Toxic environment in youth hockey

In the wake of the Kyle Beach hearings last week, and the baffling way the hearings were going on and Quenneville was still on a bench that day, and the despicable behavior at Armstrong we've been discussing in another thread, Bryce Salvador wrote an article that I think really speaks to some of the issues we are all facing as coaches and parents.

https://theathletic.com/2930115/2021/11/02/bryce-salvador-on-battling-the-toxic-environment-of-youth-hockey-plus-the-impact-of-kyle-beach/

People have been suggesting that Mars should have refused to continue playing in that game. To be honest, I tend to agree with that assertion, though I'm not sure what I would have done from the bench there (except that I am positive I'd have walked over and talked to the Armstrong coach, especially given how easy it is to do so at Armstrong). This article is written about younger players, but by a former NHL captain who is now coaching youth. Whether you agree with everything in it or not, it's worth a read.

• Like 1