Tryouts hours after playoffs...

I would actually prefer if tryouts were earlier.  That way my kids can put hockey on the back burner mentally.  I think the trend of tryouts without parents in the stands makes it more stressful for kids.

My kids play other sports, we don't do spring hockey but we do take lessons throughout the off season.  I am fine if my kid improves over the summer to the point that he could have made a better team.   Lot of value in being able to have some success on the ice for team.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sadday4hockey said:

Cardinal Wuerl. Catholic Diocese. Bishop Zubik. You get the idea.

So the problem lies with the Catholic influence over the school and not through Excel or Pens Elite?

I read the reports regarding misconduct and saw the public responses leading up to the renaming of the school. Personally I believe the misconduct goes deeper than anyone fears, but that is a discussion for somewhere other than a Hockey Board.

Oh no, it's a two-fold problem. But to be honest those two entities fit together so well it's like they were meant for each other. They've both done their share of soiling each others as well as their own "reputations". One has put $$ over the sport and the other $$ over education.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

I always liked for the tryouts to be soon after the league playoffs (PAHL, etc.), rather than in the middle of May, June, etc.  The kids are fully ready for a tryout right after the season, instead of throwing on skates for the first time in weeks then going for a tryout.

We're all done with youth hockey so I don't have to deal with this anymore LOL.

11 hours ago, Chinstrap said:

I am not understanding the linear correlation between Pens Elite through Excel and then to North Catholic.

I do not want to flame anyone and am not challenging. I merely do not see why this would stop someone’s kid from doing anything at North Catholic.

Yeah. Even if we take child abuse out of the equation, religion is hogwash to me. I went to catholic school though 8th grade, and I dont' believe any of it. So without going on a tangent, I'll just say that there is no reason that I would send my kid to a school where something none of us believe in is central to the environment. 

And that's without even getting into the discussion of a kid missing out on the experience of a regular, diverse, co-ed high school experience. 

There's other teams you can play for. 

• 100 1

16 hours ago, Wes said:

I always liked for the tryouts to be soon after the league playoffs (PAHL, etc.), rather than in the middle of May, June, etc.  The kids are fully ready for a tryout right after the season, instead of throwing on skates for the first time in weeks then going for a tryout.

We're all done with youth hockey so I don't have to deal with this anymore LOL.

Having to keep their feet moving before tryouts is a pain. But USA Hockey revolves around Tier I hockey and they don't want to have Nationals affected by kids tryouts. Even though that number is small.

I can see both sides of the tryout timing. When I was growing up, tryouts were always in the fall right before season kick-off. There was always a surprise or two, some kid who grew a foot or put on 20 pounds of muscle over the summer. It may have been wishful thinking, but it felt like tryouts were more wide open with more spots up for grabs.

Now, the system is set up more for the status quo. Coaches know going into spring tryouts who they want to keep from their team, who are the bubble kids. Everything is fresh in their mind. But, as others mentioned, I think the advantage of having spring tryouts are really two-fold: 1) families don't have to deal with the arms race all summer of having to do all these summer skates to keep your spot; 2) coaches can use the time for the odd team gathering to start team gelling but with less stress than the pre-tryout skates. I think we are past the point of no return and it actually would be worse to go back to fall tryouts now, even though I liked it as a kid.

2 hours ago, Loach said:

I can see both sides of the tryout timing. When I was growing up, tryouts were always in the fall right before season kick-off. There was always a surprise or two, some kid who grew a foot or put on 20 pounds of muscle over the summer. It may have been wishful thinking, but it felt like tryouts were more wide open with more spots up for grabs.

Now, the system is set up more for the status quo. Coaches know going into spring tryouts who they want to keep from their team, who are the bubble kids. Everything is fresh in their mind. But, as others mentioned, I think the advantage of having spring tryouts are really two-fold: 1) families don't have to deal with the arms race all summer of having to do all these summer skates to keep your spot; 2) coaches can use the time for the odd team gathering to start team gelling but with less stress than the pre-tryout skates. I think we are past the point of no return and it actually would be worse to go back to fall tryouts now, even though I liked it as a kid.

Good points. Main drawback I see with spring tryouts is a kid who busts his ass over the summer and makes big devolopment strides could be playing down a level or two from what he should be once the fall comes. 

I'm sure part of having it in spring especially at the higher ages is also so they get obligated early. No chance to be on the fence and decide over the summer that they really don't miss playing and not sign up again. 

But with fall tryouts, at least you have a good idea who was serious enough to put work in over the summer. 

Both have pros and cons. 

• 100 1