More shutdowns?

15 hours ago, PUCKCOVID19 said:

Well I guess the shutdown doesn't apply to a local organization. it is confirmed that the Esmark teams are all traveling to Dallas Texas this weekend to continue to play. HOW are they even able to pull this off since EVERY team seems to be on a pause BUT them?  Wonder if mid am knows about this?

My team would be travelling to play this weekend if I could find a tourney within 6 hours of Pgh, but there are none.  So we will have to wait.  I have no problem with anyone travelling for hockey right now. 

• Fist Bump 1

17 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Obviously PPE has the more prestigious name and is backed by the Pens organization.  Plus those families drink the kool-aid from the time their kids start skating until they get a dose of reality. Is Esmark more expensive than PPE? Just curious!

Oh we drank the Kool-aid also but we got smart before it was to late. From what I got from the parents I know Esmark is between $2,000-$2,500 cheaper and that's buying their own bags, jumpsuits, pants and jerseys (Dick's buys those for the PPE)just to start and they don't come asking for extra $$$ multiple times throughout the season either.  Esmark doesn't make it mandatory for all players to stay in the same hotel like PPE (unless it's a stay & play)

1 hour ago, Pucks11 said:

Esmark has had MULTIPLE calls from PPE parents and kids that wanted out before a 2nd shutdown but the PPE refused to release them. 

This doesn't surprise me a bit... PPE are very self serving.  Why look out for the kids best interests??  

I know of at least one other local org (non AAA) that screws kids/families like that.  It's a bunch of BS.  If the kids aren't happy, then go away.  Last thing I would do is force them to stay and pay.  But then again money making isn't my first objective in hockey like some other teams who screw people.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, forbin said:

PPE is more expensive than esmark especially when you factor in the cost of the excel program, because lets be honest here if you don't do excel, you don't make the team.

And if you're a female and are on PPE and don't go to SSA, then you don't stay on PPE for long either unless you've got deep pockets and are lovey dovey with certain PPE personnel.  

1 hour ago, forbin said:

Not defended the Preds because I have zero affiliation with them whatsoever, BUT the direction from the PAHL is only that league games and jamborees are suspended. Says nothing about practices and team events. 

I don't have a dog in this hunt - I disagree with suspending the season, and both the school teams and the amateur organization my kids play for are entirely suspended until January 4 - but while the PAHL statement doesn't mention practice, the governor's order absolutely suspends them. You have to go to the definitions part to read what they mean by the various terms in the school and amateur sports to see it clearly, but this is from the order:

“Intrastate and Interstate sports leagues or tournaments” means all organized athletic contests, competitions, scrimmages, or practices regardless of what they are called and shall include, but not be limited to, club, travel, recreational, intermural, and intramural sports, and includes physical presence of persons from the same state or other states.  

The emphasis there is mine.

If any organization is permitting practices, more power to them - I wish my kids were still playing and practicing - but they're clearly violating the order.

As others have noted, while I disagree with the actions being taken WRT youth sports, violating this order isn't going to make it quicker for us to resume.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Obviously PPE has the more prestigious name and is backed by the Pens organization.  Plus those families drink the kool-aid from the time their kids start skating until they get a dose of reality. Is Esmark more expensive than PPE? Just curious!

Esmark can be more expensive depending what the travel schedule is for the season. 

why will esmark always be second to ppe ? For starters, esmark is not run very well. Esmark does not have a nutritionist. Their off ice program is terrible (when the trainer shows up). It’s really a long list, having a kid that played for both ppe & esmark I could go on forever, that’s not to say ppe doesn’t have their own issues lately but this thread was not about that, it was about covid and hockey. 

37 minutes ago, Pucks11 said:

Oh we drank the Kool-aid also but we got smart before it was to late. From what I got from the parents I know Esmark is between $2,000-$2,500 cheaper and that's buying their own bags, jumpsuits, pants and jerseys (Dick's buys those for the PPE)just to start and they don't come asking for extra $$$ multiple times throughout the season either.  Esmark doesn't make it mandatory for all players to stay in the same hotel like PPE (unless it's a stay & play)

It is mandatory with esmark and league events to stay in the same hotel. Where do you think the nahl raises money ? Off the na3hl and the crappy naphl. 

when my son played, PPE was more expensive up front by about $1,000 but esmark travel exceed the cost of ppe travel buy a pretty good Margin. If I recall correctly at esmark we had to goto Minnesota 2 times that season. Those trips were very expensive. The years my son spent at PPE, they were in the T1EHL. The extra $1,000 upfront though was well worth it. Nutritionist, excellent off ice 3 days a week (not just right before practice for an hour like esmark). Shoot around icetime, I could go on and on but this isn’t really the thread, so let’s get back to lockdowns!!!

