Midam/USA hockey decision on hockey

1 minute ago, Danner27 said:

Here is a thought - between the piaa & wpial what are their plans for basketball this season ? like hockey, the sport is played 5 on 5. Like hockey there is physical play, no hitting but lots of bodies rubbing off each other. the argument can probably be made covid exposure would be higher for basketball. Similar amount of players on the bench as hockey.  Score keeper, refs. It’s has to be very close to the same numbers as a hockey game. 

I would absolutely think the risk of exposure would be MUCH higher for basketball. Tons of skin to skin contact, all touching the same ball with their bare hands etc...

• Like 1

Speaking of PODS, Couldn't each team bench and then the ice be considered separate Pods the same as football?  I know they say 25 for a gathering but define gathering. Each team has a separate gathering on their bench and a separate gathering on the ice.  Each gathering is socially distanced from each other.  I'm not sure why we can't play hockey under this scenario.  Maybe this is the logic that Ice Castle, Alpha and others are using to play games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hockeyisgreat said:

It does absolutely nothing.   And when did NP decide to enforce this 25 rule?  I watched summer games for 12U with more than 25 kids and parents in the stands.  

Plus the logistics/planning and execution nightmare for families and organizations.  And add in 1/3 of the roster wants released for a variety of reasons. 

Not my idea but I know of people already working on heading elsewhere from PAHL. 

• Like 1

Just do line changes from the emergency exits.. honestly. Set up a little plastic tunnel leading to a tent on the outside , throw a warmer in there and get on with it. This would work at most rinks. 

10 on the ice, 2 goalies, 2 refs, 2 coaches and the next line up waits on bench or at the closest rink door. 

Edited by ctil20

Put plexiglass between the F and D on the bench. Like already stated basketball and football all touch the same ball. Hockey has no skin contact unless kids spit. All are to have their own water bottle. Everyone could wear fishbowls, although mine doesn’t like his much. 

32 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Here is a thought - between the piaa & wpial what are their plans for basketball this season ? like hockey, the sport is played 5 on 5. Like hockey there is physical play, no hitting but lots of bodies rubbing off each other. the argument can be made covid exposure would be higher for basketball. Similar amount of players on the bench as hockey.  Score keeper, refs. It has to be very close to the same numbers as a hockey game. 

Do we have any basketball families on this message board ? 

Another tip is that in addition to NP spearheading this movement, the Foxes/RMU are thought aligned with NP/Baierl and are driving this bus.

When are some of the larger orgs going to stand up to this proposed fiasco?

We have got to get our ORG Presidents to rebuke these idiotic proposals.

I agree with the above poster, if this silly "9 at a time" thing is enacted, you will lose players off rosters quickly and that will damage hockey badly...

9 at a time is merely an attempt to MAKE MONEY for the rinks and orgs instead of shutting things down.

It is NOT hockey.   I don't know what it is, but how are you going to count mite like games as regular games?? 

Edited by Scooby Doo
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Here is a thought - between the piaa & wpial what are their plans for basketball this season ? like hockey, the sport is played 5 on 5. Like hockey there is physical play, no hitting but lots of bodies rubbing off each other. the argument can be made covid exposure would be higher for basketball. Similar amount of players on the bench as hockey.  Score keeper, refs. It has to be very close to the same numbers as a hockey game. 

I would rate basketball higher risk than hockey. You get the ball and someone if breathing in your face, sometimes for several seconds. Besides that, everybody touches the ball. The most exposure for hockey would be on the bench. I would avoid having kids in locker rooms.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scooby Doo said:

Another tip is that in addition to NP spearheading this movement, the Foxes/RMU are thought aligned.

When are some of the larger orgs going to stand up to this proposed fiasco?

We have got to get our ORG Presidents to rebuke these idiotic proposals.

I agree with the above poster, if this silly "9 at a time" thing is enacted, you will lose players off rosters quickly and that will damage hockey badly...

9 at a time is merely an attempt to MAKE MONEY for the rinks and orgs instead of shutting things down.

It is NOT hockey.   I don't know what it is, but how are you going to count mite like games as regular games?? 

My advice. Try to stay positive and the kids will have more fun. The more that the adults complain, the harder it will be for the players.

I think the push should be pods as defined above. Football is okay with 22 players on the field. 

