slippery rock suspends hockey team

There has to be a whole lot more to this story than what we have heard so far.  If what we have heard is all there is I would believe that every team and every Frat at Slippery Rock will suffer the same fate.  For the most part they are telling future Students they are not interested in having a Hockey program.  It is time for the new recruits to decide if they want to stay at SRU for the education or go somewhere else and get the same education plus be able to play Hockey.  In the long run SRU is not worried about Hockey.  To effectively get the death penalty I would have to believe that we should be hearing about some criminal charges associated with this.  Unless of course the school doesn't care about Hockey and wants to set an example for the other programs. After all its "Only a Club Sport" in their minds. not for the kids who pay to play and practice.

What they don't realize is that they WILL lose students over this and in this economic environment for colleges, they probably are on a razor thin margin right now. Especially as a State school.

Someone mentioned on a thread about the ACHA D4 and D5 divisions. RMU started their D4 team last season simply for the promise of getting roughly 20-25 students to enroll and play. 20 kids at 45K is an additional 900,00 in revenue for the school and since it's pay to play it benefits them by collecting the ice costs on the back end as well.

33 minutes ago, BeaverFalls said:

https://www.sru.edu/documents/offices/student-conduct/hazing_report.pdf

Some of their suspensions of other organizations appear to be fairly heavy handed so possibly it’s not just because they don’t like hockey. 

Agreed, But isn't it interesting that there is just one case with NCAA sports. I find that hard to believe.  No question they seem to be heavy handed when it comes to club sports and Greek life.  Judging from the fact that Hockey had a previous report it's not I guess it's not surprising what they did compared to the other sanctions of organizations

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Agreed, But isn't it interesting that there is just one case with NCAA sports. I find that hard to believe.  No question they seem to be heavy handed when it comes to club sports and Greek life.  Judging from the fact that Hockey had a previous report it's not I guess it's not surprising what they did compared to the other sanctions of organizations

I looked up about a dozen other schools reports in the western/central PA area of similar size. Most (but not all) of them either had very few reports or very minor offenses.  It could be the school thinks they have a discipline problem campus wise. Idk. 

Obviously NCAA talks when it comes to money.  Who knows at this point. Sucks for the kids who were there and not involved. 

34 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

The other thing I noticed is I believe they hammered some other club sports a few years prior. It could be because they already set a precedent with those decisions as well. 

23 minutes ago, sutton said:

There really isn't more than that.  The report is making its rounds through the community.  Main issues were confirmed underage drinking through player interviews, and the rookie party issues.

It is ? Where did you get the report Sutton ? 

1 hour ago, sadday4hockey said:

What they don't realize is that they WILL lose students over this and in this economic environment for colleges, they probably are on a razor thin margin right now. Especially as a State school.

It's more likely that it's more important to them to make an example of the students involved than it is to worry about students not coming to the school. I'm not sure what you're saying there about the razor thin margin. What does that matter to a state-owned and operated school? Slippery Rock is not, nor will it ever be, hurting for students.

And honestly I'm not sure why these actions would cause them to lose students, unless you mean the 25 or so a year who would've played hockey for the school.

5 minutes ago, sutton said:

I don't know if there are any legal ramifications of posting it, so I'm not going to nor say where I saw it.  I don't know if the report was meant to be public, though I would assume it is since it was sent out to numerous individuals.

The report is not available to the public and I would recommend staying out of it ........I'm curious that you seem to know who the player is ? 

Edited by Pa Hockey

18 hours ago, sutton said:

This happened for a myriad of reasons, hazing/rookie party/making rookies pick up pucks.  It was reported by a transferring player on the way out the door.  Originally set for 2 years, was pushed to 4 years after appeal.  In the summary it states that the program has to abide by all items set forth in the suspension and the team can resume in 2024, with no players currently involved in the program (and I would assume staff?).  

Really incredible that the suspension was actually double upon appeal, seems really harsh.  What happened doesn't seem all that far fetched from what happens at every ACHA school I'm sure, not saying at all that what happened was correct especially the underage drinking etc, but hell PIHL teams make certain players carry water and pick up pucks. 

This process started back before covid and was put on a delay for the shutdown, I am shocked it is just getting out now. 

Agreed that it sounds like someone on the way out, but as others have noted, there were other cases logged with student government and other fairly heavy handed suspensions. I'm guessing that the alcohol thing, including the "shoot the boot" thing, was kind considered a big deal. Again, as noted by other people, there have been deaths due to extreme amounts of drinking and subsequent legal issues generated from them at other colleges. I'm guessing SRU just doesn't want to deal with anything like that and taking a bit of a no-tolerance approach.

4 hours ago, Lifelongbender said:

It's more likely that it's more important to them to make an example of the students involved than it is to worry about students not coming to the school. I'm not sure what you're saying there about the razor thin margin. What does that matter to a state-owned and operated school? Slippery Rock is not, nor will it ever be, hurting for students.

