Midam/USA hockey decision on hockey

1 minute ago, Danner27 said:

It’s going back to alpha & ice castle as the only places to play regular games.  I just heard PIHL (before this announcement) wants kids to wear masks while they play now. Dumpster fire! 

Maybe our government should target the hundreds of thousands of deaths at the shitty and run down nursing homes and leave restaurant owners and kids hockey alone.  70% of the deaths in PA are at long term care facilities. Sometimes it seems a dumb guy spouts off "masks during hockey" and everyone is like yeah great idea. Let's do it. That will slow the spread even more. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sarampage said:

Baierl has been allowing full rosters with 5v5 and two spectators per player for games.  I was at two games this past weekend and with those numbers, the arena was empty...plenty of room to spread out.

I was at RMU recently and it was kinda the same except only one parent was allowed. There were a couple exceptions of poor behavior. Two dads were standing by the glass talking in close proximity and violating the social distancing signs. I also saw a couple mask violations by adults in the lobby. Most of the people were doing great and sticking to the rules, but I fear that these few outliers will give pause to rink officials when considering how many people to allow inside.

4 minutes ago, HockeyDad23 said:

Maybe our government should target the hundreds of thousands of deaths at the shitty and run down nursing homes and leave restaurant owners and kids hockey alone.  70% of the deaths in PA are at long term care facilities. Sometimes it seems a dumb guy spouts off "masks during hockey" and everyone is like yeah great idea. Let's do it. That will slow the spread even more. 

I hear what you are saying, but those infections didn't originate in those nursing homes. The more community spread that we have, the more it will get into those places unless we can have everyone that goes in there tested every day. So far we don't have that kind of testing in place unless you are a pro athlete or work at the White House.

Just now, Quinlan2020 said:

I hear what you are saying, but those infections didn't originate in those nursing homes. The more community spread that we have, the more it will get into those places unless we can have everyone that goes in there tested every day. So far we don't have that kind of testing in place unless you are a pro athlete or work at the White House.

It has to be the staff bringing it in. I have heard stories that families can still not enter to visit. Sad situation. 

PAHL is back to 4 V 4 9 Skaters. PIHL Varsity hockey is on hold again, schedules were about to be released. There is some rumbling the governor may be re-visiting the capacities tonight, things could change tomorrow or they could stay at 250/25. 

I'm having a little faith that the governor realizes all the extra efforts that some officials and parents have to through for the kids and will realize it is important to us. Hopefully leaning to increase the limits ever so slightly. Anything is better than 25 for hockey. Not ideal but I'll sacrifice watching live so they can play with coaches, refs, and full rosters. 

45 minutes ago, HockeyDad23 said:

I'm having a little faith that the governor realizes all the extra efforts that some officials and parents have to through for the kids and will realize it is important to us. Hopefully leaning to increase the limits ever so slightly. Anything is better than 25 for hockey. Not ideal but I'll sacrifice watching live so they can play with coaches, refs, and full rosters. 

I hope he realizes that if he makes it 50 or 75 for indoor, then all of us go away and its one less thing he has to worry about. I am sure he and his staff are getting sick of the calls from crazy hockey parents.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1

1 minute ago, Danner27 said:

The governor had a presser this morning - no changes. 25 indoor limit is back! 

PAHL & PIHL - welcome back to 4 V 4, no contact, 9 skaters. Don’t forget your mask while you sit on the bench! No parents allowed! 

Do you have specific information that PAHL will be playing 4v4 with 9 skaters? Because unless I am crazy I am pretty sure they were planning on playing 5v5 with 9 skaters. That wouldn't be back to 4v4, it would be further restricted to 4v4.

10 minutes ago, Lifelongbender said:

Do you have specific information that PAHL will be playing 4v4 with 9 skaters? Because unless I am crazy I am pretty sure they were planning on playing 5v5 with 9 skaters. That wouldn't be back to 4v4, it would be further restricted to 4v4.

