Pittsburgh Ice Kings

On 2/12/2021 at 10:20 AM, Wes said:

That's great to hear that Southpointe is opening the second sheet of ice.  

I really like that rink.

First visited there in the 80's to watch pens training camps.

Probably was the 1990s, since that rink was built in 1995. Pens held training camp at Mt Lebanon and maybe Rostraver in the 1980s. The rumor was that they had ice making equipment on the sport court side at Iceoplex but never turned it on. I can't imagine it would still work after 25 years though.

2 hours ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

Probably was the 1990s, since that rink was built in 1995. Pens held training camp at Mt Lebanon and maybe Rostraver in the 1980s. The rumor was that they had ice making equipment on the sport court side at Iceoplex but never turned it on. I can't imagine it would still work after 25 years though.

Off Topic, but I went to Mario's very first Pens practice at Mt. Lebanon.  That was a really cool experience.  

When the Pens practiced at Southpointe, all the big wigs would sit in the restaurant along the glass and watch practice.

On 2/7/2021 at 11:17 AM, forbin said:

What’s the consensus on the Ice Kings spring program? 

So if you want someone that hold the kids accountable he is for you. If you cant handle your child being disiplined then Probably not for you. Some parents think they know best and just cant handle their little "superstar" being held accountable.  God for bid my kid did something wrong and he was held accountable.. sometimes he does things unconventional and some dissagree with that so they trash him.. to each their own.  I've seen 1st hand what he has done with kids and parents that are willing to buy in and learn.  But some just refuse and blame others for their issuse.. common in today's society.  Is he a salesman? Of course he is, it's his job and his livelyhood, as is every other paid coach/team/spring program.  They all as are salesman.  But he is worth my money.  I dont give a crap what his background is, what he played, or what he did off ice.. I care about my kids progress and learning and development on ice.  And he is one of the best I've delt with for that.  He knows how to get everything out of every kid willing to work and learn. That to me is priceless..  only way to decide on anything in today's society is give it a go yourself, you will always have good nd bad reviews, they only review that matters is your own experience.. goodluck with whatever you decide. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Poop 1

17 hours ago, rock said:

So if you want someone that hold the kids accountable he is for you. If you cant handle your child being disiplined then Probably not for you. Some parents think they know best and just cant handle their little "superstar" being held accountable.  God for bid my kid did something wrong and he was held accountable.. sometimes he does things unconventional and some dissagree with that so they trash him.. to each their own.  I've seen 1st hand what he has done with kids and parents that are willing to buy in and learn.  But some just refuse and blame others for their issuse.. common in today's society.  Is he a salesman? Of course he is, it's his job and his livelyhood, as is every other paid coach/team/spring program.  They all as are salesman.  But he is worth my money.  I dont give a crap what his background is, what he played, or what he did off ice.. I care about my kids progress and learning and development on ice.  And he is one of the best I've delt with for that.  He knows how to get everything out of every kid willing to work and learn. That to me is priceless..  only way to decide on anything in today's society is give it a go yourself, you will always have good nd bad reviews, they only review that matters is your own experience.. goodluck with whatever you decide. 

Sounds like you wouldn't have any problems with Chico Adrahtas coaching your kid, then. 

13 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

How did you come up with that based on what Rock said?  Who are you accusing of sexual misconduct? Better get your facts straight and not hide behind a forum!

I'll be honest. I thought the same thing as nemesis when I read the comment "I don't give a crap what his background is, or what he did off the ice". Probably not the most well thought out comment. 

I happen to know this person for some time now and nothing he did is even in the same ballpark as this monster Chico.

• Like 1
  • ROTF 1

13 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

How did you come up with that based on what Rock said?  Who are you accusing of sexual misconduct? Better get your facts straight and not hide behind a forum!

Not accusing anyone of sex crimes. Or anything else. I just wouldn't make a blanket statement about not caring what a coach does off the ice. That's pretty much how not-so-good people remain coaching kids. Sex perverts, crooks, drug abusers, frauds, you name it. I don't know what the coach in question has or has not done, and really don't care. Just saying maybe people should care a little more about how people act off the ice, is all. Nothing further to read into than that. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

Not accusing anyone of sex crimes. Or anything else. I just wouldn't make a blanket statement about not caring what a coach does off the ice. That's pretty much how not-so-good people remain coaching kids. Sex perverts, crooks, drug abusers, frauds, you name it. I don't know what the coach in question has or has not done, and really don't care. Just saying maybe people should care a little more about how people act off the ice, is all. Nothing further to read into than that. 

Thanks for the clarification. Just don't want to see what you wrote targeted at a particular coach or coaches without any facts.

5 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

Obviously issues that you describe I care about.  None of which he has been involved in. I was referring to his soccer/athletic background, career or other aspectsbof his life that people think dont make him a good coach.  Most likely they have never had him as a coach or again cant handle their kid being disiplined.. by missing a shift or extra skating. Or other non abuse reprecutions.  Obviously I care about a coaches bacbackground as to you describe. I thought that would go without saying.  But I should know better with the folk in here that like to assume and take things to the extreme.. no one ever has any specific reasons to dislike him.  Other than hearsay or stories that they hear..  or disagreement with his punishments to there kid.. I just dont understand. I've dealt with him for many years and cant say a bad thing about him and my kids loved him as a coach.  They say he was ththe best coach they ever had. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 1:32 PM, hockeyisgreat said:

Thanks for the clarification. Just don't want to see what you wrote targeted at a particular coach or coaches without any facts.

It is helpful when parents ask around and find out why particular coaches were kicked out of organizations (such as Renegades banning him)-what safe sport violations if any were violated, etc. What happened with any parents from past teams etc.  Children look up to coaches and need positive role models. The majority of the kids from western PA and not going D1, not going to NHL.  Provide a positive role model for your son/daughter. This will get your child much farther in life. 

• Like 1
  • 100 1

3 hours ago, bender05 said:

It is helpful when parents ask around and find out why particular coaches were kicked out of organizations (such as Renegades banning him)-what safe sport violations if any were violated, etc. What happened with any parents from past teams etc.  Children look up to coaches and need positive role models. The majority of the kids from western PA and not going D1, not going to NHL.  Provide a positive role model for your son/daughter. This will get your child much farther in life. 

Why was he banned from Renegades? 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, bender05 said:

Are safesport violations public record?  If not, why not?

Edited by aaaahockey
Incomplete sentence

I have no affiliation with the guy but say what you want about coaching or an incident that has happened between a coach and player... if applicable. 

The other stuff... no business calling out someone’s personal life like that, especially when it’s a family dynamic and a kid is involved. Let’s not act like we’ve all navigated life with perfection either. I don’t know the details, who was wrong, but that kind of shit really doesn’t have a place on this board.

Edited by ctil20
  • Like 2