The minimum headcount for real hockey

Wondering if we can agree on what is the right minimum headcount for hockey? 

I think the worst case would be Tier 1 midget AAA , which would require:

20 players per team x 2 teams = 40 players

1 coach x 2 teams = 2 coaches

1 EMT

1 scorekeeper/timekeeper

2 refs (or say 4 if linesmen needed)

Looks like to run a full game, like a Mid-Am Tier I playoff game, we need to allow 48 bodies in the theater.

Are penalty box assistants required at Tier I ?  Not sure the answer.

Anyone else critical or required to the process?

In case we want to write that recommended letter to our law makers...

Edited by Jack Handey
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Scooby Doo said:

50 people in a 35 degree, 20,000 square foot building Equals a lot of social distancing....

Scooby Doo you seem to have connections at PAHL.  Why aren't they considering rinks Recreational Facilities?  They are allowed 50% occupancy.  I'm sure that's more than 25 people.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Scooby Doo you seem to have connections at PAHL.  Why aren't they considering rinks Recreational Facilities?  They are allowed 50% occupancy.  I'm sure that's more than 25 people.

I think that's something we're looking into and hope to get more clarification... 

• Like 1

Recreational facilities means any building or premise where people assemble for entertainment or social, relaxing including sporting purposes, amusement park, sport centre, billiard-room, skating ring and a public or private sports club facility, but does not include any building or site for a gambling premises, place of entertainment, functions or adult entertainment;

Pretty Clear to me!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Recreational facilities means any building or premise where people assemble for entertainment or social, relaxing including sporting purposes, amusement park, sport centre, billiard-room, skating ring and a public or private sports club facility, but does not include any building or site for a gambling premises, place of entertainment, functions or adult entertainment;

Pretty Clear to me!

The unfortunate thing is that there is an entire section devoted to Sports that people seem to try and ignore going the Recreational Facility route.

https://www.governor.pa.gov/covid-19/sports-guidance/

Recreational and Amateur Sports

Recreational and amateur sports organizations and teams (not affiliated with a public or private PK-12 school), including, but not limited to basketball, hockey, field hockey, football, soccer, swimming, baseball, softball, lacrosse, gymnastics, and kickball, are permitted to conduct in-person activities, including games and practices,  if they strictly adhere to the requirements of this guidance, including the limits on total occupancy outlined below (25 or fewer people indoors, 250 or fewer outdoors).

The unfortunate thing is that there is an entire section devoted to Sports that people seem to try and ignore going the Recreational Facility route.

Yes thanks for sharing.  Didn't see the Sports Guidance Articles before you pointed it out! Bummer! Just another confusing situation.  I'm guessing then that an open Skate could have 50% occupancy.  

Thought I was on to something! Too Good to be true!  Haha

It still doesn't make sense as to why its 25 indoor and 250 outdoor. Those numbers just seem completely arbitrary to me. Let's just throw some shit at the wall and see what sticks. When you have a neighboring state like Ohio where the number of cases and deaths are very close to the numbers here, and yet their indoor limit is 300 it just makes you really think...

Change it to 50, or better yet 100 and we all shut up and get back to hockey talk. Some will be happy (the majority of this board) and some will complain and want to stay home and that's completely their choice to do so.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, forbin said:

It still doesn't make sense as to why its 25 indoor and 250 outdoor. Those numbers just seem completely arbitrary to me. Let's just throw some shit at the wall and see what sticks. When you have a neighboring state like Ohio where the number of cases and deaths are very close to the numbers here, and yet their indoor limit is 300 it just makes you really think...

Change it to 50, or better yet 100 and we all shut up and get back to hockey talk. Some will be happy (the majority of this board) and some will complain and want to stay home and that's completely their choice to do so.

Agree 100%

18 minutes ago, hockey2020 said:

obviously 50 ppl would be way better than 25 but junior teams and prep teams   almost always have more than 20 on roster. the current proposed legislation only helps public and private schools - neither of which control many hockey venues. 

Correct. For a tier 1 midget game it’s 50 min, if you are playing in a league like the hphl, t1ehl etc scouts have to be accountant for, advisors, affiliates etc. if it’s a run of mill independent tier 1 midget game - 40 players, 4 coaches, score keeper, emt plus 3-4 on ice officials depending on the state or club hosting. Don’t forget about frank zamboni, most tier 1 games have two ice cuts. 

1 hour ago, forbin said:

The problem, much like the 6’ rule, is these are arbitrary numbers.  If someone could publish a legitimate study on why 25 if the tipping point, then I’d be more willing to accept it. Unfortunately, when pressed, the decision makers refuse to share “granular” data on any of these decisions.  What else are people left to do other than speculate there is something being hidden. 

• Like 1

I was told that the ice surface and the stands are considered two different pods therefore in theory if its raised to 50, that should be enough to accommodate tier 1 clubs effectively. Not sure what "pod" that frank zamboni and the EMTs fall into though.

• Haha 1