20% Arena Capacity for Indoor Sports

Way past due!  What's going to happen to the PIHL games between now and Friday. There are a whole lot on the schedule. I don't think I would want to let them play without parents.

Expecting parents to sit in a parking lot waiting for an emergency call is ludicrous at best and clearly a bad bad idea.

• Like 1

I'm assuming the rink owners will talk to their lawyers and get everything sorted out today. I would anticipate almost all of the rinks being able to operate as "normal" moving forward. PIHL and PAHL need to have a meeting ASAP and get the new guidelines set. 

As long as everyone follows the protocols put in place, the rules at the rink, and stays home if they are feeling sick, I don't see why we cant have a successful season.

Anyone know off hand the capacity limits for some local rinks? 

If 700 is Lebo's capacity, then that is 140 for max occupancy. If you figure between 2 teams there are 50 people - including coaches, officials, scorekeepers, emt, etc - and then another 50 people - including rink employees and teams who are either getting ready to play next or who just got off the ice - that's already 100 people. And that's just 40 left for spectators. I kind of think Lebo's capacity is higher than that, but even if it is 1000, that means 200 total people. So maybe parents are OK but not grandparents, siblings, etc. Knowing Lebo, they will follow whatever the rules are to a T, and probably UPMC, RMU, Baierl, and Brady's Run will as well.

2 hours ago, forbin said:

I'm assuming the rink owners will talk to their lawyers and get everything sorted out today. I would anticipate almost all of the rinks being able to operate as "normal" moving forward. PIHL and PAHL need to have a meeting ASAP and get the new guidelines set. 

As long as everyone follows the protocols put in place, the rules at the rink, and stays home if they are feeling sick, I don't see why we cant have a successful season.

Anyone know off hand the capacity limits for some local rinks? 

Dunno if this helps. Baierl says 1,000 per ice sheet

https://www.sportsinpa.com/venues/family-first-sports-park?rid=All&cid[]=All&vid[]=178#:~:text=Baierl Ice Complex features two,over 1000 seats per rink.

1 hour ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

If 700 is Lebo's capacity, then that is 140 for max occupancy. If you figure between 2 teams there are 50 people - including coaches, officials, scorekeepers, emt, etc - and then another 50 people - including rink employees and teams who are either getting ready to play next or who just got off the ice - that's already 100 people. And that's just 40 left for spectators. I kind of think Lebo's capacity is higher than that, but even if it is 1000, that means 200 total people. So maybe parents are OK but not grandparents, siblings, etc. Knowing Lebo, they will follow whatever the rules are to a T, and probably UPMC, RMU, Baierl, and Brady's Run will as well.

700 is the capacity in the stands. Who knows what the total occupancy is?  Might be a problem for High School Hockey with Students but I can't believe they will have a problem with Middle school.   I guess the only way to enforce the limit will be to keep count of total people in the facility. Then stop letting people in when it reaches the limits. I'm sure the capacity at UPMC & RMU is much higher.  Bigger buildings!

2 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

700 is the capacity in the stands. Who knows what the total occupancy is?  Might be a problem for High School Hockey with Students but I can't believe they will have a problem with Middle school.   I guess the only way to enforce the limit will be to keep count of total people in the facility. Then stop letting people in when it reaches the limits. I'm sure the capacity at UPMC & RMU is much higher.  Bigger buildings!

Absolutely. Google says RMU's sheet that the college team plays on is 1,200 seat capacity, and UPMC is 1,500 per sheet. If I am reading the note from Paul Day on this correctly, it is the capacity for the entire building based on the fire code. We should be totally fine for all PAHL and most PIHL games to be played as "normal".

If Baierl says its 1,000 seat per sheet I would think all of local rinks are very similar in seating capacity size or more. The stands there are not very large, especially on the World rink.

12 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Football is already controlling admittance by issuing a limited number of tickets etc. They'll figure it out.

2 hours ago, Chinstrap said:

Friday at 1201

I think it would be Silly and Dumb to play the Thursday schedule 4 on 4 then switch to regular Hockey.  Also would make no sense at all to not permit at least parents into the rinks for Thursday night games. I still say it would be far worse for a kid to have to wait till his parent comes into the rink if he gets hurt.  Hope they are thinking about it!

So, like them or not, believe them or not, PIHL has a mandate from MidAM and USAH  to completely follow the regulations in effect where the specific games are played or risk the games being played non sanctioned. 
I wanted to watch my kid’s game earlier this week and hope to watch the game next week, but the Governor has said Friday at 1201. Don’t think that is gonna change. And I don’t think wanting or wishing it to go away will do much good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chinstrap said:

So, like them or not, believe them or not, PIHL has a mandate from MidAM and USAH  to completely follow the regulations in effect where the specific games are played or risk the games being played non sanctioned. 
I wanted to watch my kid’s game earlier this week and hope to watch the game next week, but the Governor has said Friday at 1201. Don’t think that is gonna change. And I don’t think wanting or wishing it to go away will do much good.

