18uAA state bracket draw ???

Some "interesting" things regarding the 18uAA state playdowns.

Firstly, does anyone know that the midam allows host organzations to "make" the schedule for the tourneys?? (Yes!, they do!)

9 teams (this is roughly the standings in MHR) 

Preds IND

AHA

Indiana

SP

Armstrong

SHAHA

Huskies

Preds PAHL

SCIR

So how was this playdown implemented?

1, 4, 7 in a bracket, 2, 6, 9, and 3, 5, 8

Notice that the 1 team draws 4 & 7.  2 team draws 6 & 9 - what??

That setup only gives each team a MINIMUM of 2 games, which makes each game cost $550.

Typically you'd see the #1 team draw the #9 team somewhere in their bracket; better yet, there should have been an 8/9 playin game and 2- 4 team brackets, giving each team a minimum of 3 games.

Thoughts/comments??

a.png

Edited by Wes

• Wes changed the title to 18uAA state bracket draw ???

They also have higher ranked teams playing two games in one day.  The National tournament rules are that a team should not play their second game against a team who is playing their first game so why wouldn’t the qualifying tournament do the same?  Seems they are giving an advantage to lower ranked teams.  Mid-Am should want the best team to make it to do as well as possible at Nationals.  The road to get there should be level regardless of rankings.

Edited by Puckthat

Notes from the playoff weekend that will have an effect this coming weekend.

The Southpointe/Indiana 18U game ended in a minor brawl which had multiple players from each team receive game misconducts.

A couple of North Pittsburgh 16U players were assessed game misconducts following their loss and then for some unbeknownst reason (possibly Russian collusion/interference) the refs scratched them off of the sheet. Ironically, that game was held at Baierl. If this is true, shame on all parties involved.

2 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

Notes from the playoff weekend that will have an effect this coming weekend.

The Southpointe/Indiana 18U game ended in a minor brawl which had multiple players from each team receive game misconducts.

A couple of North Pittsburgh 16U players were assessed game misconducts following their loss and then for some unbeknownst reason (possibly Russian collusion/interference) the refs scratched them off of the sheet. Ironically, that game was held at Baierl. If this is true, shame on all parties involved.

“Stop the steal.”  Probably homer refs, right?  I mean, they probably only ref at about ten or so rinks in western PA, but I’m sure there’s something going on for sure.  Q?

??

Edited by fafa fohi
  • ROTF 1

1 hour ago, sadday4hockey said:

There they are. Beetle dee and Beetle dum. Possibly the same person with different screen names. FuFu, it's too easy with you.

What, it's inconceivable to you that more than one person may find your suggestion maligning a guy anonymously on a message board to be both ridiculous and distasteful?  No wonder there is a ref shortage.

What does he get from it? If he wanted to homer the other team, shouldn't he have slanted calls to help them win? You said it was a loss? SMH

This isn't about the game itself. It's about a player or players being ineligible to play the Team's first game next weekend to now being eligible. You tell me, does MidAm/USA Hockey referee protocol allow for a call to be changed after the scoresheet is signed? As far as I know, it does not.

Edited by sadday4hockey

3 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

There they are. Beetle dee and Beetle dum. Possibly the same person with different screen names. FuFu, it's too easy with you.

News flash......many people here think you are an idiot and your posts are moronic.  

I am not the only one - get over it, kid.

I can confirm that officials are NOT permitted to remove\change an assessed penalty from the score sheet for any reason. What they ARE allowed to do is correct a clerical error like a penalty recorded incorrectly ie: a Misconduct penalty recorded as a Game Misconduct, etc. It can get messy if there was an incident at the end of the game and things get written down on the sheet as they are discussing the situation and deciding on what to assess. Situations like that should initially be recorded on a separate sheet of paper, reviewed and then transferred to the scoresheet when they are satisfied with what is to be assessed.  Any "scratch outs" or changes to what is written on the sheets must be initialed by the officials at the end of the game when they review the scoresheet and sign off on it's correctness. Anything more than clerical corrections and the officials must file a written report.

Me thinks that - as usual - we do not have all of the facts to intelligently discuss this one.... But why let that stop anyone..... someone pass me another beer and some popcorn! ??? I gotta say, every time I gat a wild hair and think about coming out of retirement I just come hear and that wild hair gets yanked right quick!

Edited by GrumpyOldPucker
cuz I am a smart ass
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, GrumpyOldPucker said:

Me thinks that - as usual - we do not have all of the facts to intelligently discuss this one.... But why let that stop anyone..... someone pass me another beer and some popcorn! ??? 

Well said! If I had a quarter for every time I've thought this on this discussion board, well, I'd buy that beer for you, anyway.

On 3/23/2021 at 8:16 PM, Wes said:

Wow the mid site is awful to navigate. I can’t find any of what you posted.