1 hour ago, Danner27 said:

It is mandatory with esmark and league events to stay in the same hotel. Where do you think the nahl raises money ? Off the na3hl and the crappy naphl. 

when my son played, PPE was more expensive up front by about $1,000 but esmark travel exceed the cost of ppe travel buy a pretty good Margin. If I recall correctly at esmark we had to goto Minnesota 2 times that season. Those trips were very expensive. The years my son spent at PPE, they were in the T1EHL. The extra $1,000 upfront though was well worth it. Nutritionist, excellent off ice 3 days a week (not just right before practice for an hour like esmark). Shoot around icetime, I could go on and on but this isn’t really the thread, so let’s get back to lockdowns!!!

Your kid must not play for either anymore because it's not mandatory with Esmark anymore. You can look up the pricing also for the PPE and Esmark and it is $2,000 cheaper. The nutritionist you speak of with the PPE gives the kid a printed paper off of a website and tells the kids to drink chocolate milk, the EXACT  same thing any coach with a brain and can read can tell the kids without the extra $$$ spent. PPE only offered 2 gyms last season and they were literally right before their practices, any time that ice opens up Esmark offers shoot around ice which PPE haven't offered in 2yrs especially now with the guidelines. Esmark's gym is under new management Finish First, so a coach not showing up means nothing now. How about how PPE share ice for practices and Esmark doesn't. 

PPE doesn't do Fundraising where Esmark does at least 1 per month. 

When your kid this and when your kid that, your views are obviously outdated. I know parents that still have kids at both organizations and compare notes every year. 

Edited by Pucks11

2 hours ago, forbin said:

I mean every thread on here turns into a PPE thread, so you might as well finish your sales pitch.

I have no sales pitch, both of my kids are done. Just speaking on personal experience. I should add when my oldest was doing very well at ppe, excel was just starting so we never got pushed towards it. It was the younger 03s at the time. mainly one kid that program was started for. Now it’s morphed into crazy money.  Most folks on here just go by hearsay and have not been involved in these programs. a lot of bitterness because their kids didn’t make a team etc. 

I’m enjoying watching my 11 year old niece learn to play hockey along with my oldest working with her. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hockey2020 said:

keep telling yourself that pucks11. LOL. The only people who think esmatk is better are the ones whose kid didn’t make PPE early on but finally ended up on esmark. it’s. no brainer on so many levels

Did you not read above where I said my kid played for the PPE (gold) and we LEFT as in didn't try out. Why is it a no brainer when no one has given anything that proves that besides the Pittsburgh Penguins name and colors? Cost, doesn't compare,  coaching,  doesn't  compare as PPE runs everyone out, skating and skills the PPE ran all of their good one's out, gym Esmark's is 4 times bigger and has a track, practices Esmark is better, NHL drafted players advantage Esmark as PPE has 000000, college and junior bound Esmark has more. 

1 hour ago, Pucks11 said:

Your kid must not play for either anymore because it's not mandatory with Esmark anymore. You can look up the pricing also for the PPE and Esmark and it is $2,000 cheaper. The nutritionist you speak of with the PPE gives the kid a printed paper off of a website and tells the kids to drink chocolate milk, the EXACT  same thing any coach with a brain and can read can tell the kids without the extra $$$ spent. PPE only offered 2 gyms last season and they were literally right before their practices, any time that ice opens up Esmark offers shoot around ice which PPE haven't offered in 2yrs especially now with the guidelines. Esmark's gym is under new management Finish First, so a coach not showing up means nothing now. How about how PPE share ice for practices and Esmark doesn't. 

PPE doesn't do Fundraising where Esmark does at least 1 per month. 

When your kid this and when your kid that, your views are obviously outdated. I know parents that still have kids at both organizations and compare notes every year. 

Correct if you followed my posts over the years my kids are done. I’m speaking mostly about my experience with my 99 who was a very high level player. Drafted into the ushl, made a nahl team his senior year in high school. He decided to head right to college and be done with hockey for multiple reasons. My 02 played at esmark, the experiences, coaching, skills, off ice , exposure, league etc where not even close to ppe. Not to mention location, pia is in a drug infested ghetto. That area has been discussed here multiple times. 

2 minutes ago, hockey2020 said:

ha! ya so many kids at 16 would rather be on esmark. hilarious ! u drank the koolaid because you had no choice!

Drank the kool aid ? Let me know when your kid makes a NAHL team at 17 years old. If your kid is still playing 18u AAA, chances are extremely slim he gets a real juniors opportunity, he’s done and not going anywhere. All the top talent is gone by that age. The kids have all been identified, drafted etc.