Too many games to reschedule?  Too much money to be lost by not playing Thursday games. What happens if both teams don't show up Thursday?  Why the arbitrary goes into effect on Friday? Oh because the Governor picked that day. Makes sense to me.  Did you get to watch your kid's game on live barn? Did you sit out in the parking lot and wait? I just sure hope everyone remembers this if Mr Wolf ever decides to run for another office. He obviously has no clue and sure doesn't think things through.

Just curious cause there are a lot of comments here recently about "waiting on your kids to get hurt". Unless you are an EMT or other medical professional (and there isn't another one there) what exactly are you doing that you wouldn't be doing in the parking lot?  I should hope no one in here is a parent who would try to jump on the ice?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Too many games to reschedule?  Too much money to be lost by not playing Thursday games. What happens if both teams don't show up Thursday?  Why the arbitrary goes into effect on Friday? Oh because the Governor picked that day. Makes sense to me.  Did you get to watch your kid's game on live barn? Did you sit out in the parking lot and wait? I just sure hope everyone remembers this if Mr Wolf ever decides to run for another office. He obviously has no clue and sure doesn't think things through.

So Wolf gets crucified for having a 25 person limit here on this thread for months.  He has now changed his stance on this with a solution I think everyone can live with and is still getting grief.......dude just can't win.

Maybe the date of this Friday as being the day things are loosened up was done to allow rinks to instill the protocols needed to adhere to the new regulations.  How will they track headcount coming and going into the rink, where hand sanitizers are to be placed, which rows in the stands need to be labeled as areas people cannot sit, etc.  You cannot go from one extreme to another just by flicking a switch.  We have gone this far, what's a few more days?

It could be worse - you could live in Ontario or parts of Quebec and play zero games with practices where players must stay at least six feet apart from each other ( yes, no contact at practices ).  We have had a lot of naysayers here stating PIHL would not start up until November with Varsity beginning in January because of the big, bad Wolf........maybe, just maybe the self-proclaimed geniuses were actually wrong?  Nah, not possible because Wolfie would never reverse his opinion or direction on this.

Edited by fafa fohi
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Not sure if you’re coming at me or not but okay.

LiveBarn was down.

Stood in parking lot with other parents.

6 minutes ago, Chinstrap said:

Not sure if you’re coming at me or not but okay.

LiveBarn was down.

Stood in parking lot with other parents.

Definitely not coming after you.  I bet you had to be really frustrated with that.  I know I will be if I have to wait out in the parking lot tomorrow with no live barn. I keep telling myself it's about the kids and then I keep getting mad at Wolf who could have done this 2 or 3 months ago, but wanted to flex his muscles.  Thanks for the input. 

1 hour ago, fafa fohi said:

So Wolf gets crucified for having a 25 person limit here on this thread for months.  He has now changed his stance on this with a solution I think everyone can live with and is still getting grief.......dude just can't win.

Maybe the date of this Friday as being the day things are loosened up was done to allow rinks to instill the protocols needed to adhere to the new regulations.  How will they track headcount coming and going into the rink, where hand sanitizers are to be placed, which rows in the stands need to be labeled as areas people cannot sit, etc.  You cannot go from one extreme to another just by flicking a switch.  We have gone this far, what's a few more days?

It could be worse - you could live in Ontario or parts of Quebec and play zero games with practices where players must stay at least six feet apart from each other ( yes, no contact at practices ).  We have had a lot of naysayers here stating PIHL would not start up until November with Varsity beginning in January because of the big, bad Wolf........maybe, just maybe the self-proclaimed geniuses were actually wrong?  Nah, not possible because Wolfie would never reverse his opinion or direction on this.

Seems to me that every rink I have been at already has all the protocols in place.  The person standing at the door not letting people in Yesterday might be the same one to count people on Friday.  Wasn't going from one extreme to the other what was happening when the Judge ruled against him then the appeals court granted his stay.  This has been a cluster that Wolfie could have avoided. I wouldn't vote for him to be dog catcher.  I choose to live in America (land of the free home of the brave) until the 2020 Pandemic).

1 hour ago, aaaahockey said:

Just curious cause there are a lot of comments here recently about "waiting on your kids to get hurt". Unless you are an EMT or other medical professional (and there isn't another one there) what exactly are you doing that you wouldn't be doing in the parking lot?  I should hope no one in here is a parent who would try to jump on the ice?  

Doesn't an EMT need parental consent to request an ambulance?  I heard of a situation at a football game where a kid broke his arm and couldn't be taken off the field till a parent was present. I wouldn't jump on the ice, but I would sure like to be at the glass to talk to the EMT if an ambulance needed to be called.