It's tryout season

I haven't had kids at local tryouts for a number of years.  But, I remember all to well and wish I knew then what I know now.  My two sense....I'll never forget the year my kid played AAA  - then at the end of the year a ton of kids crossed over from another competitive AAA organization to try out because this one was first.  Two teams were being put together ~ the Gold  (national) and Black team.  After a week of tryouts, my son's current coach pulled him aside and told him he was going to suggest a difficult decision for him.  He was going to put him on the black team.  He felt the black team would give him more ice time and special teams time. He said - if I put you on the first team - you aren't going to get the experience that will benefit you in the long run.  All my sons teammates were going to be on the Gold team. My son had a tough pill to swallow. If memory serves me right it was only him and one or two that were put on the black team.  At the time it was painful.  The coach on the black team was new to me and the organization. Turns out it was the best coach he has had up to this point.  The black team actually beat the Gold team in districts at the end of the year ~ which was amazing.  He continued onto his hockey journey and currently plays in the NAHL.   Do I think parents should get to watch - nope!! Save yourself the aggravation.  We don't always know what is best. We get too emotional.  Let the kids tryout without looking over their shoulders at mom or dad or pap watching every move.  Stop thinking being on the top is always the best. Of all the kids that played on that top team that year - I believe 2 are still playing hockey today.  Life's lessons are learned through the tryout process.  Drive, desire and determination are learned.  What you view as failure may be exactly what your kid needs.   P.S.   Just for clarity - those black teams you all act like are nothing but a rejection, a waste and useless helped build my son. He is still playing hockey today in juniors.  (and one of his teammates on his NAHL team tried out for both top AAA teams in western Pa and was cut.  Made his way to another league and found his way - but that is another story for another day.)  

Find an organization that you can get behind and trust the process.   Let your kids learn about life and be their biggest cheerleader. 

• Like 4

Agree with the OP. 

With respect to whether your kid should play for a 'faux AAA team' versus a comparable PAHL AA team: if you are choosing the former just because of the third 'A', you are making the decision using the wrong criteria - it may work out, and it may not.

But, if you are choosing to play on that team because you like the coach, you feel it is a good fit for your kid, the other players and families seem good, then you are likely making an informed decision and the odds of it working out are greatly increased.

• Like 1