Pod 1 - Home team bench (<25)

Pod 2 - Visiting team bench (<25)

Pod 3 - Ice 12-13

i agree on people fleeing  because you won’t get any kind of a discount  

Assume 3 lines (3 D pairs) 6.5 minutes in a 20 minute half 

45 minute game 15 minutes or so a game 

That’s a significant reduction in ice time  

They did this in 3 on 3  9 skaters

Lots of kids just didn’t play

• Like 1

2 hours ago, forbin said:

But even with that, if its 25 per sheet that doesn't solve any problems with the game being played as normal.

Yes, I was responding to someone who mentioned using the pod concept adopted by football.

Edited by Saucey
Corrected typo
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, ctil20 said:

Just do line changes from the emergency exits.. honestly. Set up a little plastic tunnel leading to a tent on the outside , throw a warmer in there and get on with it. This would work at most rinks. 

10 on the ice, 2 goalies, 2 refs, 2 coaches and the next line up waits on bench or at the closest rink door. 

You know, as silly as this restriction is... If we could have 27 people per sheet of ice, we'd have enough space for ten skaters and a goalie, or two full lines of offence and two full lines of defense.

Or we could just do what literally everyone wants to do and play hockey normally.

As for letting parents into the rink - I hate to tell some of you this, but many, or even most, players are much better when you aren't there yelling at them and the refs all the time. It's better for most players NOT to have the parents in there. That's to the extent that they players are even aware that people are in the arena. For the most part they aren't paying any mind to the stands.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Scooby Doo said:

Any NP / Foxes families on here?  Anyone happy about what their own orgs are proposing???

Not a parent of either org but I would think that RMU has to toe the line put in place by the governor because they could stand to lose a lot more than other rinks simply because they are tied to the college. Therefore because the Foxes don’t want to lose their home rink, they too will fall in line. 

1 hour ago, Lifelongbender said:

You know, as silly as this restriction is... If we could have 27 people per sheet of ice, we'd have enough space for ten skaters and a goalie, or two full lines of offence and two full lines of defense.

Or we could just do what literally everyone wants to do and play hockey normally.

As for letting parents into the rink - I hate to tell some of you this, but many, or even most, players are much better when you aren't there yelling at them and the refs all the time. It's better for most players NOT to have the parents in there. That's to the extent that they players are even aware that people are in the arena. For the most part they aren't paying any mind to the stands.

In case of many psycho parents living vicariously through their kids, yes. 

2 hours ago, Scooby Doo said:

Any NP / Foxes families on here?  Anyone happy about what their own orgs are proposing???

We are an Arctic Foxes family and what you are saying about aligning with more restrictive plans of some the rinks/ PAHL teams does not align with what I have heard from leadership in the org.  Additionally someone suggest that Foxes would toe the line. Let me tell you, there is no line to toe. Just like every other rink owned by a large organization, RMU and Dave Hanson make the decisions based on risk and their risk mitigation strategy. As such every other org at the at rink must abide by them. That goes for Foxes, PIHL, In house adult leagues, inline everyone.  Don't believe me look at what has been happening up at Penn State and Pegula very similar if not even more restrictive. Rinks that belong to a larger entity must protect the larger entity. Unlike smaller private rinks they can withstand the financial losses.

2 hours ago, 4thlinerefugee said:

We are an Arctic Foxes family and what you are saying about aligning with more restrictive plans of some the rinks/ PAHL teams does not align with what I have heard from leadership in the org.  Additionally someone suggest that Foxes would toe the line. Let me tell you, there is no line to toe. Just like every other rink owned by a large organization, RMU and Dave Hanson make the decisions based on risk and their risk mitigation strategy. As such every other org at the at rink must abide by them. That goes for Foxes, PIHL, In house adult leagues, inline everyone.  Don't believe me look at what has been happening up at Penn State and Pegula very similar if not even more restrictive. Rinks that belong to a larger entity must protect the larger entity. Unlike smaller private rinks they can withstand the financial losses.

Pegula is as aggressively restrictive as I’ve seen in all of the local landscape. 

In Quest summer league hockey for 10u at Ice Castle, we dealt with 10 skaters, 1 goalie for each game.   As a spectator, it was one parent per child.   We got LiveBarn as a result which has been fine for us.    Our team ended up picking our 10 skaters for each game trying to rotate the players so everyone had an equal chance of playing.   I heard stories of other teams rotating the players between periods.    I'm hoping to be able to play with similar restrictions if that means playing or not playing.    Any idea when the PAHL is going to finalize a decision?    Also for those suggesting that some might leave the PAHL - what other options are there?   Especially at 10u other than moving?    Got no idea.