So it starts

54 minutes ago, BeaverFalls said:

From their website they are requesting only one parent per player for their general rules. 

I had thought I had seen on a flyer they were going to be full roster games but can’t find that right now. Was not USA hockey sanctioned from my understanding but must’ve gotten insurance elsewhere. 

Uh oh h. I sincerely doubt they got insurance. Who is going to write that policy?

I hope the rinks all follow the rules. It is really, really an incredibly bad look for the sport when people are trying to get the law changed and you have a decent segment of that population demonstrating they can't follow the rules as they are. Going to get us all shut down you jag offs.

• Like 1
  • Fist Bump 1

12 minutes ago, Saucey said:

Uh oh h. I sincerely doubt they got insurance. Who is going to write that policy?

I hope the rinks all follow the rules. It is really, really an incredibly bad look for the sport when people are trying to get the law changed and you have a decent segment of that population demonstrating they can't follow the rules as they are. Going to get us all shut down you jag offs.

So true. That's probably why the restaurants got dinged with the harsher restrictions a couple months ago. Most were complying, but the few rebels ruined it for everyone.

• Like 1
  • 100 2

23 minutes ago, Saucey said:

That's not to mention the essentially threatening stance that Mid Am took about playing in non-sanctioned tournaments.

Sigh.

• 100 2

59 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

So true. That's probably why the restaurants got dinged with the harsher restrictions a couple months ago. Most were complying, but the few rebels ruined it for everyone.

That’s the thing I don’t agree with. Mass punishment. If you have a rebellious rink or restaurant, shut them down. Don’t hammer the ones doing the right thing. 

• Fist Bump 1

I applaud Alpha for letting the games be played with regular rosters. I think we all know, by now, that there isn’t going to be much of a difference, in terms of risk, with regular rosters. 

On the other hand...

I also think Alpha is incompetent for letting parents in. Especially with people coming in from outside the state. 

Turn live barn on and keep the parents out. Nobody cares what is going on at Alpha, nobody is interested in watching Vengeance practices. Seemingly every rink in Pittsburgh has the cameras on, there’s nothing revolutionary going on - on Alpha’s ice pads.  Turn the cameras on and let parents get their fix that way. 

Please stop letting all of these people in your rink, and potentially ruining it for everyone. 

Edited by ctil20
  • 100 2
  • Dislike 1

From the East (District 1):  Suburban One is playing and Central League is postponing.

SUBURBAN ONE LEAGUE PRESS RELEASE – DOYLESTOWN, PA – FRIDAY, August 28, 2020

The Suburban One League Executive Board voted this morning to approve Fall Sports in accordance with the delayed start proposal recommended by the Executive Committee on August 5, 2020. Under the approved plan, sports classified as Low/Moderate Risk which include Golf, Girls' Tennis, Girls’ and Boys’ Cross Country, Water Polo, Girls' and Boys' Soccer, Field Hockey, and Girls' Volleyball can have their first regular season contest as follows: Golf - September 3, 2020, Girls’ Tennis - September 8, 2020 and all other Low/Moderate Risk sports on September 21, 2020. The High-Risk Fall Sport (Football) can begin competition on October 2, 2020.

I like Garnet Valley Footballs approach (emphasis added):

Garnet Valley football coach Mike Ricci said his players were disappointed but determined to use the fall to prepare for what they hope will be a season in the spring.

“They are upset and justifiably,” Ricci said. “But once we work through that, we have the opportunity to respond in whatever way we want to respond. We need to choose to be positive. We need to use this time to continue to train, to get better so when the spring comes we’ll be prepared to be successful.”

On 8/18/2020 at 2:45 PM, Quinlan2020 said:

We were getting to a better place (at least in Western PA) back in Mid-June. Then came the Green Phase. It was downhill from there because bars opened & people decided that partying was OK again. We wouldn't be having much of a debate about schools & sports now if the Green Phase had not gone so poorly.

Yep, that’s what it’s all about, “partying”.  I guess you never thought of the guy who manages these places. Or the single mom I had to let go when we got closed, or the poor guy I had washing dishes, God only knows what he is doing now, probably back to dealing or most likely got busted doing it and now has no money to send his kids moms. That’s ok, cause the bars opening up was just about “partying”.

• 100 1

6 minutes ago, Eddie Shore said:

Yep, that’s what it’s all about, “partying”.  I guess you never thought of the guy who manages these places. Or the single mom I had to let go when we got closed, or the poor guy I had washing dishes, God only knows what he is doing now, probably back to dealing or most likely got busted doing it and now has no money to send his kids moms. That’s ok, cause the bars opening up was just about “partying”.

Quinlan has proven that (s)he has no concern about the common person.  

"If they don't have bread, why don't they eat cake?" - Quinlan2020

• Like 1
  • ROTF 1

2 hours ago, Eddie Shore said:

Then why weren't guidelines followed at so many places? That wasn't real responsible. 

Also, a lot of these same problems for restaurants and bars in the WW2 era. Lost tons of business. Most were able stay solvent. Why? They had money saved that covered or helped cover the huge loss of business. What has changed since then and now, that so many small businesses are unable, or uninterested, in setting enough money aside to ride a bad stretch out?

