More AAA talk

15 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

I think there are 4-5 at the 08 and 09 levels as well. And that doesn't include pens black (gone at that age now?)

08AAA

Mt Lebo

Pens

Vengeance 

Esmark 

if each team has 20 then about 80 AAA 6th and 7th graders basically 

09AAA

Vengeanxe 

Pens

Esmark 

60 AAA 11-12 year olds in Western pa? 

1 hour ago, bender05 said:

08AAA

Mt Lebo

Pens

Vengeance 

Esmark 

if each team has 20 then about 80 AAA 6th and 7th graders basically 

09AAA

Vengeanxe 

Pens

Esmark 

60 AAA 11-12 year olds in Western pa? 

I don't know if this is just another version of Esmark but you forgot the "Ice Kings" 08 and 09 AAA teams ?https://pittsburghicearena.com/ice-kings/

• ROTF 1

Also..

Wait for it...

Registration / Try-Out Process: AAA Teams will be formed by invite only with no formal try-out process.  Invitations will be sent by Pittsburgh Ice Kings on behalf of the coach’s request that will include a registration and payment link.  Players who may not know the head coach, but interested in AAA consideration should fill out the following application. AAA Player Application Click Here

10 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

I don't know if this is just another version of Esmark but you forgot the "Ice Kings" 08 and 09 AAA teams ?https://pittsburghicearena.com/ice-kings/

From what I hear about Esmark  it’s pretty much a mix of pens elite black, some vipers stars, and some kids that were actually a major gold and a major white.  Should be an interesting team......remember the Esmark team of 05s and 06s years ago......??

4 hours ago, Danner27 said:

6 teams at U18 AAA now ? Did I hear this correctly ? 

folks PPE & ESMARK are the only AAA that matters in western pa, in that order. end of story. The proof is out there. 

I didn't think any mattered at u18 - don't you commit as an elite mite these days?

1 hour ago, aaaahockey said:

I didn't think any mattered at u18 - don't you commit as an elite mite these days?

To put it that way - any kid still playing U18 has a slim shot to play NCAA D1. The top players are in the the ushl, bchl and such by that age for the most part, but I did enjoy your mites commit comment ?  

Edited by Danner27

46 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

To put it that way - any kid still playing U18 has a slim shot to play NCAA D1. The top players are in the the ushl, bchl and such by that age for the most part, but I did enjoy your mites commit comment ?  

Agreed it was tongue in cheek. I'm assuming 15 or 16 is the cream of the crop 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 11:11 AM, hockeyisgreat said:

This question is for fafa fohi!  What if your kid is the one who insists on trying out for AAA.  Might be a borderline AAA but really wants to try with no encouragement from the parents.

Do you let him tryout. Only for the Pens Elite or Vengenance or a lower AAA team like Preds?  How do yo know if your kid is ready for AAA?  If they are best on AA team?

Just trying to figure some things out and it sounds like you have some experience with all this. All experienced opinions on the subject are welcome.

I know I am not faha but who is telling you he is borderline AAA? If it's a coach from one of these 'low level' AAA teams I would give it the side eye. Too many have to fill roster spots. (Talent is diluted as faha said.) Most of these teams have a few AAA level talent and everyone else is helping to fund those kids' dreams. If it's a current coach or someone just evaluating him with no stake in the game....better. When people are approaching you wanting to work with your kid or suggesting he may be ready for the next level and they don't have a dollar attached to it.....better.

The biggest difference is speed of the game from AA to AAA. If he hasn't been playing AAA, chances are he isn't going to adjust at a tryout to get a serious look. And the AAA kids never stop moving their feet when they are the on the ice.

Is he playing above his age group? A minor year playing major AA? He might be ok with AAA speed if that is the case. (Although  a minor year AAA team should still beat a AA team in most cases at lower ages anyway.) Is he playing school hockey on varsity with lots of minutes at the PIHL AAA level? If he's hanging with the 17 and 18 year old seniors as a thirteen or fourteen year old.... maybe.

But just know that if he's never played AAA, he has to stand out from the pack. The Pens aren't going to take a risk on him over the squad they've had forever, not when they can start pulling from anywhere. 

I don't actually want any answers to my questions, just food for thought. 

That all being said, I don't think a tryout is a horrible thing to do. But I would pick it carefully, because some of these teams will recruit to fill spots. If you don't want to do AAA...then don't send him to a tryout where you think it is not legit and they may offer him a spot. ? He might get his head filled with the idea that he is AAA by a team/coach, and then if you don't let him play there, he's a problem where you do end up. You know your kid best.

Also beware, some players get offered free ice to come skate and they do with no intention of playing for the team, just skate to keep sharp Sometimes it is hard to guage how good the team is going to be from skates or a tryout....some of that talent you saw when you were there doesn't materialize once the team is forming.

It's so hard to navigate youth sports. ?‍♂️ But....you can be a parent. It's ok to tell your kid no. You are not stomping on his dreams if you can't do it as a family or financially. That's life.

