slippery rock suspends hockey team

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

The sheer horror of "and the requirement of new members to participate in challenges including physical challenges such as a scavenger hunt and foot races.” probably should have been left out.  The others are sufficient. 

IF they were being forced to drink then that’s bad.  I could also see where strippers would make someone uncomfortable.

The question lies in whether they were being forced to consume alcohol OR if it was some party where everyone participated willingly and stripper shenanigans happened. 

With that said, I was expecting much worse than that. 

Does this warrant nuking a program though? 

Edited by ctil20

From that article it's obvious that they want the program rebuilt from scratch without anyone that was there before. Good luck with that!  Doesn't that alienate all of the Alumni. They must not care!  Then they wonder why enrollment is down!  Sounds like college is a pretty boring place these days!  I wonder how much money the school put into the club hockey team?  I know some schools only offer like 2000.00 for the year and most kids have to pay their own way.

46 minutes ago, dazedandconfused said:

Transferring to?

IUP - okay

RMU - maybe

JCU - probably not

Pitt - no way

Maybe a college education should be chosen on merit and not the ACHA hockey team.

Come on, all of those schools are, academically speaking, at least on par with Slippery Rock. And right now they all have hockey, so they're from a hockey standpoint superior.

The only one of the group I would even consider going to from an academic standpoint is Pitt, but then I am an engineer. Your definition of merit and mine definitely don't align.

1 hour ago, dazedandconfused said:

Sorry, here's a clarification. The way those are listed and defined are on the ability to qualify for transfer admission to each school from The Rock.

@dazedandconfused, I feel like a jerk. If that's what you meant, I generally agree with your assessment. I jumped to a conclusion, and I hereby withdraw my reaction.

Sorry about that.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Mars coach, Steve Meyers (Sutton), was a Slippery Rock Alumni from 2003-2006. Wasn't it YOUR class that started the hazing tradition at SRU 15-18 years ago?! I like how you deleted ALL of your posts on this thread LOL!

You FAILED protecting this young lady as a COACH! As you probably did 15-18 years ago as a SRU player. Take a good look in the mirror, the blame and guild lies with YOU, Sutton, you were there! Why didn't you do anything?! My friend, who will you blame when your team ends up 0-19 this season? Armstrong or PIHL? You got your name out there. Now it is time for you to RESIGN! You should be banned from hockey!

- SRU Rock Hard Pride

• Holy Moly 1

20 hours ago, Rock Hard-Pride said:

Mars coach, Steve Meyers (Sutton), was a Slippery Rock Alumni from 2003-2006. Wasn't it YOUR class that started the hazing tradition at SRU 15-18 years ago?! I like how you deleted ALL of your posts on this thread LOL!

You FAILED protecting this young lady as a COACH! As you probably did 15-18 years ago as a SRU player. Take a good look in the mirror, the blame and guild lies with YOU, Sutton, you were there! Why didn't you do anything?! My friend, who will you blame when your team ends up 0-19 this season? Armstrong or PIHL? You got your name out there. Now it is time for you to RESIGN! You should be banned from hockey!

- SRU Rock Hard Pride

Deflect deflect deflect…counter-accuse…

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2021 at 8:04 AM, Pa Hockey said:

Many of the players and recruits have moved on to IUP, Pitt, Robert Morris, JCU and other places for 2021-22. SRU is the loser here and will NEVER  field an ACHA D 1 team again 

We get it - your kid transferred from sru to iup. SRU are some how losers in this situation because they shut down the club hockey team. It’s a club sport, these schools care more about their image & eduction. 99% of the students are there for an education not to play club sports. Why would any young man transfer from one college club hockey team to another for their senior year. It’s not all that smart when you are talking about academics, majors and transferring credits. We are not talking ncaa hockey. 

once all the facts came out about SRU situation, that program needed shut down. It’s not the 80’s anymore regardless if any of us like it or not. 

you failed to mention the majority of the players stayed at SRU, a lot are now playing on the inline hockey team. Seems the ice hockey team was a problem. 

SRU was the winner here, they took action against a school club that didn’t take academics serious, alcohol issues & was constantly in trouble. 

BTW - there is no D in ACHA hockey. It’s M. This is not NCAA hockey. M1,M2 & M3 - not much of a difference in any of these teams (I’m not talking about the High power 5-6 schools in the acha) It’s the schools that have more than one team is where you see a difference in play such as IUP, Duquesne etc fielding M1 & M3 teams. The better kids at the school / older kids are on M1. a school like PSU that only fields one club team in M2 is virtually the same as the IUP M1 club team. Some schools have always just fielded one team in M3, some of these M3 teams would smack around western pa M1 teams. 

Edited by Danner27
  • Dislike 1

FYI - Jamie - Graduated from Slippery Rock with Finance and Sport Management Degree with Honors and is getting an MBA from Eberly Business College at IUP - Get your facts straight!

I will not acknowledge jealous character assassination of college students - What a shame!

Happy Holidays Everyone 

Edited by Pa Hockey
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pa Hockey said:

FYI - Jamie - Graduated from Slippery Rock with Finance and Sport Management Degree with Honors and is getting an MBA from Eberly Business College at IUP - Get your facts straight!

I will not acknowledge character assassination of college students - What a shame!

3 hours ago, Pa Hockey said:

I will not acknowledge jealous character assassination of college students - What a shame!

Happy Holidays Everyone 

When I was talking about seniors, I was generalizing - it doesn’t make any sense to transfer going into your senior year for club hockey.  I don’t know what grade your kid is. I was making the point your claim of all the transfers was false and in general agreeing with what SRU did after all the facts came out. The program was like the old airport ice arena beer league - strippers & all.

trust me buddy, I’m not jealous of you in anyway at all. You are the historian book writer, you should put out the truth, not spin it for your own ego. Again it’s ACHA M1. 

• Dislike 1

23 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

trust me buddy, I’m not jealous of you in anyway at all. You are the historian book writer, you should put out the truth, not spin it for your own ego. Again it’s ACHA M1. 

I have heard stories about those Airport tournaments!

It's been years since I was involved, and you are technically right about ACHA M1...However, way back before there were women's teams in the ACHA, they were officially referred to as divisions and therefore D1, D2, and D3. This is years ago since I was involved, so yes, I'm sure you're right the names changed, but there are probably other older people like me still saying D1. This link is to the ACHA website from 2005 - notice they say D1:

http://www.itsportsnet.com/league.php?scriptName=HOME&leagueID=7700

• Like 2