Ref assault

5 minutes ago, Jack Handey said:

Wow, that guy needs to be prosecuted and banned for life.  No excuse for that in any sport.  Refereeing is never a fun job for sure. I do admire the guys that put on the stripes. Never enough pay for the abuse they take.

The funniest part is that the asshat blatantly stepped into the opposing player, couldn't stay on his feet through the contact he initiated, and then CLEARLY held the stick after the contact. He even extended his elbow for the contact.

This guy shouldn't be playing anywhere. What an embarrassment.

39 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

Looks like a D-league hack that lost it. It’s Probie wannabe asswipes like this along with midnight ice slots was why I quit playing in adult leagues. 

Penalty ? Tossed out of the game ? Totally agree, but that was not assault. It wasn’t even a wrestling match. Was it wrong ? Of course. 

• Confused 1
  • Barf 1

3 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Penalty ? Tossed out of the game ? Totally agree, but that was not assault. It wasn’t even a wrestling match. Was it wrong ? Of course. 

You need to look at the whole thing. Took teammates to pull him off. He pushes the refs head down several times to make him let go of his stick.  No excuse for knocking a guy a whole head smaller than him to the ground. Can't believe you would defend that.

I didn't see anything that would be considered a punch. It looked like he reacted to the ref being assertive to the point of putting his hand on him. He then swatted at the ref and the ref grabbed his stick and pulled him down. It was very bad behavior by the player, but the ref could have done a much better job at deescalating.

• Barf 1

4 minutes ago, Quinlan2020a said:

I didn't see anything that would be considered a punch. It looked like he reacted to the ref being assertive to the point of putting his hand on him. He then swatted at the ref and the ref grabbed his stick and pulled him down. It was very bad behavior by the player, but the ref could have done a much better job at deescalating.

You need to look at again! The Ref did not put a hand on him. He was signaling to the guy that he was ejected.  Swatted? Looks more like a punch to me. Ref grabbed his stick because he lost his balance trying to avoid the SWAT. You want the ref to skate away? I bet the guy would have gone after him.  Funny how 2 people can watch the same thing and see it so totally different.

13 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

You need to look at again! The Ref did not put a hand on him. He was signaling to the guy that he was ejected.  Swatted? Looks more like a punch to me. Ref grabbed his stick because he lost his balance trying to avoid the SWAT. You want the ref to skate away? I bet the guy would have gone after him.  Funny how 2 people can watch the same thing and see it so totally different.

It looked like the ref touched him, but I can't be sure. I think the ref should have skated away after the initial contact and ejected him. The player's behavior was ridiculous but I doubt it would have come to blows if the ref would have just went directly to the scorers booth. I don't think we saw it "totally" different. We both agree that a crime was committed, we just slightly disagree on the magnitude of the violence that occurred.

Edited by Quinlan2020a

1 hour ago, Danner27 said:

I had to edit down the original video I wanted to post which was over a minute because it would not allow me to post a video that size.

Go to LiveBarn and watch the whole thing.

34 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

First, this was a player and a REF, so let's start there. Secondly, even spitting on someone is assault- banging this guy's head into the ice is clearly assault. 

And from a sub player? Terrible etiquette. 

Right. Not even two players where there may have been more context we don't know about. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

First, this was a player and a REF, so let's start there. Secondly, even spitting on someone is assault- banging this guy's head into the ice is clearly assault. 

And from a sub player? Terrible etiquette. 

And lets keep things in perspective here........it was a freaking D league game at close to midnight where many of the players were going to slam a 12'er in the parking lot after the game because they are not trying to relive their high school glory years and are just out there for some fun, competitive activity on the ice away from work and the kids.

Edited by fafa fohi
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, fafa fohi said:

Looks like a D-league hack that lost it. It’s Probie wannabe asswipes like this along with midnight ice slots was why I quit playing in adult leagues. 

IMG_2416.MOV 47.71 MB · 16 downloads

@fafa fohi can you please post a longer version of this... like ~15 seconds before the collision all the way to the players leaving the ice?

Thanks!

Thanks- it looks like those 2 are the same video and they end right when the ref is pushed to the ice.  do you have the next segment from there to where the players pull him off?

Edited by Scooby Doo

18 hours ago, Danner27 said:

Yeah, that meets the legal definition of assault. It should meet the definition of anyone who plays sports, too.

Totally indefensible behavior for which he should be banned without delay.

• Like 1
  • 100 1