There are still ways to play higher level without going to these AAA low level teams. Not easy, but it does happen. Did he get an invite to the mid am try out? That tells you at least his current coach and organization thinks he should mix it up with AAA kids. Not going to have it any easier to get noticed there, but it tells you they see something, anyway.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Danner27 said:

https://www.woonsocketcall.com/sports/benoit-not-getting-ahead-of-himself/article_7f6e2b06-9ffe-11eb-804b-0b9050c1cc1c.html

u18 is changing at the good programs  this kid didn’t bloom until 2nd year of 18u

Edited by hockey2020
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hockey2020 said:

https://www.woonsocketcall.com/sports/benoit-not-getting-ahead-of-himself/article_7f6e2b06-9ffe-11eb-804b-0b9050c1cc1c.html

u18 is changing at the good programs  this kid didn’t bloom until 2nd year of 18u

Isn't that the kicker? We know hockey is a late development sport but it's so hard to break in at the elite level if you aren't already in the AAA pool as a young kid, before midget. And contrary to the low level/faux AAA team sales pitches, they aren't really breaking kids into it, either. A few here and there. Good on this program. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saucey said:

Isn't that the kicker? We know hockey is a late development sport but it's so hard to break in at the elite level if you aren't already in the AAA pool as a young kid, before midget. And contrary to the low level/faux AAA team sales pitches, they aren't really breaking kids into it, either. A few here and there. Good on this program. 

100% 

6 hours ago, hockey2020 said:

The kid is in the ushl as an 18 year old right now to further my point. He was playing for one the highest rated & scouted prep school teams in the states. During the 2019-20 season the kid made it all the way to the USA national team Camp before attending Mt St Charles.  This player played “AAA” his entire youth hockey career, though a middle level north east AAA program but it’s in the north east, not western Pa.  this kid didn’t come out of nowhere.  When he was 16 he was called up for a few ncdc games. The local garbage usphl premier junior team doesn’t even get 19 year old kids (looks like zero this season) called up to the ncdc and they are an affiliate for one of the ncdc teams. 

Edited by Danner27

30 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

The kid is in the ushl as an 18 year old right now to further my point. He was playing for one the highest rated & scouted prep school teams in the states. During the 2019-20 season the kid made it all the way to the USA national team Camp before attending Mt St Charles.  This player played “AAA” his entire youth hockey career, though a middle level north east AAA program but it’s in the north east, not western Pa.  this kid didn’t come out of nowhere.  When he was 16 he was called up for a few ncdc games. The local garbage usphl premier junior team doesn’t even get 19 year old kids (looks like zero this season) called up to the ncdc and they are an affiliate for one of the ncdc teams. 

never said he came out of nowhere. the point is that he could have played in junior league but chose second year of 18u because that is where more development occurs if you have good program and coaching. more players are choosing 18 where they will play more over junior teams - and then going to junior when more ready to really play. i know it’s a rarity but someone like this kid could have easily left a year or two ago but didn’t. i know of about five examples local who did same thing - stayed back for 18 and go to to ushl or nahl after. it’s becoming more popular to focus on 18. 

5 hours ago, hockey2020 said:

never said he came out of nowhere. the point is that he could have played in junior league but chose second year of 18u because that is where more development occurs if you have good program and coaching. more players are choosing 18 where they will play more over junior teams - and then going to junior when more ready to really play. i know it’s a rarity but someone like this kid could have easily left a year or two ago but didn’t. i know of about five examples local who did same thing - stayed back for 18 and go to to ushl or nahl after. it’s becoming more popular to focus on 18. 

I agree U18 real AAA hockey is better than any tier 3 junior pay to play stuff such as the usphl, na3, wshl etc. regarding the young man at Mt St Charles - that is the top prep school in the states, it’s a much different situation than what we have in western pa. 

yes, I agree it is a rarity but you have to be coming from PPE or ESMARK (in that order). If someone thinks playing midget  “AAA” at the predators or icemen is going to get their kid somewhere, I’ve got a bridge to nowhere they can buy and I’ll sell it much cheaper than what the faux AAA club will charge for a season. 

11 hours ago, Danner27 said:

I agree U18 real AAA hockey is better than any tier 3 junior pay to play stuff such as the usphl, na3, wshl etc. regarding the young man at Mt St Charles - that is the top prep school in the states, it’s a much different situation than what we have in western pa. 

yes, I agree it is a rarity but you have to be coming from PPE or ESMARK (in that order). If someone thinks playing midget  “AAA” at the predators or icemen is going to get their kid somewhere, I’ve got a bridge to nowhere they can buy and I’ll sell it much cheaper than what the faux AAA club will charge for a season. 

100 percent agree with everything here. the 5 kids i know (1 esmark and 4 PPE) stayed back even though could have been on the rosters of ushl or nahl teams - they were not going to play much so stayed at 18 for another year. the kid at mt. st. C is a different story in that he’s an nhl prospect but the theory is the same - stay at a top notch 18 team and then do better the next year at a quality junior team. a good 18 program definitely better than any pay to play tier III junior team and agree - in this area - Pens, Esmark in that order and no other 18 team matters. period.  

Edited by hockey2020
  • Like 1
  • Fist Bump 1

On 4/18/2021 at 9:59 PM, Danner27 said:

There is a kid that was drafted by the Tomahawks NAHL team ( and made the active roster) that played for the Pittsburgh Predators at 18U.  He was cut from both Esmark and Pens Elite.  After his 18U team he played juniors for a Canadian team in the OJHL.