6 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Drank the kool aid ? Let me know when your kid makes a NAHL team at 17 years old. If your kid is still playing 18u AAA, chances are extremely slim he gets a real juniors opportunity, he’s done and not going anywhere. All the top talent is gone by that age. The kids have all been identified, drafted etc.

was not meaning to reply to you. my opinion is the esmark ppl talk themselves into thinking it’s better. the resources at poe are better period. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pucks11 said:

Did you not read above where I said my kid played for the PPE (gold) and we LEFT as in didn't try out. Why is it a no brainer when no one has given anything that proves that besides the Pittsburgh Penguins name and colors? Cost, doesn't compare,  coaching,  doesn't  compare as PPE runs everyone out, skating and skills the PPE ran all of their good one's out, gym Esmark's is 4 times bigger and has a track, practices Esmark is better, NHL drafted players advantage Esmark as PPE has 000000, college and junior bound Esmark has more. 

ya right. again - Keep telling yourself that you may start believing it. very defensive on this sore spot - that’s for sure. 

33 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Correct if you followed my posts over the years my kids are done. I’m speaking mostly about my experience with my 99 who was a very high level player. Drafted into the ushl, made a nahl team his senior year in high school. He decided to head right to college and be done with hockey for multiple reasons. My 02 played at esmark, the experiences, coaching, skills, off ice , exposure, league etc where not even close to ppe. Not to mention location, pia is in a drug infested ghetto. That area has been discussed here multiple times. 

You've used this information numerous times in what I presume is your way of proving your "anonymous message board street cred" and I have looked over the USHL 2015 draft extensively and can't find any 99 that fits this description.

There were a handful of 99's from here that were very good, most notably Logan Hutsko whose family moved to Toronto when he was like 11. He went on to Shattuck, the NTDP, was drafted by Florida and is still at BC. Liam Walsh went to Detroit early and played in the USHL for a few years and now at D1 Merrimack. Tanner Palocsik developed a little later and played NCDC and is now at Dartmouth. Same for Connor Fedorek who went NAHL and is now at Ferris St. There was a kid from Latrobe that did play for the Tomahawks as a Senior in HS but that ended poorly. After that season he went back to Esmark 18U and he didn't have an 02 brother.

Your "backstory" just does not seem to add up. Below is the link to USHL draft for 99's filtered down to only USA born players. Maybe someone else recognizes a local player that I can't find on this list.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/draft/ushl-futures-draft/2015?nation=usa

1 hour ago, hockey2020 said:

ya right. again - Keep telling yourself that you may start believing it. very defensive on this sore spot - that’s for sure. 

Again I have given FACTS with numbers and everything that you can even look it for yourself (it's free) while you and others have just say nope no way can't be. 

Keep drinking that Kool-aid. We took a few sips and ran away because it was sour. 

I agree with you about PIA, definitely not the best area but the PPE as an organization has changed for the worst over the last few years. They are very money hungry and that's it. 

44 minutes ago, dazedandconfused said:

You've used this information numerous times in what I presume is your way of proving your "anonymous message board street cred" and I have looked over the USHL 2015 draft extensively and can't find any 99 that fits this description.

There were a handful of 99's from here that were very good, most notably Logan Hutsko whose family moved to Toronto when he was like 11. He went on to Shattuck, the NTDP, was drafted by Florida and is still at BC. Liam Walsh went to Detroit early and played in the USHL for a few years and now at D1 Merrimack. Tanner Palocsik developed a little later and played NCDC and is now at Dartmouth. Same for Connor Fedorek who went NAHL and is now at Ferris St. There was a kid from Latrobe that did play for the Tomahawks as a Senior in HS but that ended poorly. After that season he went back to Esmark 18U and he didn't have an 02 brother.

Your "backstory" just does not seem to add up. Below is the link to USHL draft for 99's filtered down to only USA born players. Maybe someone else recognizes a local player that I can't find on this list.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/draft/ushl-futures-draft/2015?nation=usa

Futures draft, didn’t play in the ushl. Made a nahl team at 17 decided he wanted to move on with his life and go straight to college. Some people here know who I am due to taking about him loosely, the old king if you were around knew who my son was. Don’t need street cred, my kids don’t play anymore. 

Futures draft, didn’t play in the ushl. Made a nahl team at 17 decided he wanted to move on with his life and go straight to college. Some people here know who I am due to taking about him loosely, the old king if you were around knew who my son was. Don’t need street cred, my kids don’t play anymore. 

The “old king” knowing who your son was is no badge of honor.