Pittsburgh Ice Kings

http://www.pittsburghicearena.com/ice-kings/

I’m not familiar with the program. Obviously Yuri and Posey have experience, coach(Ed) at high levels and reputations on this board. Neither I know personally. 

Like anything else, it is a business. If your kid wants to play and you have the money to afford it, go for it. Keep your expectations low and you won’t be disappointed. (Also same advice for regular season hockey.)

These spring “AAA” programs are still around ? I remember when Posey had the outlaws. Nothing against the coaches, these programs are just summer ice sales. Put your own team together for half the price if your kiddo wants to play in the spring / summer - the tournaments will take anyone. 

12 hours ago, Danner27 said:

These spring “AAA” programs are still around ? I remember when Posey had the outlaws. Nothing against the coaches, these programs are just summer ice sales. Put your own team together for half the price if your kiddo wants to play in the spring / summer - the tournaments will take anyone. 

Just remember to fully vet any information that comes from Danner. A person proven on here to be full of crap regarding his own familial hockey backstory is not the person that you want to be taking advice from.

Speaking from experience with a spring team last year, I would say proceed with caution and take the “terms and conditions” very seriously. We aren’t out of the woods with this pandemic, so be prepared to not get what you paid for and/or lose money if you do sign up and they can’t deliver. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ynot02 said:

Speaking from experience with a spring team last year, I would say proceed with caution and take the “terms and conditions” very seriously.

I think this statement may have been in reference to NE. I heard from numerous people last year that NE was offering some less than desirable options in lieu of actual refunds.

3 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

I think this statement may have been in reference to NE. I heard from numerous people last year that NE was offering some less than desirable options in lieu of actual refunds.

Didn't I see National Elite has "combined forces" with TK for spring tournament teams this year or did I dream that?

48 minutes ago, bb2j3z said:

Just curious, what age group is your son @forbin?   My son is a 2011 squirt and we are also doing the TK/NE offering in spring.    We're live around Southpointe + also looking for ideas in spring/summer.    Right now we have that plus Quest summer league.

I have a 2009 and a 2013. My 2009 isn’t interested in doing summer hockey as he plays travel baseball and enjoys that much more. My 2013 is completely addicted to hockey and would be on the ice every single day if we could. We have tried so many other sports with him and he could care less. Yes, I realize it’s pretty ridiculous to be doing all of this for a soon to be 8 year old but trust me when I say it’s him driving the train here, I just pay for it. A lot of his teammates are doing the TK/NE thing. We also live very close to Southpointe but are not with the RinkRats. That might change soon though with the strong rumor of a second ice sheet coming there. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 11:33 AM, nemesis8679 said:

Not familiar with him. Is he a clown? 

We had a really bad experience with him in a summer tourney team years ago, during "tryouts".  That was in the past and I haven't said a word to him since, nor would I spend any money on a program that had his name on it. 

I've dealt with a lot of coaches over the years and there are only 2 that I won't ever deal with ever again, one was this dude and the other was A.L. who was also at the same rink.

Edited by Wes
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BeaverFalls said:

Also acceptable is having them play another sport or taking a break from competition in general. Wolves get more aggressive when they haven’t eaten in a while. 

Roller Hockey and Dek Hockey are really good alternatives for kids who really like hockey.

Lots of hockey kids also play Lacrosse.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, forbin said:

I have a 2009 and a 2013. My 2009 isn’t interested in doing summer hockey as he plays travel baseball and enjoys that much more. My 2013 is completely addicted to hockey and would be on the ice every single day if we could. We have tried so many other sports with him and he could care less. Yes, I realize it’s pretty ridiculous to be doing all of this for a soon to be 8 year old but trust me when I say it’s him driving the train here, I just pay for it. A lot of his teammates are doing the TK/NE thing. We also live very close to Southpointe but are not with the RinkRats. That might change soon though with the strong rumor of a second ice sheet coming there. 

Thanks, that sounds like my kid.   I was a little bummed when he didn't want to do baseball this year since they switched to kid pitch.    He likes hockey all the time.    We've been doing TK for about 2 years in various mini camps + just did the TK South team at Southpointe.   We've enjoyed doing it as a supplement to the PAHL season + the drills are challenging and varied.    I don't have any experience with IC Hockey (Ice Castle) or NE (Mount Lebanon).

Yeah, I've heard about the second sheet of ice...  I guess there is a new ownership group + a re-brand is being floated + they want to add the ice probably where the sport court is located.   I think it would be a great idea... it's very convenient for us plus it's a good location and nice building.

49 minutes ago, bb2j3z said:

Thanks, that sounds like my kid.   I was a little bummed when he didn't want to do baseball this year since they switched to kid pitch.    He likes hockey all the time.    We've been doing TK for about 2 years in various mini camps + just did the TK South team at Southpointe.   We've enjoyed doing it as a supplement to the PAHL season + the drills are challenging and varied.    I don't have any experience with IC Hockey (Ice Castle) or NE (Mount Lebanon).

Yeah, I've heard about the second sheet of ice...  I guess there is a new ownership group + a re-brand is being floated + they want to add the ice probably where the sport court is located.   I think it would be a great idea... it's very convenient for us plus it's a good location and nice building.

My 2013 has done skates with TK, NE, and Tyler at IC. Enjoyed them all. They all have their benefits for sure. We may end up doing the TK/NE thing as the practices will be at Mt. Lebo which is closer than PICE. 

Not to completely derail this thread but my very reliable source at printscape has told me that the deal for a second sheet is 95% done. Printscape's sponsorship is up in a couple of months and they hope to have a second sheet up and running by October 2021. We will see. That would be a game changer though for the rink rats/canon mac/ peters etc. Not to mention its always good to have more ice in WPA!

Edited by forbin
spelling