Center Ice sold to Black Bear Sports

21 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

Good news/bad news. Keeps the rink under stable ownership. If they jack up ice rates like they did at Southpointe, the players families are the ones that end up paying the price.

Post a link to the source article on this please.

Who is BBS??

7 minutes ago, Saucey said:

From link above:

Black Bear focuses on clusters of rinks in its target markets across the Mid-Atlantic and Midwest.  Clustering its rinks provides for optimal management and programming.

Working on their cluster I guess.

That's a real shame that a privately owned rink is selling off, but I totally get it.

16 minutes ago, Saucey said:

From link above:

Black Bear focuses on clusters of rinks in its target markets across the Mid-Atlantic and Midwest.  Clustering its rinks provides for optimal management and programming.

Working on their cluster I guess.

It will likely be a cluster in the future for sure.

We'll be gone from youth hockey by then so it doesn't make a difference to me.

Given that Center Ice had just renovated, put new ice in all sheets, expanded their parking lot and was adding outdoor Lacrosse, I do find it interesting timing. But this COVID likely will cause multiple rinks to sell off.

• Like 1

They have been buying rink here in the East pretty regularly.  They recently joined other rinks that operate the teams in their rinks to form their own league.   I've seen this business model in other sports and it is very effective - for the rink owners.

http://www.blackbearsportsgroup.com/news/black-bear-sports-group-partners-with-ice-arena-owners-to-form-the-atlantic-hockey-federation

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 2:58 PM, dazedandconfused said:

It was confirmed on January 24th when I posted it. See, Wes. You shouldn't doubt my intel sources.

I just wanted to read a story about it, that's all.  I haven't seen any public story but I have overheard AHA parents discussing it.

Per a contact a Center Ice - "All PAHL and PIHL games will take place as normal, including 8U jams. Just this HockeyTime Tournament was cancelled. Expect to be required to submit roster and guardian list prior to game time and to have ID's and temperatures checked at entry."