Summer Camp recommendations

I did the Penn State camp when I was your son's age for 3 consecutive years.  It was excellent.  Assuming the curriculum is somewhat similar to what it was in the late 90s, but with the updated facilities/amenities, it's probably even better now.   Other comparable options are Kent State and Miami (OH).  

Edited by sample39
Typo
  • Like 1

If you want your son to attend a camp where he spends the week in a college dorm with a positive hockey experience, good food, camaraderie then Kent State is a good choice.  My oldest son attended this camp a few years ago and enjoyed it, but felt he did not improve his game very much and it was more about being away from home for a week and having fun.  If you want your son to take part in a more hockey centric camp, there are better choices out there.  

Yuri has a weekly camp at Baeirl that includes on  / off ice training and meals from a local Italian restaurant.  Yuri can be a ball buster, but if you want your son to attend a camp that is all about hockey at a competitive pace with skill development etc this may be for you.  http://www.interelhockeyacademy.com

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

If you want your son to attend a camp where he spends the week in a college dorm with a positive hockey experience, good food, camaraderie then Kent State is a good choice.  My oldest son attended this camp a few years ago and enjoyed it, but felt he did not improve his game very much and it was more about being away from home for a week and having fun.  If you want your son to take part in a more hockey centric camp, there are better choices out there.  

Yuri has a weekly camp at Baeirl that includes on  / off ice training and meals from a local Italian restaurant.  Yuri can be a ball buster, but if you want your son to attend a camp that is all about hockey at a competitive pace with skill development etc this may be for you. http://www.interelhockeyacademy.com

I think this is a good point - most of the away camps are going to be an incredibly fun experience but don't get your hopes up for crazy development in one week with a lot of kids. I'd say look at other development opportunities if that is your main concern such as private lessons or skills stuff. If it's about fun go with PSU or Kent State. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  He has done the Yuri camp the past 2 years.  He and some kids he knows decided on the Michigan camp.  Same price as PSU and an extra day.  I will keep the Kent St thing in mind.  He goes to Summers Best 2 Weeks already that's his fun kid camp every year.

On 1/18/2019 at 11:33 AM, jaybaileys said:

My son will be 13 in July and we are looking for a camp for the summer.  Anyone done the Penn St or U. of Michigan camp?  Any others within roughly that driving distance that your kids have really liked?

Our goldenhorseshoehockeyschool.org/ in St. Catharines Ontario is nothing like any camp your player has been to.  Located at the Seymour-Hannah Sports & Entertainment Centre, we use all 4 ice pads and the adjacent Kiwanis Field.  With a huge staff of coaches, staff, sponsors, NHL players, giveaways, it truly is an event.

DkMsbcSX0AIni7X.jpg

Located only 20 minutes from Niagara Falls, it is a family fun summer getaway.  Explore attractions and shopping around the St. Catharines and Niagara Falls area.  Shopping destinations include the Pen Centre and the Outlet Collection of Niagara.  Travel the Niagara Wine trail, or experience everything Niagara Falls, from the parks to the restaurants and everything in between.

Check out the video below from 2017 when the Minnesota Wild production staff traveled to our camp to run a feature story.

Be sure to check us out across all our social media, including Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for pics, videos and testimonials from all our previous camps.

https://twitter.com/GHHockeySchool/status/1025377718345588737

For any questions, email GoldenHorseshoeHS@yahoo.ca and mention you saw us on the WPA Hockey message board.

Hope to see you there,
- The GHHS Staff

• 1 month later...

We have done Yuri’s camps and love it. This is really well worth the investment! It’s challenging, competitive and fast pace. My boys really improved their skating and skills by doing Yuri’s camps. I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking to take their game to the next level. 

Www.interelhockeyacademy.com