And honestly I'm not sure why these actions would cause them to lose students, unless you mean the 25 or so a year who would've played hockey for the school.

Slippery Rock and other State Schools are hurting for students.  It is mostly due to demographics.

https://www.mcall.com/news/pennsylvania/mc-nws-pa-state-colleges-20200716-uptvrbh3wrcnjf4oowfvlt2hqi-story.html

This, plus what is happening due to Covid, is a great example of why kids looking at colleges should not choose a school based on sports.  They should love the school first, and the sports is a kicker.

59 minutes ago, carroll81 said:

Slippery Rock and other State Schools are hurting for students.  It is mostly due to demographics.

https://www.mcall.com/news/pennsylvania/mc-nws-pa-state-colleges-20200716-uptvrbh3wrcnjf4oowfvlt2hqi-story.html

This, plus what is happening due to Covid, is a great example of why kids looking at colleges should not choose a school based on sports.  They should love the school first, and the sports is a kicker.

It's a shame that such advice is necessary. It's hard to convince young people to prioritize accordingly when we prop up athletes higher than the many in professions that protect us and save lives. We, as parents, often go to such great lengths to make sure our kids are better hockey players while shrugging off any struggles they are having academically. It's the wrong message. I wonder if SRU was RPI. I kind of doubt the same offenses would result in such punishment. It's mostly about the money when it comes to consequences. Death penalty for the little guys and a slap on the wrist for the big guys. Penn State Football didn't get anything close to this for one of the worst systematic offenses in history.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, carroll81 said:

That article was interesting, and I'd seen the merger plans before, except that it seems to explicitly state that Slippery Rock isn't suffering for students as much as the other schools. I'll concede this point though - it's not really part of my argument, anyway, about this, although I may have been wrong when I made that statement.

Regarding your last paragraph, if you are an athlete hoping to continue your playing career, sports are a critical part of choosing a college. While this doesn't happen for hockey players a whole lot anywhere, and certainly not at schools where hockey is a club sport, obviously scholarships are a part of the equation for some players. You can bet that the guys who were playing for Slippery Rock probably would've taken a Big 10 (or whatever other conference) placement if they had been recruited for it. Why wouldn't they? It's just not realistic to suppose that players won't go to a school where they can play, if that's important to them. Choosing a school for that reason is perfectly rational if continuing to play is important to you. 

None of this may apply to many of those guys, who may have been Slippery Rock bound no matter what, and simply decided to play club hockey on top of that. Most kids aren't being recruited for college hockey, and for them a good club program is probably attractive as part of a college's total package. Again, that's a perfectly rational thing for those who want to play.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lifelongbender said:

That article was interesting, and I'd seen the merger plans before, except that it seems to explicitly state that Slippery Rock isn't suffering for students as much as the other schools. I'll concede this point though - it's not really part of my argument, anyway, about this, although I may have been wrong when I made that statement.

Regarding your last paragraph, if you are an athlete hoping to continue your playing career, sports are a critical part of choosing a college. While this doesn't happen for hockey players a whole lot anywhere, and certainly not at schools where hockey is a club sport, obviously scholarships are a part of the equation for some players. You can bet that the guys who were playing for Slippery Rock probably would've taken a Big 10 (or whatever other conference) placement if they had been recruited for it. Why wouldn't they? It's just not realistic to suppose that players won't go to a school where they can play, if that's important to them. Choosing a school for that reason is perfectly rational if continuing to play is important to you. 

None of this may apply to many of those guys, who may have been Slippery Rock bound no matter what, and simply decided to play club hockey on top of that. Most kids aren't being recruited for college hockey, and for them a good club program is probably attractive as part of a college's total package. Again, that's a perfectly rational thing for those who want to play.

Yes, sports could be part of the decision.  But, if you choose your school using sports as your priority, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.  What happens when you get hurt, get cut, the school drops the sport, or there is a pandemic.  Every college coach that is worth their job will tell you the same thing. 

All roads lead to men's league.

Edited by carroll81
  • Fist Bump 1

11 hours ago, carroll81 said:

Yes, sports could be part of the decision.  But, if you choose your school using sports as your priority, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.  What happens when you get hurt, get cut, the school drops the sport, or there is a pandemic.  Every college coach that is worth their job will tell you the same thing. 

Especially making decisions based on acha hockey. 

16 hours ago, carroll81 said:

I tell my kids that all the time - you play for the love of the game, for your teammates. 

The ultimate goal is beers in the locker room after the game. I'm well over 40 and I still play a couple times a week (when the leagues are going, anyway).

2 hours ago, Lifelongbender said:

I tell my kids that all the time - you play for the love of the game, for your teammates. 

The ultimate goal is beers in the locker room after the game. I'm well over 40 and I still play a couple times a week (when the leagues are going, anyway).

Yeah it's apparent by first year squirts if your kids just don't have what it takes to make the NHL.