North Catholic/Excel Hockey

4 hours ago, BACKCHECKING said:

The cost and politics of PPE have caused a number of players form Peewee to U18 to leave Pittsburgh and travel to Cleveland to play for the Barons.

don’t think this move works out for anyone. only those who can’t make ppe team would choose to do this and they all falsely claim they wanted to leave. also excel is the hour ten of ice and then the teams practice another hour or so. it’s a lot of ice. and it’s the two off ice sessions per day that is perhaps too much - but the trainer at ppe is second to none

Edited by hockey2020

1 hour ago, hockey2020 said:

don’t think this move works out for anyone. only those who can’t make ppe team would choose to do this and they all falsely claim they wanted to leave. also excel is the hour ten of ice and then the teams practice another hour or so. it’s a lot of ice. and it’s the two off ice sessions per day that is perhaps too much - but the trainer at ppe is second to none

The Penguins Elite marketing department hard at work here.  Some kids leave because they do not like it and some kids get cut.  Leaving has worked out for more than a few players including one on an NHL payroll.  The 2006 players that wanted away from the horse and pony show somehow made the Barons 06 program a higher ranked organization than Penguins Elite 06.  How is that working out?  The hockey realm in Pittsburgh is well aware of the trashing of former players that by Penguins Elite mouth pieces.  You aren’t fooling anyone.  Compare it to Putin sitting with a group of yes men around him blaming it on Ukraine while the rest of the world is rolling their eyes. 

Edited by ChiefKeef
  • 100 1

13 minutes ago, ChiefKeef said:

The Penguins Elite marketing department hard at work here.  Some kids leave because they do not like it and some kids get cut.  Leaving has worked out for more than a few players including one on an NHL payroll.  The 2006 players that wanted away from the horse and pony show somehow made the Barons 06 program a higher ranked organization than Penguins Elite 06.  How is that working out?  The hockey realm in Pittsburgh is well aware of the trashing of former players that by Penguins Elite mouth pieces.  You aren’t fooling anyone. 

keep tellin urself that!

2 hours ago, ChiefKeef said:

The Penguins Elite marketing department hard at work here.  Some kids leave because they do not like it and some kids get cut.  Leaving has worked out for more than a few players including one on an NHL payroll.  The 2006 players that wanted away from the horse and pony show somehow made the Barons 06 program a higher ranked organization than Penguins Elite 06.  How is that working out?  The hockey realm in Pittsburgh is well aware of the trashing of former players that by Penguins Elite mouth pieces.  You aren’t fooling anyone.  Compare it to Putin sitting with a group of yes men around him blaming it on Ukraine while the rest of the world is rolling their eyes. 

I think the bigger question should be why did those kids leave or get cut. Was it simply they are not good enough or other reasons. I'm sure they would have rather stayed in Pittsburgh. Pens Elite has definatly become one of the most expensive program in the country and seems to attrack/recruit kids from all over the world. Their teams do well overall. It does seem if you don't fit their mold you are better off leaving town. The best 06 forward left to play for BK, the D kid that went to the Barrons was probably the best at his age in Pittsburgh but was cut this season. I was told the 06 pens have only 5 kids that are actually from Pittsburgh while Cleveland has 6 on it's 06 team. I would say if the pens cut them, then they should really not make much of the difference going to the barons, but I guess time will tell. Let's see what happens after tryouts and see if this trend continues and watch the ones that leave and get cut. It does look like barrons are a lot cheaper and not requiring excel might make the drive worth it.

The point in the matter is that kids leave and kids get cut.  Hockey2020 above is insinuating that any kid that ends up at another team was let go by the Penguins.  It is really sad that some kids and families get bashed just because they did not choose the Penguins.   It is always the same vile crap stories anytime kids choose to play at a different organization and the damage control campaign starts at the expense of the kids and families reputation. 

Edited by ChiefKeef

So these kids and their families are driving back and forth from Pittsburgh to Cleveland for practice and games, or are they uprooting themselves and actually moving to there... to play amateur hockey?? And they're paying to do this? Seems pretty goofy to me. Oh, so does being forced to do your schooling at a catholic school against your will, too.

Unless you're head & shoulders lights out above literally every other player at 15 years old and two or three years younger then everyone you're playing with like a Crosby, Tavares, or McDavid... then I guess I could see it. But I bet they're not. Because if you were you wouldn't be worried about making a AAA team within your own age group. And in Pittsburgh or Cleveland. 

Is all of this insane, or is it just me? 

