Midam/USA hockey decision on hockey

PIHL - varsity postponed, there may be clarity tomorrow. I suspect they will wait to see what PIAA does about basketball. (  I am taking a guess with this, will they ride on the back of PIAA) When does varsity basketball start ?  They could be postponing hoping the 25 limit gets lifted soon. Regardless current word is postponed. 

33 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

PIHL - varsity postponed, there may be clarity tomorrow. I suspect they will wait to see what PIAA does about basketball. (  I am taking a guess with this, will they ride on the back of PIAA) When does varsity basketball start ?  They could be postponing hoping the 25 limit gets lifted soon. Regardless current word is postponed. 

I think they were shaken by the pahl talk of limited rosters for games. They’ll wait it out but unless something changes in the next two months I’m betting they will fold tents on this season. 

1 hour ago, PeterThePuck said:

I heard PIHL is done until the 25 goes up

No Hockey until 1-1-21.

Middle School 4 on 4

I got an email from a parent with Peter's Township's plan in it yesterday which indicates that they're doing 4v4 for JV too. I believe that only Varsity is called off until January.

I was hoping for more clarity this morning. I wonder if any actual decisions have been made or it's another case of kick the can down the road. I would suspect that hockey & basketball will be in sync or people involved in one of those sports will go nuts. I think basketball appears to be higher risk, but others may say the bench areas are more adaptable to social distancing and mask wearing is more convenient since there are no shift changes & helmets to deal with. 

36 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

I was hoping for more clarity this morning. I wonder if any actual decisions have been made or it's another case of kick the can down the road. I would suspect that hockey & basketball will be in sync or people involved in one of those sports will go nuts. I think basketball appears to be higher risk, but others may say the bench areas are more adaptable to social distancing and mask wearing is more convenient since there are no shift changes & helmets to deal with. 

It’s my understanding pihl is just watching the landscape right now when it comes to varsity hockey.  MS & JV will play similar to the Pahl plan. For you varsity folks, I don’t see this as a bad thing, unless they are just kicking the can down the road waiting to cancel it all.

22 hours ago, forbin said:

This season of 4 on 4 non contact will separate the good skaters and good hockey IQ kids from the rest of the pack. Should be really interesting to see how it all unfolds. Can't wait to see the sh*t storm of parents b*tching and moaning about their kids ice time!

4 on 4 no contact hockey is fun for Quest, but not a solution for regular season, may work for 14u and under, but any level higher than that, especially Tier 1, would be counter productive to player development, and organizations will have to figure out new player fees, very likely a total mess, PA teams already scheduling games in Ohio & WV

Trying to be as unbiased as possible. 

A basketball court is significantly smaller than an ice rink, the “zones” are significantly smaller than that of hockey. There fore you have significantly less space available, and more players crammed in to one area. 

Basketball is also a stop and go game. A player will stop with the ball for 10 seconds if he wants, while a defender gets in close trying to disrupt the play... all the while, everyone else on the court is following everyone else around as closely as possible. 

Hockey has its moments of close contact, but they’re are largely brief. It’s mostly quick movement in and out of another players atmosphere, save for net front battles and tying up along the boards. 

These two games are not comparable in risk, if we are talking about contact and exposure to another person. Basketball parents becoming upset under a scenario where hockey can be played, and basketball cannot isn’t worth their time. 

Actually, in terms of “Limited exposure time”... hockey may rank a head of every team sport. Football, baseball, basketball are all close contact for significant amounts of time. 

Edited by ctil20
  • Like 1

The O line a D grappling in football, receivers and D. 

A batter being at the plate for 2-3 minutes at times. Or a runner on 1st for 4-5 minutes. 

Hockey, especially now days is usually 1-3 seconds of random contact with another player. The game is just too fast. 

26 minutes ago, ctil20 said:

Trying to be as unbiased as possible. 

A basketball court is significantly smaller than an ice rink, the “zones” are significantly smaller than that of hockey. There fore you have significantly less space available, and more players crammed in to one area. 

Basketball is also a stop and go game. A player will stop with the ball for 10 seconds if he wants, while a defender gets in close trying to disrupt the play... all the while, everyone else on the court is following everyone else around as closely as possible. 

Hockey has its moments of close contact, but they’re are largely brief. It’s mostly quick movement in and out of another players atmosphere, save for net front battles and tying up along the boards. 

These two games are not comparable in risk, if we are talking about contact and exposure to another person. Basketball parents becoming upset under a scenario where hockey can be played, and basketball cannot isn’t worth their time. 

Actually, in terms of “Limited exposure time”... hockey may rank a head of every team sport. Football, baseball, basketball are all close contact for significant amounts of time. 

Fully agreed, did piaa address basketball ? 

25 minutes ago, ctil20 said:

The O line a D grappling in football, receivers and D. 

A batter being at the plate for 2-3 minutes at times. Or a runner on 1st for 4-5 minutes. 

Hockey, especially now days is usually 1-3 seconds of random contact with another player. The game is just too fast. 

I agree. My only problem with hockey is with the trust that the people running things will adhere to safety protocols. If the off-ice precautions are enforced within each rink, it is way safer than basketball.

