Midam/USA hockey decision on hockey

36 minutes ago, Hky05 said:

Senator Kim Ward and Representative Eric Nelson will be at Center Ice in Delmont Wednesday evening to answer any questions 

I suspect that they will tell you what you want to hear but do state reps/senators actually do anything except try to become US reps/senators?

Although I think changing/shutting down hockey's effect on the kids will not have long-term effects. Having the rinks go bankrupt will. We need every sheet of ice in the area to stay viable or we'll be practicing at Midnight an hour away like when I was a kid. Hopefully someone can be loud enough to get some grants sent to these private rinks that have small margins as it is.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

I suspect that they will tell you what you want to hear but do state reps/senators actually do anything except try to become US reps/senators?

Although I think changing/shutting down hockey's effect on the kids will not have long-term effects. Having the rinks go bankrupt will. We need every sheet of ice in the area to stay viable or we'll be practicing at Midnight an hour away like when I was a kid. Hopefully someone can be loud enough to get some grants sent to these private rinks that have small margins as it is.

You are so damn delusional, you coach 10 year olds. Coach 15-19 year olds that take the game serious, may have some dreams, Working hard for any form of college hockey or just simply love the game. Go talk to those kids and see how they feel mentally. 

• Like 3
  • Fist Bump 1

27 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

You are so damn delusional, you coach 10 year olds. Coach 15-19 year olds that take the game serious, may have some dreams, Working hard for any form of college hockey or just simply love the game. Go talk to those kids and see how they feel mentally. 

Dreams? OK. What percent are going to realize those dreams that their parents put in their head? They will have fun if we let them. Or you can keep telling them that the government is out to spoil their life. Take them down to an empty parking lot and play roller hockey for a couple months if you have to. I have coached all ages and notice that the ones having the most fun are the ones that have their parents there supporting them but not pushing them toward any dreams. The kids that are good enough won't let this beat them down. They will overcome this perceived incredible hardship. I hope we get to play. We'll be better off if the complainer parents decide to quit. I just feel bad for the kids that will get brainwashed into thinking that they are too good to have fun with the others.

15 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

Dreams? OK. What percent are going to realize those dreams that their parents put in their head? They will have fun if we let them. Or you can keep telling them that the government is out to spoil their life. Take them down to an empty parking lot and play roller hockey for a couple months if you have to. I have coached all ages and notice that the ones having the most fun are the ones that have their parents there supporting them but not pushing them toward any dreams. The kids that are good enough won't let this beat them down. They will overcome this perceived incredible hardship. I hope we get to play. We'll be better off if the complainer parents decide to quit. I just feel bad for the kids that will get brainwashed into thinking that they are too good to have fun with the others.

You have never coached at the AA level let alone tier 1 or junior hockey. You don’t understand what it like being around kids that start to take the game serious. Stick to mites that are having fun. 

• Like 5
  • ROTF 1

Pennsylvania House Bill 2787 is scheduled to be voted on September 1, 2020.  This Bill has the potential to alleviate the 25 person restriction for indoor sports by putting the power of determination within the school districts (“School Entity”).  In addition – with the current bipartisan support – it has the potential to pass with a 2/3rds vote that would invalidate a Veto by the Governor.  As it stands right now with current sponsors of the Bill, there would only need to be another eighteen (18) members of the House needed to reach the 2/3rds majority needed (136 out of 203).  The PA Senate will need 34 out of 50 to vote for it to be VETO PROOF.

Please spread the word and have everyone and anyone reach out to your representatives for your district and ask them to support this legislation.

• Like 3

@Quinlan2020 my son who’s in his last year of eligibility wants to play very badly, as he wants to build his resume to get on a good acha team next fall.  So it is very important to him.

He’s also practical in that if hockey is cancelled  till 1/1, he’s going to work, play roller and dek hockey and do college courses. He will find other things to occupy his time.

However he’d much rather be playing with his hockey buddies that he’s known for years.

Cancelling hockey will hurt these aspiring college players, everyday kids who just enjoy the sport, Coaches and volunteers like me who enjoy getting out of the house and helping, and really hurt the rink owners.

• Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, 4thlinerefugee said:

Pennsylvania House Bill 2787 is scheduled to be voted on September 1, 2020.  This Bill has the potential to alleviate the 25 person restriction for indoor sports by putting the power of determination within the school districts (“School Entity”).  In addition – with the current bipartisan support – it has the potential to pass with a 2/3rds vote that would invalidate a Veto by the Governor.  As it stands right now with current sponsors of the Bill, there would only need to be another eighteen (18) members of the House needed to reach the 2/3rds majority needed (136 out of 203).  The PA Senate will need 34 out of 50 to vote for it to be VETO PROOF.

Please spread the word and have everyone and anyone reach out to your representatives for your district and ask them to support this legislation.

I hope the Pahl just holds status quo and waits to see what happens between now and Oct. 1, but knowing some of the leadership there doesn’t make me have much faith in that.