It is just you.  Some people do far worse things with their disposable income than have their kids play AAA hockey in a different city.  The humanity. 99.99% of players are not Sidney Crosby and playing 3 years above their age level.  If people took your advice there would be 5 guys playing professional hockey in North America.  Though maybe some kids just enjoy playing and their parents enjoy the ride.  Should we all just have our kids quit because they may or may not be on TV someday? 

Edited by ChiefKeef

1 hour ago, ChiefKeef said:

It is just you.  Some people do far worse things with their disposable income than have their kids play AAA hockey in a different city.  The humanity. 99.99% of players are not Sidney Crosby and playing 3 years above their age level.  If people took your advice there would be 5 guys playing professional hockey in North America.  Though maybe some kids just enjoy playing and their parents enjoy the ride.  Should we all just have our kids quit because they may or may not be on TV someday? 

I am sure someone is going to post that these kids should have just played PAHL. Then will come the stats about the likely hood of ever playing in the NHL. I get the odds, but always hated hearing this and people telling me or others how to spend your money and where to play. I am not rich and have been wise about how much I have spent on my kids and their sports an activities. No matter how far they have or will go, I can say, I have enjoyed the ride, the people we have met and friendships that will go far beyond their youth sports playing days. I enjoy the games and enjoy watching kids I have coached and their kids play and be involved. I does blow my mind how much PPE cost as well as the other simular programs across the country, but I can tell you if I had the money or hit the lottery, I would spend it on making my kids experience like he was in the nhl. Buy them a bus, private loker rooms, nice uniforms and whatever else to  make the experience remarkable. Maybe even start my own program with reduced cost and less BS.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, mrfreeze said:

I am sure someone is going to post that these kids should have just played PAHL. Then will come the stats about the likely hood of ever playing in the NHL. I get the odds, but always hated hearing this and people telling me or others how to spend your money and where to play. I am not rich and have been wise about how much I have spent on my kids and their sports an activities. No matter how far they have or will go, I can say, I have enjoyed the ride, the people we have met and friendships that will go far beyond their youth sports playing days. I enjoy the games and enjoy watching kids I have coached and their kids play and be involved. I does blow my mind how much PPE cost as well as the other simular programs across the country, but I can tell you if I had the money or hit the lottery, I would spend it on making my kids experience like he was in the nhl. Buy them a bus, private loker rooms, nice uniforms and whatever else to  make the experience remarkable. Maybe even start my own program with reduced cost and less BS.

Agree 100%.  I would sure like my kid to play on your team.  I would try to do whatever it takes as long as it's the kids dream and not mine.  First hint of negativity toward practice changes the whole dynamic.  I hate to see kids who are there cause their parents want them there.  

The Pens had an opportunity to grow and put pittsburgh area hockey on the map by developing our youth players and advancing them to the next levels. Instead they chose to alienate their own market and sell out to the highest bidders following the current prep hockey trend. 

• Like 3
  • 100 1
  • Fist Bump 1

22 hours ago, hockey2020 said:

The U15 Barons and 08 Vengeance have several players that came from PPE. The Barons are ranked higher and have beaten PPE 2 times this year. The 08 Vengeance are ranked higher than PPE, and I understand that PPE declined to play.

Hockey2020 if you are correct and only those who got cut or couldn’t make PPE would choose to leave, why do you think that they are playing so well on a different team? Could it be that the Barons and Vengeance have a better development program, the PPE coaching staff can’t recognize talent, PPEP (Pittsburgh Penguins Elite Politics), or did they just get lucky this year.

• Like 3
  • 100 1

• 2 weeks later...

The N Catholic varsity team played single A and one of the captains skated over to our bench when we beat them and said, “Well we’re rich and you suck.” Maybe angry about the amount of money spent to be beat by a public school. 

9 minutes ago, hockey07 said:

The N Catholic varsity team played single A and one of the captains skated over to our bench when we beat them and said, “Well we’re rich and you suck.” Maybe angry about the amount of money spent to be beat by a public school. 

well to be correct. they are not rich. THEIR Parents are rich, their just snobby off spring that couldn't make PPE. 

5 hours ago, hockey07 said:

I find this funny.  I would laugh if I was the coach and pat the kid on the back. In this day and age he's literally just trying to make a fun joke and it sounds like nothing else. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 3:19 PM, hockey07 said:

Well, they're the ones going to a school ran and taught by a bunch of weirdo adults who believe in magic. So I'd say that the joke's on them.