Huskies and Preds 18U #$%@ Show

15 minutes ago, dropthepuck said:

It happened on USA rink around 11;30am. Renegades vs Montgomery. Not sure of age. maybe 14's. You can check it out on live barn. Refs were separating players and behind the group you can see player fall down. Someone claimed he was assaulted and called the police.

Thanks - that was the16U A Final between the Renegades 16U and Montgomery 15U teams.  Looked at it on LB...can't really tell exactly what happens due to players in the way.  Looks like the ref was pushing, pulling players out of the scrum to separate them and someone fell.

12 minutes ago, sarampage said:

Thanks - that was the16U A Final between the Renegades 16U and Montgomery 15U teams.  Looked at it on LB...can't really tell exactly what happens due to players in the way.  Looks like the ref was pushing, pulling players out of the scrum to separate them and someone fell.

Yeah, that sure seems like what the original poster was saying happened. 

Wes.
Hmmm, I thought it looked like he was hurt. I personally don't totally agree with the "zero tolerance" on profanity... I mean, it you aren't MF-ing me, my partner, or another player - and not yelling so everyone hears it - then maybe sometimes you should let it slide. I mean I've skated midget, JR's and College games where I literally just told the player to shut up, get his head out of his ass and get back into the game. The higher the skill level, the more accepted it is to do that (or it used to be), but if you do it then they really gotta earn a deuce or dime for running their mouth. But this day and age you cannot use judgement or common sense, everything has to be absolute black and white zero tolerance. Some things are black and white, some things are looked at that way but maybe should not be.... The player definitely deserved penalties for his outburst once he was in the box, but maybe the better course would have been to ignore his comment on the ice (let him blow off steam, he's hurting and needs to lash out and someone), or just ask him to watch his mouth and take him over go get his finger looked at. Let him vent a little at the striped shirt on the way and try to defuse the time bomb.

I've been out of it for a couple years but there used to be grass roots mentoring.... It kinda depended on the rink, the local scheduler, and what the local senior officials were like. Most of the guys I  worked with would go out of their way to help a fellow official improve. As for the USAH process, it was never "penal" and was never designed to be that way. They would review the game with the official - all of it, the good and bad. They would usually pick one or two areas to emphasize and ask the official to improve on. I have seen supervisors and evaluators rip someone a new asshole... as things got more and more politically correct, well that happend less often (just like it became abusive for a coach to raise your voice and reprimand a player in practice). Anyway, It is up to the official to self review and work to improve - always was and always will be. I seem to want to say something about horsesd and water..... Some officials seek out and soak up any advice given and others just want to know when the checks would be mailed. I will say that there is one hell of lot more feedback available to officials now than when I first started.....

I'm not gonna air dirty laundry as far as sanctioning officials. Over the years there were occasions that officials got sanctioned but it was never something that was published to the general public. If your performance soiled the sheets too often, or you got a bad rep, the word got around. Schedulers just would not assign games to the guys that were habitually a problem and they either straightened up or quit. The system was to an extent self correcting way back when. Unfortunately, IMHO you have the an attitude problem across the board with the kids and the young adults in general these days. It's not a hockey issue, it's a society issue.

For someone actually wanting to learn and become a good official, It's all on the job training.... It used to be that your performance earned you better games. Now, I suspect that having a pulse does the same. Now a days, folks have a different attitude towards the sport (what can it give me rather than what can I give back) with a healthy disdain for those that laid the foundations ... that's as far as I'll go with it....

Yeah, they didn't do so great, but this game could be a good learning experience for these two... Hope someone talked to them or they at lease watched the video and self critiqued.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 10:02 AM, Wes said:

The game was out of hand way before the brawl with 2:30 left.

Halfway through the second period it was 42-2 in PIM and you could feel the anger building from the Huskies Parents (due to the lack of calls on preds and excessive calls on Huskies), the tension building in the players and the coaches.  I've been to a thousand youth hockey games and I've never witnessed a game where the PIM were like this 20 minutes into a game, where 99% of the calls were against 1 team.  All those calls were made by the ONE ref.

It wasn't until one of the Huskies coaches (not the HC) chirped the younger ref about all the penalties going one way, that the OLDER ref chimed in and called a few on the Preds the last few minutes of the second.  That coach got a 2 min. unsportsman like penalty but it obviously woke up the older ref and he called a few so the scoresheet wouldn't look so bad.

The fact of the matter there was something going on there with the younger ref and the Huskies.  

Right before the brawl the penalties were around 60-10.

When a ref singlehandedly calls 55+ of the 60 PIM and only ~4 PIM on the other team, it's going to cause hostility no matter what.  No way to avoid that.  Everyone on the one team is going to be boiling.

And at that point the players already know they've lost their FPP plus lost another FPP point, so who cares anymore about taking penalties.

This guy comes on here to trash tier 2 amateur hockey referees and he wonders why they aren’t getting the best guys on their games. ?

be happy anyone shows up to skate these gong shows. 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

On 2/13/2021 at 10:02 AM, Wes said:

The game was out of hand way before the brawl with 2:30 left.

Halfway through the second period it was 42-2 in PIM and you could feel the anger building from the Huskies Parents (due to the lack of calls on preds and excessive calls on Huskies), the tension building in the players and the coaches.  I've been to a thousand youth hockey games and I've never witnessed a game where the PIM were like this 20 minutes into a game, where 99% of the calls were against 1 team.  All those calls were made by the ONE ref.

It wasn't until one of the Huskies coaches (not the HC) chirped the younger ref about all the penalties going one way, that the OLDER ref chimed in and called a few on the Preds the last few minutes of the second.  That coach got a 2 min. unsportsman like penalty but it obviously woke up the older ref and he called a few so the scoresheet wouldn't look so bad.

The fact of the matter there was something going on there with the younger ref and the Huskies.  

Right before the brawl the penalties were around 60-10.

When a ref singlehandedly calls 55+ of the 60 PIM and only ~4 PIM on the other team, it's going to cause hostility no matter what.  No way to avoid that.  Everyone on the one team is going to be boiling.

And at that point the players already know they've lost their FPP plus lost another FPP point, so who cares anymore about taking penalties.

Blaming the undisciplined actions of the players, coaches & parents on the referees. Lol. ?

• Angry 1

Responsibility for controlling stupidity on the ice chart.

Player - has the ultimate control but has to be educated

Parent - responsible for educating the player and holding them accountable and not for absolving them of blame

Coach - same as parent but has the ability to keep them off the ice when stupidity looms

Refs - last line of defense, can still educate but when necessary must remove players acting stupid from the game

• Like 4

SadDay4Hockey you passed the exam! THANK YOU! I really wish there were more like you to shout down the mobs with the torches and pitchforks..... 

Everyone on that list has to do their part. Sometimes - and I do mean sometimes - a really good ref can keep the lid on a shit show when the first 3 fail in keeping up their end. Then again, some games are preordained to be a shit show no matter who is wearing the bands.

Edited by GrumpyOldPucker
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, GrumpyOldPucker said:

SadDay4Hockey you passed the exam! THANK YOU! I really wish there were more like you to shout down the mobs with the torches and pitchforks..... 

Everyone on that list has to do their part. Sometimes - and I do mean sometimes - a really good ref can keep the lid on a shit show when the first 3 fail in keeping up their end. Then again, some games are preordained to be a shit show no matter who is wearing the bands.

I call them "mediocre days and bad nights".  Sometimes it is just what is going to happen.