U16 Vengance coming to Alpha?

7 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Yes they have had an 06 AAA

We are not having a discussion on the U14 AAA team that already exists.  This would be a new U16 AAA team. This would be an 05 team if you insist on looking at it that way.  

18 minutes ago, HSFBLJ said:

We are not having a discussion on the U14 AAA team that already exists.  This would be a new U16 AAA team. This would be an 05 team if you insist on looking at it that way.  

Gotcha, I haven't heard anything about an 05 team. When do they become eligible to play for the USPHL team?

2 hours ago, Saucey said:

Not enough 05s. Where would they come from?

There’s always an abundance of players to fill a team when an extra A is at stake so the parents can tell their friends their son plays AAA hockey. 

Trust me - if they field an 05 team there will be a line of kids at tryouts.   

• Haha 1
  • ROTF 1

3 hours ago, fafa fohi said:

There’s always an abundance of players to fill a team when an extra A is at stake so the parents can tell their friends their son plays AAA hockey. 

Trust me - if they field an 05 team there will be a line of kids at tryouts.   

just what we need another Aaa team in pgh. we must be the laughing stock of the county with the amount of so called Aaa teams in western Pa.

I don't understand what you guys are talking about.   4 of the top 6 15U teams in Mid Am came from Western PA.  2 from Ohio.  Puckcovid19 how does that make us the laughing stock of the country?  Why do you guys care if these teams want to be AAA?  Sounds like someone is bitter that their kid didn't make a team.

• 100 1

2 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

I don't understand what you guys are talking about.   4 of the top 6 15U teams in Mid Am came from Western PA.  2 from Ohio.  Puckcovid19 how does that make us the laughing stock of the country?  Why do you guys care if these teams want to be AAA?  Sounds like someone is bitter that their kid didn't make a team.

It's a legit question. 2005 was a low birth year. Few programs have been able to field AA teams full of 05 AA talent, let alone fill the slots of the three or four AAA teams floating around. The number playing at all keeps decreasing each year. So it's not that hard as a somewhat talented 05 player to make one of these teams. For that reason, I doubt anyone is 'butt hurt' for not making a team, because I think you could get on one if you wanted. So I want to know....where are they expected to materialize from? And sorry, being good in Mid Am, our small hockey market, doesn't somehow mean you are competing with the big boys.

I care in that, as I have said on this board over and over again, I think a parent's desire for the extra A does not make for a very good hockey market around here when the talent doesn't match the desire. Maybe those kids would have developed better sticking to AA (or A, a good number of them.) I challenge the idea that AAA develops a player better with all the 'extras' WHEN YOU ARE NOT AAA. Wasn't that the big complaint with the PPE black teams, that this was really a AA option with a very expensive AAA price tag?

But parents want it, and there is always someone out there willing to provide it.

• Like 1

Are the organizations or coaches getting rich over the extra A?  It doesn't look like these teams are embarrassing themselves in AAA. I don't understand the complaining. Is it that this area would be stronger in AA if there was only one AAA team?  Is it that we want to tell people how to spend their money?  Everyone knows that it's a one in a million chance to get to the NHL. Besides who should decide if a kid is AAA? Is there some set qualification to play AAA?

As of 2019-2020 USA hockey numbers there are 1,554 registered male players ages 15-16 in Western PA.

Lets say its an average roster size of 18 players on a team. That's roughly 86 teams. 

PPE and independent 'AAA" teams and at the 15O and 16U level make up roughly 10 of those teams.

180 legit AAA level kids out of 1,554 doesn't seem like a far stretch to me. 

Roughly 11% of players in the area at those ages. 

I don't see why there isn't room for having 4-6 AAA programs in this area.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

49 minutes ago, forbin said:

As of 2019-2020 USA hockey numbers there are 1,554 registered male players ages 15-16 in Western PA.

Lets say its an average roster size of 18 players on a team. That's roughly 86 teams. 

PPE and independent 'AAA" teams and at the 15O and 16U level make up roughly 10 of those teams.

I guess for me, to spend that money and time, I would want more than a four or five goal differential with PPE. It happens occasionally, with ONE other team in an age group. So I would allow one or two in the area.

5 hours ago, forbin said:

It;s not the numbers but the development. Our kids are sorely lacking in a lot of areas. They can skate and shoot with the best of them. It's the other things - hockey sense. Talk with the scouts from the USHL and NAHL and they will tell you the same thing. That's a reason you see so many kids tendered and then playing back in Pgh within weeks after the junior season starts. Look good but a step slow because they lack intangibles.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Denis Lemiuex said:

It;s not the numbers but the development. Our kids are sorely lacking in a lot of areas. They can skate and shoot with the best of them. It's the other things - hockey sense. Talk with the scouts from the USHL and NAHL and they will tell you the same thing. That's a reason you see so many kids tendered and then playing back in Pgh within weeks after the junior season starts. Look good but a step slow because they lack intangibles.

• So how do we fix it?  Better Coaches?  Are you saying it is Western Pa totally?  PPE kids included?  Is the goal for AAA players strictly to get to the next level? Or to face the best competition?

News flash. Lack of hockey sense is not isolated to Pittsburgh. It's a by-product of the ADM model along with an over-saturation of skills, skills and more skills. "Coaches" telling players exactly what to do on every drill and not allowing them any freedom to learn to read and react. Then they get in games and have to read and react and they are clueless. The scouts that you mention may say this about youth players, but they too are flawed as the college coaches say the same thing about the players in Juniors and pro scouts about players in college or high juniors.

The parents who chase their dream for their kids are willing to spend endless amounts of money for a skills session are the same ones who thumb their noses at $20 for a pick-up game where the kid might actually learn something on their own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sadday4hockey said:

News flash. Lack of hockey sense is not isolated to Pittsburgh. It's a by-product of the ADM model along with an over-saturation of skills, skills and more skills. "Coaches" telling players exactly what to do on every drill and not allowing them any freedom to learn to read and react. Then they get in games and have to read and react and they are clueless. The scouts that you mention may say this about youth players, but they too are flawed as the college coaches say the same thing about the players in Juniors and pro scouts about players in college or high juniors.

The parents who chase their dream for their kids are willing to spend endless amounts of money for a skills session are the same ones who thumb their noses at $20 for a pick-up game where the kid might actually learn something on their own.

I am 100% on board with what you are saying but also don't forget it's in hockeys interest to trump up how good the ADM model is (look even canada is copying us!) And eventually it will become the norm because there is too much $$$$ at stake to change course now. 

51 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

I am 100% on board with what you are saying but also don't forget it's in hockeys interest to trump up how good the ADM model is (look even canada is copying us!) And eventually it will become the norm because there is too much $$$$ at stake to change course now. 

So you guys are saying the ADM model is creating weaker hockey-minded players? So 6 year olds playing full ice is a better method?  

Not at all. At 8U, the model is spot on but the model does not only involve 8U. The ADM itself spans the whole life of an amateur player from 4 or 5 year olds to 18 year olds. The flaws are in the over-emphasis of skills and lack of emphasis on mental training for game play at 10U-14U. You end up with a lot of 16 year olds who have no clue how to play in a team unit type of scenario.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sadday4hockey said:

Not at all. At 8U, the model is spot on but the model does not only involve 8U. The ADM itself spans the whole life of an amateur player from 4 or 5 year olds to 18 year olds. The flaws are in the over-emphasis of skills and lack of emphasis on mental training for game play at 10U-14U. You end up with a lot of 16 year olds who have no clue how to play in a team unit type of scenario.

That's been going on a long time though, definitely predates the ADM model.