Midam/USA hockey decision on hockey

7 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Wow, you nailed it! I hope you are right about the lawyers researching it. Seems pretty clear to me! If the 25 limit is unconstitutional were is the problem with playing regular Hockey. I would be asking for my money back if my kid played on a PAHL team that is going to follow the 25 limit.

The 25 limit is also what the PIHL is following for JV and MS hockey at this point. If PAHL does the same, it would likely be a league decision that all teams have to follow, rather than each team or org deciding how they want to play. 

5 minutes ago, Ynot02 said:

The 25 limit is also what the PIHL is following for JV and MS hockey at this point. If PAHL does the same, it would likely be a league decision that all teams have to follow, rather than each team or org deciding how they want to play. 

Yes the PIHL proposal is pretty silly as well.  So is the only way we are going to play real Hockey is if the Governor says we can? I really find it hard to believe that the split ice thing came from the Governors office. But Miked said it did so I will believe him.

5 minutes ago, carroll81 said:

It says in their documents that nothing they are doing now precludes going back to "regular" format if allowed.

Didn't the Federal Judges ruling allow them to go back to regular hockey?  Don't they (USA Hockey, MidAM & Atlantic) have lawyers that can interpret the ruling as it pertains to youth Hockey?  Why aren't they coming out with some kind of statement?

I guess they don't want to make the lame duck governor mad!!!!

1 hour ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Didn't the Federal Judges ruling allow them to go back to regular hockey?  Don't they (USA Hockey, MidAM & Atlantic) have lawyers that can interpret the ruling as it pertains to youth Hockey?  Why aren't they coming out with some kind of statement?

I guess they don't want to make the lame duck governor mad!!!!

Because like all federal rulings it will be appealed and a stay will be issued. Current rules stay in effect until the Governor gives up or it gets to the Supreme Court. Neither of which will happen any time soon. 

Those who filed this had no expectation of a quick answer but are trying to set a constitutional precedent as to government powers. 

24 minutes ago, Novos51 said:

Wow

Exactly, makes a whole lot of sense to me.  Now we have to be able to play without having any major outbreaks. We have been doing it since June so I don't see why not.  Just have to be smart about it. Sure glad MidAm did something. Makes me have a little more faith in them.  Now PIHL and PAHL need to follow through.

7 hours ago, Danner27 said:

Call me negative nancy, I was reading an article out of Philly, wolf is going to appeal this to every level and never give it up. 

There is a big cross country meet on Saturday in Allegheny county and the schools were informed that if any parent shows up then the Allegheny Police  shuts down the entire meet. It is in a Public park. 

7 hours ago, Danner27 said:

Call me negative nancy, I was reading an article out of Philly, wolf is going to appeal this to every level and never give it up. 

Of course he will appeal at every chance possible.  The key is if there is a stay put in place until that appeal is heard.  That is the only potential obstacle with the latest announcement.

24 minutes ago, hockey55 said:

There is a big cross country meet on Saturday in Allegheny county and the schools were informed that if any parent shows up then the Allegheny Police  shuts down the entire meet. It is in a Public park. 

Yes, I wonder if schools will still enforce restrictions. Nothing has changed with the virus. So long as the kids can play normally, I can deal. But you can't really see much at a cross country meet, and social distancing around a finish line might be hard.

19 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

The "no spectators" thing is bullshit. Most of these rinks could have 100 people in them and still be 12 foot apart. 

Totally agree. I don’t think most rinks are going to enforce it and we all know some haven’t but the one I can see having trouble with distances is Hess given its confines. So just spread people out IMO 

23 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

The "no spectators" thing is bullshit. Most of these rinks could have 100 people in them and still be 12 foot apart. 

It is bullshit for most of us. There would be those that can't help themselves and violate ant social distancing measures. They would be the ones to ruin it for everyone else. Those people are the ones that the restrictions are in place for.

24 minutes ago, PeterThePuck said:

Wolf will get shut down can appeal all he wants.

Trump put in all these Federal Judges in over 300 conservatives.

Its over for these Democratic Governors they all will be played.

Open the economy!