Edited by nemesis8679

The people going to these established made bad choices by acting as if there was no pandemic. Nothing would be closed if they had. Everyone was asked to social distance from day one, but they went to these places and did not. It's unfortunate that these people were selfish and now the owners of these establishments are suffering. I feel sorry for these business owners, but public health was in mind with these decisions. Ask your representative for a lifeline as you're business is hurting by no fault of your own.

5 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

The people going to these established made bad choices by acting as if there was no pandemic. Nothing would be closed if they had. Everyone was asked to social distance from day one, but they went to these places and did not. It's unfortunate that these people were selfish and now the owners of these establishments are suffering. I feel sorry for these business owners, but public health was in mind with these decisions. Ask your representative for a lifeline as you're business is hurting by no fault of your own.

I don't feel sorry for any that didn't enforce the guidelines. 

Edited by nemesis8679

I feel for your situation. I wish I knew the what the right approach was and is going forward, but I don't. More importantly, I wish state and federal leaders knew what the right approach is and it's clear that they don't.

This whole situation has been mishandled at multiple levels. I've voted both left and right in the past, and I want politics to stay off this board. But there's no easy solutions to your situation, and I believe it's not likely that it would have been better with a Republican governor. Texas has as a Republican governor - they tried to open early and it ended up being a disaster so they ended up shutting down their bars there too. It's not like opening everything up has been shown to be some kind of magical solution in the other states - if anything, it's made things worse. I realize that's no comfort to a bar/restaurant owner, I just don't see that there was a better solution than hoping for those establishments to be able to convert to increased take-out orders which some have been able to do.

I'm fine with states rights and the result of that is that there are going to be different approaches taken. What the federal government should be doing is collecting the data and amalgamating it so that governors have better access to conclusions as to what works best and what doesn't. The governors are trying to do this by talking to each other, but a federal committee that supported both Democratic and Republican governors would be the way to go. Instead, everything at the federal level is focused on whitewashing the issue and pretending like everything is OK.

At the end of the day, I want my kid to have a hockey season. I'd also like to minimize the COVID-related death and morbidity in my community, my country and the world. Don't know the answers to achieve both of these, but I'd like to see better cooperation between all levels of government to achieve it.

• Like 3
  • 100 1

On 8/28/2020 at 10:57 PM, Quinlan2020 said:

Going to a hockey game, a bar, or a restaurant is a choice. 

If anyone wants to stay locked in for the next year, then they can do so. 

But nobody is forcing anyone to meet a friend for a beer without eating a sandwich at the same time or having your kid play 5 on 5 hockey with 15 players in a team.  

it is a personal choice 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bender05 said:

But nobody is forcing anyone to meet a friend for a beer without eating a sandwich at the same time or having your kid play 5 on 5 hockey with 15 players in a team.  

it is a personal choice 

You should then make the same case for driving under the influence. Your body & your car. Nobody should be able to stop you from taking your own risk. right? 

On 8/28/2020 at 11:48 PM, Quinlan2020 said:

I agree. I would loathe any businesses that did not if I was one of the owners that did.

You are such a hypocrite, you and yours  were skating at alpha when it opened early getting fined by the state yet you are going to preach about following rules.   

• Like 1
  • 100 1

1 hour ago, bender05 said:

it is a personal choice 

Not in Pa, it's not. Playing five on five with your full roster is not a choice in PA. Everyone insisting that they can, you are going to get the rinks shut down. Why can't you be a little patient? Why is it that rules are no longer real things? I get you don't like them. I want my kids playing too. The few gonna ruin it for everyone.

Edited by Saucey
Typu

Just now, Quinlan2020 said:

You should then make the same case for driving under the influence. Your body & your car. Nobody should be able to stop you from taking your own risk. right? 

This has to be one of the stupidest counter points I’ve seen in the history of this board. I’m shocked the Scir board hasn’t told you to get off this board yet. 

• Like 1
  • Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

This has to be one of the stupidest counter points I’ve seen in the history of this board. I’m shocked the Scir board hasn’t told you to get off this board yet. 

It only sounds stupid to the small minority of people that do not understand how contagious diseases work or to those that are selfish enough to not consider the possible effect.

• Uh, Ok 1

2 hours ago, Quinlan2020 said:

It only sounds stupid to the small minority of people that do not understand how contagious diseases work or to those that are selfish enough to not consider the possible effect.

Have any kids in our area died that have been playing hockey in these rinks with the same people since May? Or playing baseball and softball and basketball since May? Kids have been playing sports for over 4 months now.  

• Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 11:48 AM, bender05 said:

Have any kids in our area died that have been playing hockey in these rinks with the same people since May? Or playing baseball and softball and basketball since May? Kids have been playing sports for over 4 months now.  

Quinlan2020 is obviously doing a lot of hand wringing, but I don't think it's fair to say that kids just not dying is the only concern. I agree, playing seems to have been largely unproblematic so far. Hope it continues as kids return to school. This is the most mingling that we will have seen since March of any population.

• Like 1