• Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
hockeymom99

Looking for advice-bullying

Has anyone ever had any experience with ongoing bullying in the locker room?  My son is 14.  This goes way betting typical adolescent boy behaviors.  I was hoping it would subside but it keeps getting worse.  My son has been peed on, gotten soap flung into his eyes off this other boy’s private’s numerous times, and tonight was spit on after showering.  This all coming from the assistant captain of the team.  I can’t just sit back anymore and let this happen and it’s realky negatively affecting my son. Just looking for any advice about how to proceed to get this resolved in the appropriate manner because what I want to do would not be appropriate. 

If your child plays on a team that is sanctioned by USA Hockey ( which I suspect he does ) there is SUPPOSED to be a locker room monitor. If that person cannot help, the coach or manager should be made aware. 

USA Hockey and SafeSport are clear in their stance that ALL instances of physical, emotional, sexual abuse OR BULLYING must MUST be reported. There is no gray area in their stance.

Edited by Chinstrap

On top of everything above I would get him out of that situation until it gets properly resolved immediately.  Getting him out of what sounds like an escalating situation with potentially serious health risks is more important than hockey.  That doesn't mean you let the situation go, make sure you pursue everything above - but at a minimum I would be avoiding showering situations. 

• Like 1

I'm going to echo what a previous person (Ynot02) wrote in the hopes that you have already done this or will do because this is absolutely NOT OK and needs to be addressed using the appropriate channels.

Please make sure to report this immediately.  What you have described is exactly what I have underlined in blue text below.  I'm pretty sure every player is supposed to sign a code of conduct form that prohibits them participating in this type of behavior (bullying or harassing anyone).  Don't let this go.  Report it.  It's wrong and it needs to be addressed.  

This is from USA Hockey SafeSport Reporting Policy ( https://www.usahockey.com/makingareport):

USA Hockey’s Reporting Policy is a key part of its SafeSport Program and an effective reporting policy is crucial to preventing abuse.  Section IV of the SafeSport Handbook contains specifics on the Reporting Policy.

The Policy requires that every employee or volunteer of any USA Hockey Member Program must report (1) actual or perceived violations of the USA Hockey SafeSport Program Handbook, (2) any violations of the policies prohibiting Sexual Abuse, Physical Abuse, Emotional Abuse, Bullying, Threats and Harassment, and Hazing, and (3) suspicions or allegations of child physical or sexual abuse to the appropriate USA Hockey representatives.

To make a report to USA Hockey, you may do so either by: (1) clicking on “Report to USA Hockey” and completing the Reporting Form, (2) emailing to SafeSport@usahockey.org, or (3) calling 800-888-4656.

Reports may also be made to the Affiliate SafeSport Coordinator.  To make a report to your Affiliate SafeSport Coordinator, please click on the link for the contact information for each Affiliate’s SafeSport Coordinator.

Edited by Cowbell