11 minutes ago, 4thlinerefugee said:

Fantastic news! Keep writing, calling and emailing your local state reps! Great job to everyone pushing! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scooby Doo said:

@Quinlan2020 my son who’s in his last year of eligibility wants to play very badly, as he wants to build his resume to get on a good acha team next fall.  So it is very important to him.

He’s also practical in that if hockey is cancelled  till 1/1, he’s going to work, play roller and dek hockey and do college courses. He will find other things to occupy his time.

However he’d much rather be playing with his hockey buddies that he’s known for years.

Cancelling hockey will hurt these aspiring college players, everyday kids who just enjoy the sport, Coaches and volunteers like me who enjoy getting out of the house and helping, and really hurt the rink owners.

I understand. I'm really torn about it all, but sometimes I get the impression that everyone expects everyone else to make the sacrifices. It's just a big complicated mess and a lot of people want someone else to clean it up while they continue to party. I hope your son gets to play a full season this year. My opinions are different than yours, but ultimately, I want the kids to play just like you. I'm just not as sure the restrictions in place are a bad idea. They might be overkill. I always error on the side lower risk when it's something I really don't know much about.

44 minutes ago, 4thlinerefugee said:

When contacting your local state reps please reference house bill 2787. 

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/Legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&sessYr=2019&sessInd=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=2787&pn=4258

Message posted by Center Ice 

Hockey parents, please stop by Wednesday night 8/26 at 6:30 PM to meet our local State Rep Nelson and Senator Ward to help us voice our case to get the 25 participant rule lifted so we can play hockey. As we are still limited to State Guidelines, please 1 parent per skater, wear your hockey jersey, wear your mask, and social distance!

CENTER ICE ARENA, DELMONT, PA  6:30pm

Edited by Paul Baxter
EXPANDED LOCATION

If the bill were to pass then schools could make these decisions- but i wish it were worded more broadly so that independent organizations could make decisions on indoor gathering limits etc. As written this does not generally increase the indoor limit for non-school hockey orgs to sanction games does it?

59 minutes ago, hockey2020 said:

If the bill were to pass then schools could make these decisions- but i wish it were worded more broadly so that independent organizations could make decisions on indoor gathering limits etc. As written this does not generally increase the indoor limit for non-school hockey orgs to sanction games does it?

Plus schools don't own rinks so hopefully there is some language in there that addresses this.  If the school says yes but the rink doesn't have any authority they are still capped at 25 per state law.  

• Like 1

It’s great that there is a legislative push for changes. However, I’d like to see school gyms, fields, and of course rinks be put in the same category as “indoor recreation and health wellness facilities”, instead of “indoor gatherings”. If this happens, nearly all of the issues go away.

• Indoor Recreation and Health and Wellness Facilities (such as gyms and spas) Open at 50% Occupancy with Appointments Strongly Encouraged; Fitness Facilities Are Directed to Prioritize Outdoor Fitness Activities
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

Plus schools don't own rinks so hopefully there is some language in there that addresses this.  If the school says yes but the rink doesn't have any authority they are still capped at 25 per state law.  

Me Reese (R) from Westmoreland county should be notified of this. He’s the rep that got this off the ground

A WORD TO THE WISE - DO NOT SPEED DOWN Route 22 FROM MURRYSVILLE.  IT IS A SPEED TRAP!!

Police routinely do speed monitoring on 22 all the way from Murrysville to Delmont.  Many people have got tickets in that stretch.

Edited by Scooby Doo
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Scooby Doo said:

A WORD TO THE WISE - DO NOT SPEED DOWN Route 22 FROM MURRYSVILLE.  IT IS A SPEED TRAP!!

Police routinely do speed monitoring on 22 all the way from Murrysville to Delmont.  Many people have got tickets in that stretch.

We should be allowed to speed if we choose. It's a choice that me and my family should be able to make. If you're afraid of speeders, then stay home.

Edited by Quinlan2020
  • Haha 2
  • Wink 1
  • Poop 2

1 minute ago, Quinlan2020 said:

We should be allowed to speed if we choose. It's a choice that me and my family should be able to make. If you're afraid of speeders, then stay home.

Speed limits are federal and state laws, they are not suggested guidelines from a local governor. Freedom of choice does not give you the right to break laws because you feel like it. Nice try with that ridiculous point though.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Ynot02 said:

It’s great that there is a legislative push for changes. However, I’d like to see school gyms, fields, and of course rinks be put in the same category as “indoor recreation and health wellness facilities”, instead of “indoor gatherings”. If this happens, nearly all of the issues go away.

• Indoor Recreation and Health and Wellness Facilities (such as gyms and spas) Open at 50% Occupancy with Appointments Strongly Encouraged; Fitness Facilities Are Directed to Prioritize Outdoor Fitness Activities

OK so I am confused aren't rinks considered Indoor Recreation Facilities?  How did rinks get put in a different category?

• Confused 1

People at this meeting at Center Ice Arena, will be basically asking for the speed limit (max indoor gathering capacity) to be raised. I personally think that is a reasonable request considering the square footage of an ice arena. I do not think a hockey game in a big building is in the same category as an indoor social gathering. 

Edited by Quinlan2020
  • Like 1