My nieces team was told the rules will be similar to PIHL middle school hockey. Pahl is suppose to release the information later today. 

Mid Am also sent out emails today, back to non sanctioned games if they have over 25. 

Someone needs to fire the entire PIHL board, making middle school kids wear a cloth wet mask while they gasp for air on a bench that only has 5 kids sitting on it. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lifelongbender said:

Ok, thank you. I have not heard that from any official source yet. My kids both have scrimmages scheduled all weekend that will likely be affected.

Games will be played 5 on 5 for PAHL based on the vote Sept 21st.  Two 18 minute halfs. 9 skaters, 1 goalie, 1 coach, 2 refs, 1 emt. There is no 4 on 4.

On 10/1/2020 at 1:37 PM, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

I didn't see anything about restricting hockey in this article - are they taking any steps like we are with the 25 people limits? It's probably too early to have outdoor hockey up there.

No youth hockey games are being played in Ontario or Quebec right now. Don’t know about the other provinces or Maritimes. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While sports was specifically mentioned in the briefing yesterday the health department is starting to say what I have been telling yinz for a long time - the spread isn't from practice or games but from things like carpooling and sleepovers: https://triblive.com/local/allegheny-county-officials-attribute-slowed-covid-rise-to-mask-cooperation/

This is probably good news for sports.  Quote: 

Bogen said the cases in schools are often spread through sports teams or other extracurricular activities, and often when the students interact outside of their practice or activity.

“It appears more likely that the virus is spreading more at team dinners, at sleepovers, at playdates and at parties,” she said.

2 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

While sports was specifically mentioned in the briefing yesterday the health department is starting to say what I have been telling yinz for a long time - the spread isn't from practice or games but from things like carpooling and sleepovers: https://triblive.com/local/allegheny-county-officials-attribute-slowed-covid-rise-to-mask-cooperation/

This is probably good news for sports.  Quote: 

Bogen said the cases in schools are often spread through sports teams or other extracurricular activities, and often when the students interact outside of their practice or activity.

“It appears more likely that the virus is spreading more at team dinners, at sleepovers, at playdates and at parties,” she said.

I'm not exactly sure it's good news. I have witnessed the bad behavior that is being referred to and don't expect it to stop. People aren't satisfied with just playing. They must socialize around the activity. Those same people will be the biggest complainers when it comes to restrictions.

On 10/2/2020 at 2:26 PM, HockeyDad23 said:

Games will be played 5 on 5 for PAHL based on the vote Sept 21st.  Two 18 minute halfs. 9 skaters, 1 goalie, 1 coach, 2 refs, 1 emt. There is no 4 on 4.

What is the latest on this??

17 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

2 weeks isn't that bad as long as they stick to it. 

This "2 weeks" stuff is stupid. What does anybody expect to be different in two weeks as opposed to now? I'm not for shutting it down at all, either. If people stick to games, wearing masks, and distancing... that should be sufficient. I'd guarantee this is a locker room/hallways/car pooling/hanging out problem, not a game playing problem. 

22 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

This "2 weeks" stuff is stupid. What does anybody expect to be different in two weeks as opposed to now? I'm not for shutting it down at all, either. If people stick to games, wearing masks, and distancing... that should be sufficient. I'd guarantee this is a locker room/hallways/car pooling/hanging out problem, not a game playing problem. 

They shut it down for 2 weeks to stop any other potential spread.  14 days is the current thought on how long someone with it could shed disease.  

I agree that it is mostly a locker room issue, as occurred in this one:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/89139

2 hours ago, carroll81 said:

They shut it down for 2 weeks to stop any other potential spread.  14 days is the current thought on how long someone with it could shed disease.  

I agree that it is mostly a locker room issue, as occurred in this one:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/89139

I don't know but this just came out. 

Indoor sports like ice hockey are high-risk activities for the spread of COVID-19, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The conclusions about such sports were contained in a section of the CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report posted online Thursday.

Edited by Quinlan2020a