2 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

Your only problem? Really, you're only problem? You have a problem with everything that isn't what YOU want it to be. I have a suggestion for you, stay home forever if you so desire, but that's not what 95% of us want to do.

Agree!  My Boys WANT to play.  Let parents be responsible for their kids. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hockeyisgreat said:

You are 100% right. Let Parents be responsible for their kids.  Not politicians with an agenda!  Wait till January. I still want to know what will be different then?

Maybe nothing, in which case the restrictions may continue.  He didn't say we can play with no restrictions on January 1st, he said the current restrictions should stay in place until January 1st.

ALL, here is the best thing you can do if you want to see your kids play hockey this year. This is coming straight from a USA Hockey friend - 

tell folks in PA to contact their local officials, State Representatives, and / or Senators to help raise the gathering limit for indoor sports to 50. There is nothing magical about 1/1/21, that date is nothing more than a place holder by the PA Governor following political party lines. PIAA did get some help from PA state politicians to get football going. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

ALL, here is the best thing you can do if you want to see your kids play hockey this year. This is coming straight from a USA Hockey friend - 

tell folks in PA to contact their local officials, State Representatives, and / or Senators to help raise the gathering limit for indoor sports to 50. There is nothing magical about 1/1/21, that date is nothing more than a place holder by the PA Governor following political party lines. PIAA did get some help from PA state politicians to get football going. 

Agreed

What are teams outside of PGH in PA doing?  What's going on in the Philly area?  Has anyone from the PAHL even reached out to see what they're doing in different areas or is the PAHL going at this on it's own?

Seems like the first course of action BEFORE changing to 1/1/21 or going to the silly 9 on 9 is trying to get all the hockey orgs onboard to request a change/exemption to 50-60 people inside a 17,000-20,000 square foot building just like the PIAA worked on.  I'd rather delay a month and get this worked out than either Plan A or B.

How do viruses spread at 40 degrees temperature anyways???

Edited by Scooby Doo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

It's not unreasonable to ask for that considering the summer surge in cases seems to have peaked and now on a downward trend. I bet the health department holds off on that until October, so they can see the effect of school openings. 

Let's hear your predictions on what will happen to Western PA hockey if the PAHL does either if it's dumb proposed moves.

1) teams will play outside the PAHL, either locally or in WV or OH.  I am highly interested in going this route.  More on this later after the PAHL decision.

2) if cancelling till 1/1/21, kids will quit because they don't want to wait.  Some kids will go to teams that opt to play outside the PAHL and do an independent schedule.  Some will quit and play video games, work or play another sport.  Some will quit entirely.  My prediction is a significant #of players won't wait around till 1/1/21.

3) if going to 9 at a time on each side.  Player losses as well here, not sure to the extend but I can see players leaving PAHL teams for other local teams who opt to play outside the PAHL.

My guess is that Darcee and the rest of the PAHL board are way underestimating the effect that changing off of regular hockey will have on rosters across the PAHL.

Edited by Scooby Doo

26 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Here is the link to find your reps and Senator--->  https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/findyourlegislator/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scooby Doo said:

Let's hear your predictions on what will happen to Western PA hockey if the PAHL does either if it's dumb proposed moves.

1) teams will play outside the PAHL, either locally or in WV or OH.  I am highly interested in going this route.  More on this later after the PAHL decision.

2) if cancelling till 1/1/21, kids will quit because they don't want to wait.  Some kids will go to teams that opt to play outside the PAHL and do an independent schedule.  Some will quit and play video games, work or play another sport.  Some will quit entirely.  My prediction is a significant #of players won't wait around till 1/1/21.

3) if going to 9 at a time on each side.  Player losses as well here, not sure to the extend but I can see players leaving PAHL teams for other local teams who opt to play outside the PAHL.

My guess is that Darcee and the rest of the PAHL board are way underestimating the effect that changing off of regular hockey will have on rosters across the PAHL.

I hear a lot of "kids will go" & "players leaving" talk. You should swap the words "kids" & "players" with "parents". Kids will be fine with any option unless the parents tell them that they shouldn't be. When push comes to shove, most of the parents won't go anywhere anyway. How many people do you think will actually opt to drive an hour or more 3 - 4 times a week over "suffering" through this for what might only be a few weeks or months? It could go on longer and then we can talk about those out-of-area options that may or not have spots/ice time available anyway.

4 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

I hear a lot of "kids will go" & "players leaving" talk. You should swap the words "kids" & "players" with "parents". Kids will be fine with any option unless the parents tell them that they shouldn't be. When push comes to shove, most of the parents won't go anywhere anyway. How many people do you think will actually opt to drive an hour or more 3 - 4 times a week over "suffering" through this for what might only be a few weeks or months? It could go on longer and then we can talk about those out-of-area options that may or not have spots/ice time available anyway.

Depends where they live. Cranberry to Youngtown isn't that far, and I bet that rink in Youngstown would love to sell a lot more ice. Wheeling/Morgantown are not that far from Washington County.

But you are right, I think kids will surprise some of the parents and make do with 4 on 4 or whatever they're offered, if it's that or no hockey at all.