Midam/USA hockey decision on hockey

12 minutes ago, Quinlan2020 said:

My kids are scrubs but they love hockey in any form. The better kids will prefer traditional hockey but will still be happy with any hockey. There are many spoiled kids that will complain because they are used to always getting their way, but they will adjust.

I don’t understand how competitive kids that want to play real hockey, not summer league hockey, equals spoiled kids. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, forbin said:

This season of 4 on 4 non contact will separate the good skaters and good hockey IQ kids from the rest of the pack. Should be really interesting to see how it all unfolds. Can't wait to see the sh*t storm of parents b*tching and moaning about their kids ice time!

Disagree, you can tell if a kid is a good skater with one shift.  Hockey iq ? Hockey is not typical played 4 on 4, this completely changes how the game is thought and reacted to on the ice by the more skilled players. No contact ? That’s not hockey. If your son is playing AAA anywhere. I can guarantee you, there will be no scouts watching a 4 on 4 no contact game. No matter what team you are on. Next season when things get back to normal, watch all the bad habits picked up by kids playing 4 on 4.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

I don’t understand how competitive kids that want to play real hockey, not summer league hockey, equals spoiled kids. 

That's different. I understand being disappointed. It reaches the spoiled level when one feels so above to making any sacrifices.

5 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Disagree, you can tell if a kid is a good skater with one shift.  Hockey iq ? Hockey is not typical played 4 on 4, this completely changes how the game is thought and reacted to on the ice by the more skilled players. No contact ? That’s not hockey. If your son is playing AAA anywhere. I can guarantee you, there will be no scouts watching a 4 on 4 no contact game. No matter what team you are on. Next season when things get back to normal, watch all the bad habits picked up by kids playing 4 on 4.  

My kid is too young for scouts and contact yet so I personally am not concerned with that. My point was that this will be a throwaway season and used more for conditioning than anything. 

Just now, Quinlan2020 said:

That's different. I understand being disappointed. It reaches the spoiled level when one feels so above to making any sacrifices.

That is not what your original post said. Your kids are “scrubs”, no sacrifice needed on their part. They only sacrifice needed to play real hockey is parents staying home. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PeterThePuck said:

Two proposals out there being voted on with PAHL tomorrow you won’t like the outcome.

Same proposals with PIHL.  

What's to stop teams from foregoing PAHL and going independent, scheduling games against others who choose to do the same? 

11 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

That is not what your original post said. Your kids are “scrubs”, no sacrifice needed on their part. They only sacrifice needed to play real hockey is parents staying home. 

I'm not debating that and I think my own kids have been spoiled by their cozy suburban life. I often need to reel them in when things don't go their way and I blame myself. These kids won't suffer in the long run. They will learn a lesson.

Edited by Quinlan2020

1 minute ago, beans said:

What's to stop teams from foregoing PAHL and going independent, scheduling games against others who choose to do the same? 

Nothing, other than they’ll probably have to do a lot of traveling to play full roster games. Problem is going to be finding rinks locally that’ll allow it. 

2 minutes ago, beans said:

Who is currently the biggest PAHL program, the predators ? If reports are true, ice castle is playing normal hockey. I can see King Ralph giving PAHL the finger and starting his own league. To much money to lose, plus he has independent teams. how can Ralph tell one team they can play normal hockey but another at the same age group they can not ?  PAHL and PIHL are doing a bad job of handling this in my opinion. They did not learn anything from the PIAA. What do you expect from a league that puts in a fair play point. 

1 minute ago, Danner27 said:

Posted above - 4 on 4 nine skaters no contact or no hockey. What will the financial ramifications be towards small clubs ? They can’t cut players, budgets are set. 

This is 100% incorrect.  It is 9+1 for players, 5 v 5 and checking allowed.  The goal is to maintain as much "true" hockey as possible while fitting within the state guideline of 25.

Hey if the legislature gets serious about fixing this, the correct answer is passing legislation that limits the liability of schools and organizations in a serious way from lawsuit over Covid.  Then we can get back to school, sports, etc without all the stop and starting. Everyone is so damned worried about a lawsuit (much more than worried about the virus) that everyone is paralyzed. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HereWithPopcorn said:

This is 100% incorrect.  It is 9+1 for players, 5 v 5 and checking allowed.  The goal is to maintain as much "true" hockey as possible while fitting within the state guideline of 25.

You can not play a game 5 on 5 with 9 skaters, tired sloppy hockey will happen, players get hurt when they are tired,  thus the 4 on 4 talk. I know part of the proposal is to switch players at a half time of some sort. That’s just an excuse to keep players paying. In the end it’s all the same and not hockey, it’s summer league. 

1 minute ago, Danner27 said:

Yes the plan is in place, play that way or don’t play (January). Reading comprehension! 

So your saying they will vote with one of the options being not playing at all. OK. I thought you were saying that the decision was made on how we are going to proceed and, if you don't like it, quit. Thanks for the "Reading Comprehension" comment. We should all be throwing in those little digs in, so we can be reminded that we're not friends at all. 

33 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Who is currently the biggest PAHL program, the predators ? If reports are true, ice castle is playing normal hockey. I can see King Ralph giving PAHL the finger and starting his own league. To much money to lose, plus he has independent teams. how can Ralph tell one team they can play normal hockey but another at the same age group they can not ?  PAHL and PIHL are doing a bad job of handling this in my opinion. They did not learn anything from the PIAA. What do you expect from a league that puts in a fair play point. 

A coach I know well was at Ice Castle over the weekend and told me that he watched a good bit of a full 5v5, full bench, referees and parents present scrimmage between the Predators and another organization. They've been loose about the regulations the entire time over there, though they did tighten up a bit briefly a few weeks ago.

Edited by Lifelongbender

3 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

You can not play a game 5 on 5 with 9 skaters, tired sloppy hockey will happen, players get hurt when they are tired,  thus the 4 on 4 talk. I know part of the proposal is to switch players at a half time of some sort. That’s just an excuse to keep players paying. In the end it’s all the same and not hockey, it’s summer league. 

If our youth could be sent to fight and die in a foreign land for a cause they didn't know much about or were even opposed to, then they can play summer hockey for a while.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lifelongbender said:

A coach I know well was at Ice Castle over the weekend and told me that he watched a good bit of a full 5v5, full bench, referees and parents present scrimmage between the Predators and another organization. They've been loose about the regulations the entire time over there, though they did tighten up a bit briefly a few weeks ago.

Yes, I was just told it was 18U vs Team Ohio 18U. Not many like king ralph, he has the money and resources, watch him become the savior for the Pahl folks. At first I was joking about him starting his own league, now as I think about it, I can see him doing it.