The closures in the Spring were justified. It saved us from having more catastrophic results. We all saw what happened in Bergamo, Italy & Madrid, Spain. The fools that deem them unconstitutional do not acknowledge that. That being said, It is not practical to go back to such measures. It's obvious that the medical advances have made Covid-19 more tolerable and more people are masking now. The economy is already open despite what some say. Yes, there still restrictions, but they are much more relaxed now and enforcement hasn't been very aggressive. A lot of people want them all to go away like someone turning a switch. The phased approach is much more practical, so that the effects can be seen before progressing to the next step. We just started opening schools/colleges, indoor dining and high school sports are kicking into full swing. There are even some fans allowed at events now. I anticipate more restrictions being lifted if things don't go sour. Have a little patience. I think will get to the place we all want to be a lot quicker if we just do things methodically.

3 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

The closures in the Spring were justified. It saved us from having more catastrophic results. We all saw what happened in Bergamo, Italy & Madrid, Spain. The fools that deem them unconstitutional do not acknowledge that. That being said, It is not practical to go back to such measures. It's obvious that the medical advances have made Covid-19 more tolerable and more people are masking now. The economy is already open despite what some say. Yes, there still restrictions, but they are much more relaxed now and enforcement hasn't been very aggressive. A lot of people want them all to go away like someone turning a switch. The phased approach is much more practical, so that the effects can be seen before progressing to the next step. We just started opening schools/colleges, indoor dining and high school sports are kicking into full swing. There are even some fans allowed at events now. I anticipate more restrictions being lifted if things don't go sour. Have a little patience. I think will get to the place we all want to be a lot quicker if we just do things methodically.

So what is the next phase after green? oh, there is not one.  So we just sit and wait until wolfey dictates (I'm sorry, his unexperienced staff decides) that we can have more than 25 people in an ice hockey rink which is 200- by 85-feet: that's 17,000 square feet of space just in the playing surface, with the overall averaging 25,000 Square feet.....But no, he has no plans, he has no road map, he has nothing..... 

• Like 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I'm going to enjoy the full scale hockey and take what I can get at the moment. An appeal will be an appeal or whatever. But for now I'm happy that our kids will be happy.

And with regards to the appeal. I do agree Wolf will do anything he can to change it back to what he sees fit. I think he is a proud fella and took this as a major slap in the face. Probably is also embarrassing and he hates that someone challenged his authority. So he will fight tooth and nail despite what some of the constituents (ie sport parents) think. In reality he probably wouldn't have care anyways. But the fact that he will never be up for re-election makes it even more likely he will try to get the ruling reversed.  I saw that his reasoning for the appeal will be "the science."  I still am unsure what science and statistics they are going by to govern red, yellow, green.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hockey22 said:

So what is the next phase after green? oh, there is not one.  So we just sit and wait until wolfey dictates (I'm sorry, his unexperienced staff decides) that we can have more than 25 people in an ice hockey rink which is 200- by 85-feet: that's 17,000 square feet of space just in the playing surface, with the overall averaging 25,000 Square feet.....But no, he has no plans, he has no road map, he has nothing..... 

Wow. You must have been reading my mind while I was typing. Thinking the same thing. I don't know in general if there is a plan. Day in and day out the news talks about cases, cases, cases.  And the contact tracing they were talking about seems like has disappeared. Except for when all bars were shutdown is the only time I can remember a story that contact tracers traced all these case outbreaks at bars. Since then where are they coming from? Public transit? Schools? Work? Restaurants?  How is this thing still spreading?

Just say we need to get our case rate below 5% in order to fully resume life or something.  There is no metric and no end.  Just keep spitting out cases are on the rise.

• Like 2

Wolf “appealing” this right now screams hurt ego. The numbers don’t warrant the restrictions anymore. 

If there are no significant issues that arise from a more relaxed approach (via federal judge).. and Wolf continues to try to appeal - not only will Pennsylvania be a landslide towards Trump but it will remain red until the generations who dealt with this fiasco are not voting anymore. 

The issues that separated democrat and republican are minute now. There are larger fish to fry, and one party is handling those fish a lot better than the other. One party is gaining new customers, while the other is toiling away in crazy town - and lacking the self awareness to stop the spiral. 

Tom Wolf is a major asset for Trump. He is converting Democrats to Republicans by the hoards.  He is not alone, this is happening everywhere. From letting cities burn, to telling everyone to stay in their house. 

It’s not even Democrat and republican anymore. It’s the circus versus’s somewhat normal, but better than the clown car. 

Edited by ctil20
  • Like 2