My Hockey Rankings

The overall ranking lists all U18 teams, regardless of level of play. The tournament bound ranking lists teams who are either eligible to participate in or declared intentions in playing the Tier 1 USA National Championship tournament.

PPE went from 6th in overall ranking to 2nd in tournament ranking because there are 3 Upper Midwest HS Elite Hockey League teams, plus Northstar Christian Academy (NAPHL) ahead of them. All four of these teams are ineligible for the tier 1 tournament for one reason or another. MN primarily recognizes Shattuck as the only true tier 1 team in the state. 

• Like 1

Forgive my ignorance, but how do games get logged with My Hockey Rankings?  My family has multiple teams and some teams get results logged and some don't.  All three teams are PAHL sanctioned and all three business managers shrug their shoulders at me when I asked the question.

Does PAHL do it, is at an organizational level, or are there coaches on the team that log them.  Maybe a possibility of any of those options I suppose...

8 hours ago, AngryKid001 said:

Forgive my ignorance, but how do games get logged with My Hockey Rankings?  My family has multiple teams and some teams get results logged and some don't.  All three teams are PAHL sanctioned and all three business managers shrug their shoulders at me when I asked the question.

Does PAHL do it, is at an organizational level, or are there coaches on the team that log them.  Maybe a possibility of any of those options I suppose...

It’s all done by volunteers 

11 hours ago, AngryKid001 said:

They are right, it can be done by any volunteer.  In teams my kids have been with the team managers have generally done this. 

My hockey rankings should always be remembered as a tool for that purpose, but not dispositive. I hate when the players discover its existence...if their team is ranked high, they sometimes get a big head. If low, underestimate their abilities. I caution my players that any team can fall or win on any given day, depending on what they bring. In that sense, it becomes an Iinvaluable tool for teaching about the mental aspects of a game... because that plays out, the team loses to a much lower ranked team and vice versa.

Don't we see that play out with the pros across many sports? (They play to the level of the team, etc.)

Coaches should be aware of chatter about these rankings on the team. Too much weight either way, can affect play.