Mid Am Tier II, End of year Tournament

Can anyone tell me how teams are selected for the end of year Tier II Tournament.  Is there some type of qualifying requirement?  I can't seem to find anything on their website or USA Hockeys website.  Is there some type of MY Hockey Rankings metric?  Thanks in advance.  I think I know that in Tier 1 it is the top 6 teams in the Mid-AM?

Tier II associations are supposed to declare their interest in the spring prior to the start of the season.  In the fall, there is a tournament application mailed to associations.  If you still think you are a contender after having played a few games, your head coach / team manager can apply.  You fill out the application and mail in your down payment to mid-am to reserve your spot.  So it's like an invitation to a party but you asked earlier in the year to be on the invite list. 

7 minutes ago, Jack Handey said:

Tier II associations are supposed to declare their interest in the spring prior to the start of the season.  In the fall, there is a tournament application mailed to associations.  If you still think you are a contender after having played a few games, your head coach / team manager can apply.  You fill out the application and mail in your down payment to mid-am to reserve your spot.  So it's like an invitation to a party but you asked earlier in the year to be on the invite list. 

So it can be an unlimited amount of teams?  Can a team pay the down payment then back out for whatever reason?  Are there any results anywhere for last years tournaments that can be viewed?  Thanks for the info.

Read this thread below to get an idea on how it all works.  Mid-Am will post the scores on its web site, but they do not maintain a public history on their web site.   If you need history it's better to scrape results out of MHR .  Even the links to last year's tournament scores seem to be broken.  Sad, cuz the kids work so hard and should be recognized.

MidAm sucks. It's a bunch of Senior Citizens who still believe we are living the 1990's. The internet? What's that?

If anyone is still wondering why the King signed off so abruptly and had this website "scrubbed" of his diatribes, it's because many members of MidAm and USA Hockey received notice of his lawsuit against them that same day he vanished. I wish him good luck as that board needs to be rid of it's antiquated ways and elderly members.

I can still remember a memo 3-4 years ago that came from Czar Day that insisted no teams should be playing in any tournaments not sanctioned by the District and then you go to the website to find a list of sanctioned events and it doesn't exist. It existed in every other district except MidAm.

#goawaypaulday

5 minutes ago, dazedandconfused said:

MidAm sucks. It's a bunch of Senior Citizens who still believe we are living the 1990's. The internet? What's that?

If anyone is still wondering why the King signed off so abruptly and had this website "scrubbed" of his diatribes, it's because many members of MidAm and USA Hockey received notice of his lawsuit against them that same day he vanished. I wish him good luck as that board needs to be rid of it's antiquated ways and elderly members.

I can still remember a memo 3-4 years ago that came from Czar Day that insisted no teams should be playing in any tournaments not sanctioned by the District and then you go to the website to find a list of sanctioned events and it doesn't exist. It existed in every other district except MidAm.

#goawaypaulday

Wow, I had no idea there were problems with MidAm.  They sure do have a lack of info on their website. How does one go about getting on their board?

1 minute ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Wow, I had no idea there were problems with MidAm.  They sure do have a lack of info on their website. How does one go about getting on their board?

I inquired several times over the years because I was interested in getting on the board and more specifically being a registrar.  Guess what?  No replies back to me.

It seems like a lot of nepotism over there.  You're either with the in crowd or you're not needed.

I've given up trying to volunteer even though I have the time to do it.  I'll use that time elsewhere.

1 hour ago, dazedandconfused said:

MidAm sucks.

Well, they do suck at getting information out to the members.  Consider the original post.  No one understands how their biggest event of the year works. 

And for as many people as they have involved, why can't they find like one soul who can write a useful web site?

20 hours ago, Jack Handey said:

I think most of the board positions are elected.  Not sure about registrar?  Did you run?

Nobody responded to me about how I can participate.  ZERO response from the Midam.  So, no, I didn't run as I couldn't run.

6 hours ago, Jack Handey said:

Maybe they only send communication to your association presidents.

Which is a great way to ensure that 90% of the membership never knows about the elections. They have the email address of EVERY member so shouldn't every member be notified of open positions and election dates/procedures? But then of course, they might not be able to protect their little empire from intruders.

16 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

Which is a great way to ensure that 90% of the membership never knows about the elections. They have the email address of EVERY member so shouldn't every member be notified of open positions and election dates/procedures? But then of course, they might not be able to protect their little empire from intruders.

Wow, whats the benefit to them?  Do they have kids that get a benefit somehow?  I can't find any info on the Tier II tournament site for this year on there website. I see Tier 1 in Columbus Ohio.  They sure could do a lot more with their website to promote Hockey that's for sure.  Like have a link to the MidAm Rankings.  I checked Atlantic Amateur Hockey site and easily found the site for their Tier II Tourney this year.   They seem a lot more with it.

I mean, I know we are all into conspiracies and such....but why not ask your home organization? 

For Tier II, it's not some mystical process. If you want to play in it, you can. To me it's no different than any other tournament, except if you win you can compete at Nationals. You should be a competitive team in AA or as an independent or you waste your players' time and other teams. It's sometimes hard to gauge that at the beginning of the season, so I think I would prefer there be more of a selection process or wait longer for teams to declare or something. 

So when an organization advertises during try outs that they are a 'Nationsl bound' team....all they are saying is that they hope to form a competitive team to play in that tournament, win it, and go to Nationals.

Not as special as it seems at first blush, is it?

On 11/3/2020 at 10:57 AM, Wes said:

I inquired several times over the years because I was interested in getting on the board and more specifically being a registrar.  Guess what?  No replies back to me.

It seems like a lot of nepotism over there.  You're either with the in crowd or you're not needed.

I've given up trying to volunteer even though I have the time to do it.  I'll use that time elsewhere.

Are you talking about Mid Am or your local organization? If Mid Am needs to fill a position, they frequently look to Presidents and boards for recommendations, or tap the people they already know from that pool.

Registrar kind of sucks, be glad you didn't do it. ?

On 11/5/2020 at 11:32 AM, Saucey said:

Are you talking about Mid Am or your local organization? If Mid Am needs to fill a position, they frequently look to Presidents and boards for recommendations, or tap the people they already know from that pool.

Registrar kind of sucks, be glad you didn't do it. ?

Was inquiring in the past about being part of mid-am.  Not interested anymore...