Chances of PAHL having a season!?

We have to wait and see, but even the rinks that were following the sports rules as written (the very few rinks) are allowing full roster scrimmages. 

I think a season, at least of some sort, is nearly certain right now.

If the question was really "how likely are we to have a 'normal' season", that chance I put at 50/50.

The train seems to be rolling in the right direction for a "normal" season. I have heard from several organizations that their covid policies are going to be re-evaluated and most likely changed to allow full rosters and spectators starting October 1st. 

• Like 1

played at Baierl with full benches Saturday. heard RMU lawyers are evaluating the judges ruling. but RMU could use the outdoor rink for PAHL if need be. Not ideal, but if their lawyers are leery and all the other rinks are going to full benches, it might have to be that way for awhile. So I think PAHL will start pretty much normally, the question will be if it can continue for a full season.  

24 minutes ago, Seejay784 said:

I'm wondering what PIHL will do now that the stay was denied. I know schools are going to be a little more by the governors book, but schools are having 5v5 scrimmages now. I guess it's up to the league?

I'm guessing the stay will be granted by the federal appeals court panel next week but I hope I'm wrong. That's the next step now that the judge who actually made the ruling denied the stay. If the panel rejects a stay we will be good until they rule on the case and st that pace probably not til next year so we should get the season in normally. 

1 hour ago, aaaahockey said:

I'm guessing the stay will be granted by the federal appeals court panel next week but I hope I'm wrong. That's the next step now that the judge who actually made the ruling denied the stay. If the panel rejects a stay we will be good until they rule on the case and st that pace probably not til next year so we should get the season in normally. 

I find it fascinating that while being challenged by the judge that the non essential vs essential and how they arrived that their 25/250 limits, Wolf staff is not drafting a rebuttal, argument, or case study as to how they arrived at these decisions. Today was a opportunity to do that and yet they still cannot. Instead the response was more of a plea to consider the "stay" in order to save lives.  In the court of law that doesn't sound like air tight data.

If PAHL decides to delay the season, or play the 4v4, would the teams be able to just play a bunch of non league scrimmages instead? Since many of the independent teams are in full swing playing regular games in local rinks, it seems logical that PAHL teams can just "scrimmage" 15-20 games. I honestly don't know the rules, maybe there are league sanctions or bylaws. 

54 minutes ago, BeaverFalls said:

If we just keep kicking the can down the road I’m sure we will have a season by February or maybe March. 

I think it's kinda the opposite (assuming there isn't a stay). I bet we get most of a season in and February ish things get called back (pending who wins the elections)

15 hours ago, Seejay784 said:

I'm wondering what PIHL will do now that the stay was denied. I know schools are going to be a little more by the governors book, but schools are having 5v5 scrimmages now. I guess it's up to the league?

This is the same question I have been pondering. We've been told by our JV coaches that they'll be playing 5v5 instead of the 4v4 with two half game thing they'd been discussing, which only makes sense given the ruling. But what will happen now with varsity level hockey? I'm guessing they'll wait to make a decision until they know if the appeals court will grant a stay of the order - starting and then stopping would be catastrophic. I really don't know how to even guess what will happen with varsity.

From the East:

DVHL starts this coming weekend using their Covid-19 protocol I sent earlier.

Atlantic League started 2 weeks ago with full rosters.  All games were using 2 official system, midget moving to 4 officials next weekend.

Rinks were limited to no spectators up until this past weekend.  Most rinks allowing spectators now, with various checks or policies upon arrival.  Rinks are still pretty empty though.  No gathering allowed.  Can't leave bags laying around.  You're in and you're out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HockeyDad23 said:

How is everyone doing with scheduling of tournaments? Is New York open yet?

NY teams are still traveling out of state for games and tournaments.  No home games to my knowledge.

Local PAHL teams have been traveling to OH, VA for tournaments.

Edited by fafa fohi

24 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

NY teams are still traveling out of state for games and tournaments.  No home games to my knowledge.

Local PAHL teams have been traveling to OH, VA for tournaments.

That is what I have seen as well. Heard NY teams traveling to OH to play.  I know some PA teams have been to OH. Haven't heard anything on MI or how it is to play with a mask on.

1 hour ago, Seejay784 said:

We've been to Ohio a few times this year, and we played Detroit teams in the tournaments.  The parents we talked to explained to us that they just have to clip the mask on the outside of the cage. It looks weird but the kids didn't really care.

I feel like clipping the mask on the outside of the cage would greatly obstruct your view, as opposed to just wearing it normally under the cage.

17 hours ago, forbin said:

I feel like clipping the mask on the outside of the cage would greatly obstruct your view, as opposed to just wearing it normally under the cage.

That is kind of how we used to train to keep head up while stick handling 

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Anybody know when the PAHL will start?  No info on their homepage!  I know there teams are playing games. Are they all exhibition so far?

Squirts are currently playing placement games.  Higher levels the placement games were cancelled which pushes the "start" back a little, but the scheduling should be done for most teams now.  Regular season games should start around November 1.    I think most if not all teams have played some scrimmage/exhibition games by this point.