McVay out at Bethel

If the reason I’m hearing caused it, it sounds borderline silly. Basically cancel culture bs. My son played varsity for him for three years awhile back. 

Although a lot of people and players couldn’t stand him, I appreciated his consistency and the standards he set for the players. 

1 hour ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

I know there's been a lot of discussion about COVID and the season, but this is a pretty big deal in HS hockey.

https://thealmanac.net/sports/mcvay-out-as-bethel-park-hockey-coach/article_a04cc9b2-f316-11ea-a992-3bb230062fb6.html

The Game has passed him by. He got in trouble 2-3 years ago for influencing his players not to get concision tested. 

“if you get tested you have to sit out a week, regardless of the results”. 

He's currently banned from entering YMCA property for his actions so he couldn't coach this season anyway.

While the action may have been petty (from what I have heard), as pointed out by others in this chain, the laundry list of offenses has been stacking up over the years.  Was suspended for SafeSport violations a few years back as well.

3 hours ago, HereWithPopcorn said:

He's currently banned from entering YMCA property for his actions so he couldn't coach this season anyway.

While the action may have been petty (from what I have heard), as pointed out by others in this chain, the laundry list of offenses has been stacking up over the years.  Was suspended for SafeSport violations a few years back as well.

This is exactly correct. 

Edited by Lifelongbender

3 hours ago, HereWithPopcorn said:

It's one thing to be fired as coach but, I seriously doubt it was petty if he is banned from YMCA property.

• Like 2

What I heard - he was involved in Indian Princesses with his kids which is a father-daughter program the Y has sponsored for years. He sent a text with an offensive meme regarding Indians and somebody reported it. 

The BP board voted  him out and the Y banned him from their facilities. 

In the world of Mort, this hardly seems like his worst offense over the years but clearly being a bombastic prick has caught up with him. It's sort of like when Al Capone was finally busted for tax evasion.

On the other hand, the Y running a program that is screaming what the left calls cultural appropriation, and in turn, freaking out on Mort when they heard this seems a bit of a stretch.

Perhaps the Indians that turned him in were from Peters Township.

I honestly feel bad for his kids if they can't participate with their father anymore.

Edited by BpHawk

6 minutes ago, BpHawk said:

What I heard - he was involved in Indian Princesses with his kids which is a father-daughter program the Y has sponsored for years. He sent a text with an offensive meme regarding Indians and somebody reported it. 

In the world of Mort, this hardly seems like his worst offense over the years but clearly being a bombastic prick has caught up with him. It's sort of like when Al Capone was finally busted for tax evasion.

On the other hand, the Y running a program that is screaming what the left calls cultural appropriation, and in turn, freaking out on Mort when they heard this seems a bit of a stretch.

I honestly feel bad for his kids if they can't participate with their father anymore.

Without seeing the meme it's hard to say how justified it was. However, if he wasn't a jerk to begin with, an apology probably would've did the trick. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

Without seeing the meme it's hard to say how justified it was. However, if he wasn't a jerk to begin with, an apology probably would've did the trick. 

I haven't seen it either, nor has anyone that I know.

I'm pretty sure that apology isn't in Mort's vocabulary. Also pretty sure that the Y wanted this to go away as fast as possible.

I would love to see the meme before making judgement, but I met him at a coaching clinic and was not impressed with his personality. I was trying to be nice to him by complimenting the way his team played during the games that I witnessed. He seemed to think that he was above talking to me, being the big-time varsity coach that he was.

On 9/11/2020 at 7:22 PM, BpHawk said:

This here except not an Indian meme.  Was a meme of a black kid crying and it said f$#k fathers day.  Stupid ass white holiday.   It was sent to a group text that included black parents.  

20 hours ago, Pucktime said:

This here except not an Indian meme.  Was a meme of a black kid crying and it said f$#k fathers day.  Stupid ass white holiday.   It was sent to a group text that included black parents.  

Thanks. I found that meme. It's incredibly offensive, as I figured, since it's one thing to get fired but being banned from the entire premises is quite a step further.

It doesn't appear that many if any, former players or families of players are rushing to defend his {lack of} character. BP hockey, SHAHA and the Pittsburgh hockey community are all better off. I had heard that there had been numerous previous attempts to secure his ouster, but that he had an iron-clad contract which prevented it from happening. I'm sure the lawsuit papers are already being drawn up.

20 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

It doesn't appear that many if any, former players or families of players are rushing to defend his {lack of} character. BP hockey, SHAHA and the Pittsburgh hockey community are all better off. I had heard that there had been numerous previous attempts to secure his ouster, but that he had an iron-clad contract which prevented it from happening. I'm sure the lawsuit papers are already being drawn 

Based on the latest offense and everything listed here, Any board or hockey organization in the area that backs him up after the laundry list of offenses that keep growing, with the latest one being one of the worst, really puts a black eye on that board or organizations reputation.  If my children were still playing age and in an organization I sure wouldnt want him being the mentor and role model teaching my children.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pucktime said:

Based on the latest offense and everything listed here, Any board or hockey organization in the area that backs him up after the laundry list of offenses that keep growing, with the latest one being one of the worst, really puts a black eye on that board or organizations reputation.  If my children were still playing age and in an organization I sure wouldnt want him being the mentor and role model teaching my children.

The latest is pretty bad, to me the worse thing he has done was talk players out of concussion tests. That is playing with kids lives! 

he was suspended for a few weeks by mid am 2-3 years ago, does anyone remember why ? It might have been the concussion stuff, I can’t be sure nor, remember.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Danner27 said:

The latest is pretty bad, to me the worse thing he has done was talk players out of concussion tests. That is playing with kids lives! 

he was suspended for a few weeks by mid am 2-3 years ago, does anyone remember why ? It might have been the concussion stuff, I can’t be sure nor, remember.

Concussion protocol, verbal abuse and locker room issues

15 hours ago, Danner27 said:

He was fired by the boosters in 2004 and successfully sued to get his job back, too.

47 minutes ago, Lifelongbender said:

He was fired by the boosters in 2004 and successfully sued to get his job back, 

I've heard rumors of SHAHA backing him to the fullest no matter how much of a black eye he is bringing to the org.  If I was a SHAHA parent I'd be pulling my kid and taking them elsewhere.