Midam/USA hockey decision on hockey

Just now, HockeyMom5 said:

This has been my point the entire time, it appears one or two rinks / clubs will kill hockey for everyone. This is why I stated pihl and pahl learned nothing from the piaa or wpial. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

This has been my point the entire time, it appears one or two rinks / clubs will kill hockey for everyone. This is why I stated pihl and pahl learned nothing from the piaa or wpial. 

The pods idea would probably get approved for each sheet of ice per rink if there was a way to cut off the shared facilities in the lobby.

59 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

Thanks for this info. Does NP have limits based on the current state regulations or are they imposing their own?

I've been to Baierl many times over the last few months.  NP has been following the Baierl guidelines which is what the current state regulations are - 25 person max per sheet.

As a parent, I could care less if I get to attend a game.  I just want the kids to play normal hockey.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sarampage said:

I've been to Baierl many times over the last few months.  NP has been following the Baierl guidelines which is what the current state regulations are - 25 person max per sheet.

As a parent, I could care less if I get to attend a game.  I just want the kids to play normal hockey.

I’m the opposite but respect your viewpoint when it comes to watching them play. If that continues to be the case I really can’t justify playing. 

Sports are our family time and bonding time. It’ll be more baseball and something else to fill the void. 

If the benches and ice surface just were considered two separate pods then this wouldn't be an issue at all. If they are able to do football sidelines and field as separate pods, why can't they use the same reasoning for hockey? Because of it being indoors?

I have absolutely seen more than 25 people at different restaurants in Allegheny county as recent as last week. A BBQ place in Robinson. 10 workers behind the counter, and 14 tables of 3-6 people at each table. Yes, masks were worn by the workers and the tables were spaced out, but at least 60 people in the same building at the same time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, forbin said:

If the benches and ice surface just were considered two separate pods then this wouldn't be an issue at all. If they are able to do football sidelines and field as separate pods, why can't they use the same reasoning for hockey? Because of it being indoors?

I have absolutely seen more than 25 people at different restaurants in Allegheny county as recent as last week. A BBQ place in Robinson. 10 workers behind the counter, and 14 tables of 3-6 people at each table. Yes, masks were worn by the workers and the tables were spaced out, but at least 60 people in the same building at the same time.

100% agree

4 minutes ago, Jack Handey said:

How is it that state mandates apply to Baierl and Mt Lebo but not Alpha or Ice Castle?  Apparently some rinks have seceded from the commonwealth.

They don’t. It’s how rink owners interpret. Lebo is community owned paid for by tax dollars. Baierl is privately owned. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BeaverFalls said:

I’m the opposite but respect your viewpoint when it comes to watching them play. If that continues to be the case I really can’t justify playing. 

Sports are our family time and bonding time. It’ll be more baseball and something else to fill the void. 

This may come as surprise to some, but I don't see why we can't let spectators in. There would definitely be a limit to allow for social distancing. People would need to sign up and be assigned to a numbered spot in the bleachers. This would work great in theory, but the fear is that people would not respect those assigned spots and not be able to resist congregating. That would then cause arguments & fight over masks etc... It would get on the news and there would come more pressure to shut down.

Just now, Danner27 said:

They don’t. It’s how rink owners interpret. Lebo is community owned paid for by tax dollars. Baierl is privately owned. 

I think that some of the "interpretation" might be a little loose. Also I can pretty much predict that if some rinks are going to have regular games and some won't, there will be some anonymous complaints to the Commonwealth, which will result in everyone getting screwed.

51 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

The pods idea would probably get approved for each sheet of ice per rink if there was a way to cut off the shared facilities in the lobby.

Or just time entry and exit so everyone is out before letting in people for the next game. Or use a different exit/entry. Most rinks have lots of ways to get in and out. That could work.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

I think that some of the "interpretation" might be a little loose. Also I can pretty much predict that if some rinks are going to have regular games and some won't, there will be some anonymous complaints to the Commonwealth, which will result in everyone getting screwed.

I agree. 

Just now, Saucey said:

Or just time entry and exit so everyone is out before letting in people for the next game. Or use a different exit/entry. Most rinks have lots of ways to get in and out. That could work.

But even with that, if its 25 per sheet that doesn't solve any problems with the game being played as normal.

28 minutes ago, BeaverFalls said:

Same here....I played/coached for over 40 years.  I love being at the rink and have been fortunate to have that time with my son and family.  He is now at the midget/HS level and I just want the teams to play hockey.  LiveBarn is good enough for now...

Some great suggestions in PAHL notes.   Fact is when (not if) the first potential mass exposure is traced back to a youth sporting event don’t think for a fast moment that The cast of characters in PA state government won’t hesitate to shut down all youth sports

3 minutes ago, Guru said:

Some great suggestions in PAHL notes.   Fact is when (not if) the first potential mass exposure is traced back to a youth sporting event don’t think for a fast moment that The cast of characters in PA state government won’t hesitate to shut down all youth sports

True but you can say this about any sport. You don’t think the wolf is just chomping at the bit for a HS football player to get covid ? I’d be willing to bet he masturbates over it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Danner27 said:

True but you can say this about any sport. You don’t think the wolf is just chomping at the bit for a HS football player to get covid ? I’d be willing to bet he masturbates over it. 

Absolutely 

Here is a thought - between the piaa & wpial what are their plans for basketball this season ? like hockey, the sport is played 5 on 5. Like hockey there is physical play, no hitting but lots of bodies rubbing off each other. the argument can be made covid exposure would be higher for basketball. Similar amount of players on the bench as hockey.  Score keeper, refs. It has to be very close to the same numbers as a hockey game. 

Edited by Danner27
  • Like 1