slippery rock suspends hockey team

1 hour ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

I have heard stories about those Airport tournaments!

It's been years since I was involved, and you are technically right about ACHA M1...However, way back before there were women's teams in the ACHA, they were officially referred to as divisions and therefore D1, D2, and D3. This is years ago since I was involved, so yes, I'm sure you're right the names changed, but there are probably other older people like me still saying D1. This link is to the ACHA website from 2005 - notice they say D1:

http://www.itsportsnet.com/league.php?scriptName=HOME&leagueID=7700

The airport beer league was insane! Half the people didn’t even goto play, they went for the party. The rink would shut down to the public after the last game, they would party all night! You would have guys driving 2-3 hours from Ohio and upstate NY to attend those parties! 

I don’t know when the acha naming change happened, but as long as I’ve followed it (10 years give or take) it’s always been M. I would guess since NCAA hockey has grown so much since the 80’s & 90’s, the NCAA probably had something to do with it, possibly to distance itself from club hockey. When I hear a parent say “my kid is playing d1 at X college” - what I hear is “my kid plays AAA hockey at the predators” or “my kid plays junior hockey” when it’s tier 3. Same parent mentality, you probably get my drift here. 

I’m not bashing club hockey at all. Some of it is very good hockey. Some acha teams can and do knock around ncaa d3 teams (some ncaa D3 programs are a complete joke, bad hockey - the team is just a school recruiting tool to get the wealthy parent to pay for a title) The top acha programs treat their student players like ncaa athletes. It’s great to keep kids involved in the game, helps to keep them focused more at college, possibly out of trouble etc. If you didn’t notice the post, I’m trying to get two corporations to donate towards a scholarship fund for the Cal U acha program, a program I don’t know one single person involved with. It’s a tragedy what happened, it’s great the school wants to honor the young man, along with the club sport. Personally I think some of these bigger companies donating big money to the RMU NCAA fund should get involved in the situation with Cal U and club hockey In general. but a lot of the people involved with the RMU donations have an agenda to begin with. RMU is a private university, they have the endowment, funds and alumni to reinstate that team if they really wanted to. It really never had to go away.  I guess in a sense they are forcing some of their alumni to put up the money. Don’t send your kid to rmu people. 

sorry rambling on, showing my age again.

Edited by Danner27

33 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

The airport beer league was insane! Half the people didn’t even goto play, they went for the party. The rink would shut down to the public after the last game, they would party all night! You would have guys driving 2-3 hours from Ohio and upstate NY to attend those parties! 

I don’t know when the acha naming change happened, but as long as I’ve followed it (10 years give or take) it’s always been M. I would guess since NCAA hockey has grown so much since the 80’s & 90’s, the NCAA probably had something to do with it, possibly to distance itself from club hockey. When I hear a parent say “my kid is playing d1 at X college” - what I hear is “my kid plays AAA hockey at the predators” or “my kid plays junior hockey” when it’s tier 3. Same parent mentality, you probably get my drift here. 

I’m not bashing club hockey at all. Some of it is very good hockey. Some acha teams can and do knock around ncaa d3 teams (some ncaa D3 programs are a complete joke, bad hockey - the team is just a school recruiting tool to get the wealthy parent to pay for a title) The top acha programs treat their student players like ncaa athletes. It’s great to keep kids involved in the game, helps to keep them focused more at college, possibly out of trouble etc. If you didn’t notice the post, I’m trying to get two corporations to donate towards a scholarship fund for the Cal U acha program, a program I don’t know one single person involved with. It’s a tragedy what happened, it’s great the school wants to honor the young man, along with the club sport. Personally I think some of these bigger companies donating big money to the RMU NCAA fund should get involved in the situation with Cal U and club hockey In general. but a lot of the people involved with the RMU donations have an agenda to begin with. RMU is a private university, they have the endowment, funds and alumni to reinstate that team if they really wanted to. It really never had to go away.  I guess in a sense they are forcing some of their alumni to put up the money. Don’t send your kid to rmu people. 

sorry rambling on, showing my age again.

I did see your post about the Cal U tragedy and I do hope you get something to them. That is really nice of you to do.

I think the transition to ACHA "M" was gradual. I think I'm just old too and can't learn new things!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

I did see your post about the Cal U tragedy and I do hope you get something to them. That is really nice of you to do.

I think the transition to ACHA "M" was gradual. I think I'm just old too and can't learn new things!

Getting old sucks :(