Non USA Hockey Roster Question - Tournament Play

Hey guys. Is it possible in the area to assemble a group of kids and enter any ice hockey tournaments?  Everything typically talks about having to play with your sanctioned USA hockey roster.

Looking for any tips. Would be great to get some kids together over the holidays while our team is slow and play some games.

Any help is appreciated.

i live in TX, so it's possible things are dfferent there, but i have put together a couple of "tournament" teams in the past and it does require that one of your local orgs be willing to "roster" your team through USA Hockey.   a couple of times, i was able to convince them to do it, and on more than one other occasion, they refused, because they wanted to be the ones to offer a tournament team to the same parent demographic and charge them for practices and whatnot.  But, without being rostered through a recognized org, i think you would be SOL.

Edited by champeen
spelling

Yeah it's possible if you can find an organization to roster the team.  The trouble with tournament teams is carryover discipline.  Say your tournament has run it's course, but one kid gets a game misconduct and owes one game suspension.  Who will he serve it with?  It's messy stuff like that that keep organizations from rostering temporary teams.  Probably better off just taking a rest while the rest of your in-season team is slow.  

1 hour ago, Jack Handey said:

Yeah it's possible if you can find an organization to roster the team.  The trouble with tournament teams is carryover discipline.  Say your tournament has run it's course, but one kid gets a game misconduct and owes one game suspension.  Who will he serve it with?  It's messy stuff like that that keep organizations from rostering temporary teams.  Probably better off just taking a rest while the rest of your in-season team is slow.  

Thanks. That is sound advice and something I never thought of

1 hour ago, champeen said:

i live in TX, so it's possible things are dfferent there, but i have put together a couple of "tournament" teams in the past and it does require that one of your local orgs be willing to "roster" your team through USA Hockey.   a couple of times, i was able to convince them to do it, and on more than one other occasion, they refused, because they wanted to be the ones to offer a tournament team to the same parent demographic and charge them for practices and whatnot.  But, without being rostered through a recognized org, i think you would be SOL.

Thanks for the feedback!

We are willing to take on 18uAA or AAA players for tourneys that our team is going to.  We usually always have a few open spots for players.  Direct message me for more info.

Edited by Wes
  • Fist Bump 1