looking for advice/guidance please

Question - I have a concern regarding a possible situation of wrongdoing on the part of a youth hockey coach at an organization where my son plays.  I'm not getting into specifics on a public forum, I'm simply asking for some guidance in how to proceed.  I have verbally expressed this concern to the Safe Sport coordinator for the rink, who I know on a personal level.  I thought the Safe Sport coordinator now had an obligation to report this to USA hockey and open some sort of inquiry, but I was told I was mistaken by this Safe Sport coordinator and that he "didn't need to do anything".  I'm aware that USA hockey has a form or forms that can be filled out regarding problems that I parent may suspect is occurring with a team or coaches, and that is my next step to take since the Safe Sport coordinator told me that he didn't need to do anything.  However, since this Safe Sport coordinator is also friends with said coach, and also acts as an assistant coach for that coach, I suspect this gets a little messy.  Please no bashing.  I'm simply looking for advice on how to proceed - I'm obviously contacting USA hockey myself since I hit a brick wall with the Safe Sport coordinator. Words of advice?  Thanks in advance.

@The King -thank you for your advice.  I'm not trolling.  There is some information that has been made aware to me regarding some potential wrongdoing  and it's very messy with all the personal relationships involved.  I'm simply not OK with letting it get swept under the rug anymore.  I appreciate your time in responding.

To me "wrongdoing" translates to illegal and the police should be involved. It sounds like it's either related to stealing or abuse. The only other issue would be unfair bias toward a particular kids placement/ playing time. That would just fall under the the umbrella of typical youth sports politics as opposed to "wrongdoing". It goes on in every organization and we just have to deal with it the best we can. 

13 hours ago, Cowbell said:

Question - I have a concern regarding a possible situation of wrongdoing on the part of a youth hockey coach at an organization where my son plays.  I'm not getting into specifics on a public forum, I'm simply asking for some guidance in how to proceed.  I have verbally expressed this concern to the Safe Sport coordinator for the rink, who I know on a personal level.  I thought the Safe Sport coordinator now had an obligation to report this to USA hockey and open some sort of inquiry, but I was told I was mistaken by this Safe Sport coordinator and that he "didn't need to do anything".  I'm aware that USA hockey has a form or forms that can be filled out regarding problems that I parent may suspect is occurring with a team or coaches, and that is my next step to take since the Safe Sport coordinator told me that he didn't need to do anything.  However, since this Safe Sport coordinator is also friends with said coach, and also acts as an assistant coach for that coach, I suspect this gets a little messy.  Please no bashing.  I'm simply looking for advice on how to proceed - I'm obviously contacting USA hockey myself since I hit a brick wall with the Safe Sport coordinator. Words of advice?  Thanks in advance.

Some holes in this story. You personally know the safe sport coordinator yet come here to post it public ? I’m sure this person is now well aware If your motives if any of this is true. 

Assuming this is legit, what age are we talking about ? private club team or school team ? Rinks do not have safe sports coordinators unless something has changed since my kids days. 

It's really hard to answer the question not knowing what the allegation is. I advise taking the safesport course, it's free, and it tells you what needs to be reported.  I have realized that some people think safe sport encompasses everything...from my little Crosby isn't getting ice time to (insert harshest actual safe sport matter here). Some things should be reported to a safesport coordinator, some to the board, some even to authorities. And If it involves a child and abuse, any person who is affiliated with the org in a position of power (coach, board, manager, safesport coordinator) needs to report it immediately. 

So your question, though I understand you are looking for advice, truly is just opening a flood of post that may be irrelevant not knowing the situation. (And let's face it, the people you are talking about have probably been identified by someone reading this board, or they read it themselves already)

https://www.usahockey.com/safesportprogram

Safesport violations are meant to be reported anonymously and can be done online. Team safesport coordinator is supposed to oversee the behavior of the entire team and keep things in line. If there are friends and politics involved with coaches including coordinator, airing the situation with said coordinator will result in being ostracized. Go online and file complaint. Safesport is supposed to address the issue.

Cowbell. Another suggestion is to get a few other parents on board and submit the complaint jointly. It will have a greater impact and will lessen the effect on your personal relationship with the local coordinator.  You'll also need others to support your complaint so it's not a he said she said type of thing.  And by all means if something illegal (from abuse to theft) report it immediately to the local authorities.

Best of luck and hope for the quickest of resolution.

• Like 1

Cowbell - if this is something dealing with even suspected abuse (verbal or physical) you need to ChildLine this situation. Provide them with the information and they are the experts in investigating and determining what needs to happen next.

ChildLine is part of a mandated statewide child protective services program designed to accept child abuse referrals and general child well-being concerns, and transmit the information quickly to the appropriate investigating agency.  ChildLine is responsible for receiving verbal and electronic referrals 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 

The toll-free hotline, 1-800-932-0313, is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to receive reports of suspected child abuse.