Selects Team 2

And holding people hostage to team 2 by only accepting alternates for team 1 from team 2.  So if their Team 1 girls make PPE and that spot opens up, you are only considered for it if you have accepted your position on team 2.  

Unfortunate if true, every year you see the posts of the girls teams desperately looking for players to round out their rosters.  Not to mention taking those girls and shipping them off to other cities to play instead of playing locally.

This is 100% on PAHL. This gained traction when they tried to push through the anti-girls hockey rules. Soured some families and now they are looking for any alternative they can find. Ironically, even under those proposed rules these girls could have played both Selects and PAHL. I know a few of the families that expressed this sentiment. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stickboy said:

Why do they need to play both?

If your PAHL??? Simple. Numbers. You don’t have the numbers to field a competitive division. PAHL is ecstatic if they get 4 girls teams in a division that are somewhat competitive. 16u was decent this year, right? Oh wait they folded the entire age group. So let’s block out anyone who wants to play PAHL 16u girls but maybe wants to get a few extra games in. So if you’re a decent minor birth year 16u girl, what do you do? You don’t restrict eligibility if you’re trying to grow a demographic of a sport. You expand it. PAHL can’t see it because none of the board members have girls that play, right? I think I’m right but I may be off. If they do, they don’t understand it at the older levels (past 12u). 

If you’re a decent player after 12u??? Simple- PAHL has such a huge disparity of girls on each team. Some can barely skate. It’s like forcing all the boys to play local in house. You’re severely restricting the ability to play with parity due to small numbers. You almost need to change on the horn with line parity. It sucks.

if you’re Steel City??? Well you’re providing an alternative now. Here’s an organization that understands girls hockey. For the record I have no affiliation there. But mid to high level PAHL girls that don’t want to be part of a league that can’t put together a decent league season and has clearly shown they have no interest in understanding or expanding girls hockey- here ya go. Now big question is how would this team schedule a competitive season-  but I can’t blame the families for looking elsewhere.

If PAHL isn’t going to look to grow girls hockey, freaking kudos for another origination to at least superficially look like they want to do it. 

• Like 1
  • 100 1