District playoffs 2021

20 minutes ago, dazedandconfused said:

I've sat there and watched games played where not one person was in their viewing area for the entire game. Just a bunch of empty chairs. Sort of like the MidAm board........

Don't get me started on MidAm.  "The old boys club".  Impossible to volunteer for / get onto.  No fresh blood.  Blah.

14 minutes ago, Loach said:

PPE with a very narrow shootout victory (6th shooter) over Preds at 15O.

That whole division is very weak in the grand scheme of things since players locally are diluted over 4 teams.  Could actually be a contender if PPE didn't bring back the same core every year with the same results and truly took the best of the best, but that will never happen.

• ROTF 1

3 hours ago, PowerPlay said:

I think the E in PPE stands for "Excel" instead of "Elite" around 15U.

This 

6 hours ago, Loach said:

PPE with a very narrow shootout victory (6th shooter) over Preds at 15O.

This particular game is an indication of just how weak this birth year is in the Pittsburgh area. For some reason, the birth year lacks hockey IQ, speed, or any elite goal scorers. Both of these teams have 1 AAA line and the rest are players that could be swapped out for each other along with the other local “AAA” teams. 
there has never been a 2005 Pittsburgh team ranked in the top 10, even going back to squirts. 

• Like 1
  • 100 1

6 hours ago, HereWithPopcorn said:

That whole division is very weak in the grand scheme of things since players locally are diluted over 4 teams.  Could actually be a contender if PPE didn't bring back the same core every year with the same results and truly took the best of the best, but that will never happen.

That’s not true.  There are only 6 skaters on the U15 who have been on the team since Pee Wee.  Even if the top 3 or 4 players from Esmark/Preds/Lebo replaced current players, it wouldn’t improve the team. There are strong birth years and weak birth years.  2005 is a weak birth year, mainly due to low registration data for that year dating back for several years 

• 100 1

9 hours ago, Theroadtobeerleague said:

That’s not true.  There are only 6 skaters on the U15 who have been on the team since Pee Wee.  Even if the top 3 or 4 players from Esmark/Preds/Lebo replaced current players, it wouldn’t improve the team. There are strong birth years and weak birth years.  2005 is a weak birth year, mainly due to low registration data for that year dating back for several years 

Interesting take on the situation.  Do you have an opinion as to the quality of 06 players in western pa.  Seems from the results that the PPE team is ahead of the other local teams. The Vengeance team is only in it's 2nd year of AAA and seems to be gaining ground.  The SHAHA team seems like a strong AAA team as well.  It's all very interesting.

3 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Interesting take on the situation.  Do you have an opinion as to the quality of 06 players in western pa.  Seems from the results that the PPE team is ahead of the other local teams. The Vengeance team is only in it's 2nd year of AAA and seems to be gaining ground.  The SHAHA team seems like a strong AAA team as well.  It's all very interesting.

2006:

2020-2021: 11th

19-20: 6th

18-19: 9th

17-18: 13th

2005:

20-21: 14th

19-20: 13th

18-19: 21st

17-18: 17th

2005 is a weak birth year, end of story.  The current team has more than 50% new players since 17-18 and has only improved slightly   Also remember that U15 Midget is starting to lose some kids (nationally) who start Prep hockey so it’s not as competitive 

Just now, Theroadtobeerleague said:

2006:

2005:

2005 is a weak birth year, end of story.  The current team has more than 50% new players since 17-18 and has only improved slightly   Also remember that U15 Midget is starting to lose some kids (nationally) who start Prep hockey so it’s not as competitive 

I bet if you compared Vengeance and SHAHA 2006 to Esmark and Preds 2005 you’d find the same thing. 

10 hours ago, Theroadtobeerleague said:

2006:

2005:

More evidence:

pens Elite 2005 just beat Mt Lebo 3-1, a #70-ranked team made up of ALL players who never played above AA before this season. Pens Elite at Nationals = Mt Lebo at Mid Ams....0-3 

56 minutes ago, Theroadtobeerleague said:

More evidence:

pens Elite 2005 just beat Mt Lebo 3-1, a #70-ranked team made up of ALL players who never played above AA before this season. Pens Elite at Nationals = Mt Lebo at Mid Ams....0-3 

don't forget the almighty Esmark u15's went 0-3 as well

3 hours ago, Wes said:

Can someone post an update on the 18uaaa bracket ASAP?  Thx

Top 2 teams in each division play tomorrow (Sunday) in the final.

16u - Pens vs Esmark - 10 am Chiller North 1

14u - Pens vs Cle Barons - 10:30 am Chiller North 2

18u - Pens vs Blue Jackets - Noon Chiller North 1

15O - Pens vs Blue Jackets - 12:30 Chiller North 2

For the 18u bracket, the order in the standings after 3 game round robin was: Pens, Blue Jackets, Esmark, Tri-State, Gilmour, Barons 

Edited by Loach

4 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

OK so I looked at the brackets. The round robin games are done. When do they play the finals?  Where are the game times?  Mid Am site is awful!

See my post above. Chiller North has livebarn.

1 hour ago, dazedandconfused said:

I've heard rumblings that Culver was playing games in Michigan and did not back out for any valid reason.

Now, what will the good old boys at MidAm do if this is true.

I know a family who has a kid on the 18s and a different family who has a kid on the 16s at Culver. They both were pretty devastated that they weren't able to play in the district tourney and mentioned that they had 3 covid+ players and 1 coach in the program. I have no idea if one team (16s) was the one affected and the 18s got caught up in the quarantine rule and did something else this past weekend instead. But I can verify that it was a covid-related reason and it wasn't something that they decided by choice.

Edit - I guess "verify" is too strong of a word to use here. I can just say that both families told me that it was covid-related and they both would rather have been playing than not. I don't really have details on whether it was Culver that decided to pull out, or if MidAm told them they couldn't play because of covid protocols.

Edited by Loach
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

Guess that puts the debate to rest who is the best hockey program around ?

as someone who doesn't live in PA, i find it fascinating to see the wildly contradictory takes on PPE.  One person will say they are the only real AAA program around and everyone else is just delusional parents paying for a third A, and then the next guys will say they are overrated and only take players for political reasons and cheat MHR by not reporting games, etc.

1 hour ago, champeen said:

as someone who doesn't live in PA, i find it fascinating to see the wildly contradictory takes on PPE.  One person will say they are the only real AAA program around and everyone else is just delusional parents paying for a third A, and then the next guys will say they are overrated and only take players for political reasons and cheat MHR by not reporting games, etc.

You are missing one point.  Yes they are the only real AAA team, and yes they are over rated. 

• Like 1

Wait a minute the 06 PPE beat the 06 Vengance?

Based on this tournament PPE is clearly the best option if you live in Pittsburgh.

Mt. Lebo would have been middle of the road in PAHL U16AA this year. 

PPE is no more political than any other organization.

I don't think many kids are leaving for national teams at U15.