Out of Town Tournament Feedback

I've talked to some folks in organizations that are afraid to go out of town with Covid. Not from a health standpoint but from a game play, spectator, and overall process standpoint.

Wanted to provide our experience. We went to Cleveland OH for the Rock n Roll cup.  There was some up front paperwork like waivers for everyone in attendance. Not just players. I can tell you we had all parents and siblings also fill these out and when handed to the tournament folks they didn't even look at them.

We also filled out a table with each players name and address. In most instances we were only allowed 2 spectators. We had to list each spectator next to the player name. We showed the table at the one rink and they said don't worry about it, only the Gilmour rink will need it for temperature checks. On game day at Gilmour there was a long line to get it. They had our kids signing in. We cut to the front of the line to show them the table so they could temp check and check each player and spectator name off. Little disconnect with the arena personnel and tournament folks. Luckily we identified the problem and provided the table they original requested at sign ups.

Of course masks at all arenas. Kids had to get dressed outside as much as possible. And players could enter locker rooms 15 min before the game. Families entered 5 mins before the game.  Gilmour had a requirement to wear masks even when in the parking lot tailgating/getting dressed.

Other than the above the games were played normally. No hand shakes after the game. No congregating. Just head outside and follow the arrows in the rinks.

Was nice to get out of PA and have a normal tournament feel.

• Like 2

Totally agree with this. I've been to one in Cleveland as well and it felt great.  Most of the risk factors you have are things you can control pretty easily (how close you stand next to other parents, carpooling, what you do in the hotel) - I truly believe the hotel and cars are where most of the "sports related spread" would come from.  Maybe locker rooms but there is always the option of dressing outside. 

• Like 1

I’m all for masking etc not just heading into rinks but where called for in public spaces.

i can’t speak to NY’s restrictions but PA has 26 states on its recommended quarantine list. PA’s current rate is 8%. So if it followed its own rules set by Wolf and Levine it too would be a quarantined state. 

conversely, look at Ohio’s site. Pretty much every state in the Midwest from Iowa and culminating in Nevada. There’s a map with each state’s percentage per 100,000 cases. Reasonable. PA- not reasonable. PA has just a stupid list of states with no research or actual info on their site. Ohio at least has graphical explanations. They pull this stuff out of nowhere in Harrisburg. And as I said I believe Covid is a threat and it’s real but it’s the blind leading the blind with the governor and his staff. Also Bogen. Just a bunch of bull. Why should it be different state by state.

Edited by Racchi’s Rug
Wanted to add some stuff about Ohio’s website vs PA’s

1 hour ago, Racchi’s Rug said:

I’m all for masking etc not just heading into rinks but where called for in public spaces.

i can’t speak to NY’s restrictions but PA has 26 states on its recommended quarantine list. PA’s current rate is 8%. So if it followed its own rules set by Wolf and Levine it too would be a quarantined state. 

conversely, look at Ohio’s site. Pretty much every state in the Midwest from Iowa and culminating in Nevada. There’s a map with each state’s percentage per 100,000 cases. Reasonable. PA- not reasonable. PA has just a stupid list of states with no research or actual info on their site. Ohio at least has graphical explanations. They pull this stuff out of nowhere in Harrisburg. And as I said I believe Covid is a threat and it’s real but it’s the blind leading the blind with the governor and his staff. Also Bogen. Just a bunch of bull. Why should it be different state by state.

Makes no sense.  South Dakota and Nebraska are on the list. Their percentage is way lower than NY, NJ, and PA.  Technically our 3 Democratic Governor states really should be on the Quarantine list. But it seems as if when you have a Republican Governor, you are on the list.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hockey00 said:

Makes no sense.  South Dakota and Nebraska are on the list. Their percentage is way lower than NY, NJ, and PA.  Technically our 3 Democratic Governor states really should be on the Quarantine list. But it seems as if when you have a Republican Governor, you are on the list.  

Where did you get such figures on SD & Nebraska? Both those states are way higher. SD is over 20%. I guarantee there is research going into those decisions. NY is slight above 1% & NJ is just below 3%. You really think they are thinking about republican governors? Ridiculous. The post from Hockey00 that you responded to was critical of the decisions. Hockey00 may or may not be justified. I haven't looked at all those states yet. You are just spreading propaganda.

26 minutes ago, Saucey said:

My worry is with being in hotels over being in a rink for a short time frame Enclosed space, probably not great circulation, lots of people. And hotels struggle to control bed bugs. Thoughts on that?

Not sure about how bed bugs figures in anymore now than ever? Most things can be done pretty safely with the common sense masking & social distancing. Unfortunately, we don't have enough buy in on those things. People still must gather & socialize. Common sense isn't so common these days, so there is more risk than there needs to be. I don't se a lot of risk with families going to a hotel room and sticking together. Having team pizza parties, drinking and letting the kids run around unsupervised would be what causes the real problems.  

59 minutes ago, Saucey said:

My worry is with being in hotels over being in a rink for a short time frame Enclosed space, probably not great circulation, lots of people. And hotels struggle to control bed bugs. Thoughts on that?

Most hotels are operating at under a 50% capacity rate and at check in you can request a room that has not recently been occupied.  Business travel is down to a trickle so hotels are depending on tournaments to stay in business.

Bed bugs are no longer an issue in hotels - that was a couple of years ago especially in NYC hotels.

Edited by fafa fohi
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fafa fohi said:

Most hotels are operating at under a 50% capacity rate and at check in you can request a room that has not recently been occupied.  Business travel is down to a trickle so hotels are depending on tournaments to stay in business.

Bed bugs are no longer an issue in hotels - that was a couple of years ago especially in NYC hotels.

Bed bugs can always be an issue. We learned last year from Trip advisor that the hotel we were going to use in Buffalo had them. We were able to cancel. Always check reviews.

Your hockey family becomes your covid family. That's not a joke. But when you all are huddling and socializing all weekend, the whole hockey team and family are "in it" together. All have to work together to keep everyone safe and follow whatever rules the rink and hotel request.

• Like 1