slippery rock suspends hockey team

1 hour ago, Hockeyfan00 said:

Slippery Rock University announced today that they suspended the hockey club for 4 years due to a complaint. Does anyone know what happened ? 

Where did they announce that?  Pretty interesting in that they are a Club Sport.  While they use the school name they don't get much funding.  They haven't even started to play this year as I believe the ACHA isn't playing till the spring.  

18 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Where did they announce that?  Pretty interesting in that they are a Club Sport.  While they use the school name they don't get much funding.  They haven't even started to play this year as I believe the ACHA isn't playing till the spring.  

http://burghhockey.com/slippery-rock-suspends-mens-hockey-future-program-uncertain/?fbclid=IwAR3E-YAcnE_a68X_WHGhoUkEKMUIhlt_KVOUPUN6OQmOxCcYx5ngtNL_nK0

19 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

They probably would get blackballed by the ACHA if they tried to participate without being officially allowed by SRU. Also would likely have trouble with getting grades, enrollment info, and whatever else the ACHA would want. But beyond that, they could probably put together a men's league team or something. I wonder if Cal and IUP will benefit from the team being gone.

I think Cal is just D3 and IUP has a D1 and D3 program. WVU has D1 and D2. Fun fact there’s a D4 and 5 in the CHE. I give them credit because they’re making kids dreams come true in a way by getting to play college hockey. Maybe kids will transfer from SRU to Cal/IUP that want to play hockey. Anyways I heard hazing was the reason also.

Hazing was never anything but a reason for meatballs to get their rocks off, and dopamine hits, from the embarrassment of others. It always was a stupid practice, it still is a stupid practice. It is truly nothing but bullying under the guise of shenanigans. 

Even making someone carry water bottles is stupid. Why don’t you all take turns and all pick up pucks - that’s real team building. 

Teach your kids to lift others up. 

Edited by ctil20
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, ctil20 said:

Hazing was never anything but a reason for meatballs to get their rocks off, and dopamine hits, from the embarrassment of others. It always was a stupid practice, it still is a stupid practice. It is truly nothing but bullying under the guise of shenanigans. 

Even making someone carry water bottles is stupid. Why don’t you all take turns and all pick up pucks - that’s real team building. 

Teach your kids to lift others up. 

While I agree with you, I still don't think carrying water bottles or picking up pucks is hazing. 

9 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

Four years of no program is as close to a modern day death penalty can get and it will be very difficult to resuscitate after being dormant for so long.  

Can you imagine being one of the freshman victims of the hazing suddenly without a program to play for?

How about charging the bullies with harassment? Fire the coaches. Like mentioned above, suspending the program 4 years does nothing but take away opportunity for innocent people.

On the topic of picking up pucks, carrying water bottles, etc. - everyone should be doing it. As a coach, the whole team would be doing these things. Nobody being singled out. A real Captain wouldn't allow it, either. 

• Fist Bump 1

Not the only sport, but hockey has had a bad history with hazing. I got pretty lucky with the teams I was on when I was younger but some of my buddies went through some horrific things. I don't know specifics here but if you don't clamp down, it spirals out of control and gets worse as each year tries to out-do the one before.

That said, I do not have an issue with rookies picking up pucks, carrying water bottles - I don't consider that hazing.  Being forced to do something you would never do voluntarily in public is hazing. I don't consider picking up pucks embarrassing, someone has to do it.

2 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

Picking up pucks is hazing? Anyone who believes that should melt away with the rest of the snowflakes from last week.

How about teach them to have the respect for the upperclassmen and offer to pick them up?

Upper classmen... this is a fairytale. A 16 year old is supposed to “respect” an 18 year old because the 18 year old is two years older? 

Give me a break. Respect for seniority is applicable in honorary settings such as the military. Not fucking hockey, or youth sports in general. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nemesis8679 said:

How about charging the bullies with harassment? Fire the coaches. Like mentioned above, suspending the program 4 years does nothing but take away opportunity for innocent people.

On the topic of picking up pucks, carrying water bottles, etc. - everyone should be doing it. As a coach, the whole team would be doing these things. Nobody being singled out. A real Captain wouldn't allow it, either. 

Exactly.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

Picking up pucks is hazing? Anyone who believes that should melt away with the rest of the snowflakes from last week.

How about teach them to have the respect for the upperclassmen and offer to pick them up?

What respect for "upperclassmen"? 

Why would that even be a thing? 

Not completely knowing the hazing facts makes it hard to to judge but what I’ve heard the hazing incident happened at a party not during any hockey time. This is hearsay from a kid we know who is a freshman and chose slippery rock so he could play hockey, he stressed to us that he himself doesn’t know all the facts, it’s what he was told by the older players, the party involved a frat the school has not been happy with, one that the school have been wanting to remove. Again, this could be wrong, he’s only a freshman this year but I suspect the older players have a good idea so maybe it’s not to far off. Kids will always twist the story a little their favor. 

four years sounds ridiculous. That will be the end of that program. It sure does sound like the school was after a frat or the hockey program, whom ever made this judgement at the school clearly wanted hockey and whomever they are associated with gone. 

2 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

four years sounds ridiculous. That will be the end of that program. It sure does sound like the school was after a frat or the hockey program, whom ever made this judgement at the school clearly wanted hockey and whomever they are associated with gone. 

It seems to me that that's the intent. It was certainly intended that nobody currently playing there would be playing there when the program was reinstated, right?

As for carrying bottles and picking up pucks - I make my midget team do that as a group, but that certainly doesn't rise to any sort of actionable level of hazing in my mind, perhaps simply because it's so prevalent. As someone said above, it seems to me that this is exactly the sort of thing that I'd expect the Captains to take the lead on, and everyone to participate in. In other words, I expect the exact opposite of making the rookies do it. 

Having said that, I think that everyone should do it together, and I would never permit my players to make the "rookies" do it, but it just isn't that awful a thing, either.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ctil20 said:

Upper classmen... this is a fairytale. A 16 year old is supposed to “respect” an 18 year old because the 18 year old is two years older? 

Give me a break. Respect for seniority is applicable in honorary settings such as the military. Not fucking hockey, or youth sports in general. 

Honestly, this is a the college culture in general. Personally I think your comment is out of line a bit. Picking up pucks has always been a “rookie” thing from juniors down to varsity hockey. I see nothing wrong with it. When I was a kid playing pony baseball around the late 70’s early 80s I had to pick up the bats after practice. It’s the pecking order of life, we all see it in our careers as adults in some manner.