organizations have not held tryouts yet? These delaying tactics with sports are very annoying. It just seems that no one wants to be the bad guy to shut things down.  All I know is that I have seen a lot of Hockey all over SW PA since the end of May and have only heard of 2 incidents in regard to hockey players having Covid.  I can't imagine the PAHL shutting down.  Would all of these organizations that have had fees paid in and ice time rented have to refund money?  I can't help but see a big mess.  I used to be optimistic! Now not so much.

11 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

You would think that the PAHL would provide some (any) information on their website to let people know what is going on.  How many organizations have not held tryouts yet? These delaying tactics with sports are very annoying. It just seems that no one wants to be the bad guy to shut things down.  All I know is that I have seen a lot of Hockey all over SW PA since the end of May and have only heard of 2 incidents in regard to hockey players having Covid.  I can't imagine the PAHL shutting down.  Would all of these organizations that have had fees paid in and ice time rented have to refund money?  I can't help but see a big mess.  I used to be optimistic! Now not so much.

You're right, but I just don't see how their attorneys would advise them to keep going based on the states recommendation to stop. What would happen if there is an outbreak that gets linked to a serious illness or death? There will be legal ramifications. There will be more of a chance for outbreaks once schools start opening and people start gathering more indoors during colder weather. Things have been pretty quiet so far, but the fall will likely be different.

13 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

You're right, but I just don't see how their attorneys would advise them to keep going based on the states recommendation to stop. What would happen if there is an outbreak that gets linked to a serious illness or death? There will be legal ramifications. There will be more of a chance for outbreaks once schools start opening and people start gathering more indoors during colder weather. Things have been pretty quiet so far, but the fall will likely be different.

So the waivers that are being signed at the rinks aren't worth the paper they are written on!  Do you think the reality is the legal ramifications or the health risk?  Can't we associate legal ramifications to anything we do? Drive a car, cut the grass, visit the neighbor? Where does it end?   How long do we wait around hoping for something different to happen. What's going to be different January 1, 2021?  How does that become the magic date that sports can begin again? Or is it just another delaying tactic? At some point doesn't the human race have to decide to exist with Covid-19?  And why do they report total cases like everyone still has it!  Wouldn't the public be better served to know how many active cases there are?  I believe this is in large part a media perpetuated pandemic,

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

What's going to be different January 1, 2021?

Did you see Paul Zeise's piece on this? Nothing's going to be different in January. In fact, it will be worse since it will be peak flu and cold season. No way there will be college football then.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/paul-zeise/2020/08/11/Spring-college-football-is-the-latest-idiotic-idea-in-a-year-of-idiocy/stories/202008110125?cid=search

On 8/12/2020 at 9:17 AM, forbin said:

Printscape has a fancy new temperature reader that reads your arm at the front desk and is requiring everyone to be scanned when you enter. This was as of 8/6 when I was there last.

Half of the people I know who has Covid never even had a fever. Especially the 3 kids I knew who had it. 

13 minutes ago, Hky05 said:

Half of the people I know who has Covid never even had a fever. Especially the 3 kids I knew who had it. 

I always kind of laugh at the temperature checks. I would really like to know how many people with fevers are actually trying to go anywhere at this point. Shame on them if they are. Temperature checks can't hurt, but it's a very weak layer of safety.