09 vengeance?

1 hour ago, No Politics said:

Question:  I didn't pay close enough attention over the years, but does anyone else have an idea how many AAA/AA programs there are now compared to five, ten, or twenty years ago?

My gut feeling is that there are a lot more, but I am not sure.

AAA has definitely grown in the last 10 years.  I don't think you would have had many PAHL organizations trying to field independent teams back then at younger levels (or even birthyear teams for that matter).   Vengeance expanded their program to youth first with the 08s first year of squirt. Now you have SHAHA, Icemen, etc.   AA not sure has changed as much but it has gotten watered down as kids go play AAA. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, No Politics said:

Question:  I didn't pay close enough attention over the years, but does anyone else have an idea how many AAA/AA programs there are now compared to five, ten, or twenty years ago?

My gut feeling is that there are a lot more, but I am not sure.

The absurdity of the Pittsburgh youth hockey market has grown in the past 20 years (just like youth sports in general) but the talent pool has also grown substantially in the past 20 years. Some good and some bad in the past 20 years.

3 minutes ago, RJUSHL said:

The absurdity of the Pittsburgh youth hockey market has grown in the past 20 years (just like youth sports in general) but the talent pool has also grown substantially in the past 20 years. Some good and some bad in the past 20 years.

I agree, I would love to see USA Hockey registration counts from WPA over the last 30 years.  Does anyone know of that information is publicly available?

I don't have USA Hockey numbers, but at the beginning of the season I pulled these team counts but it doesn't include the independent teams. 

16&18U --- from 58 (2019) to 64 (2022)

14U            67 to 67

12U            82 to 75

10U            77 to 69

2019 total - 284 teams

2022 total - 275 teams

Edited by Brownbear

Is it true that the 09 preds are going to be coached by an "experienced" dad (at least "co-coaching") instead of ty? If so are the players ok with that?  I know the guy who is supposedly in charge and he's been banned from coaching anything he didn't run since like 2017. Wondering if that's true and, if so, who signed up for that???? 😭

53 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

Is it true that the 09 preds are going to be coached by an "experienced" dad (at least "co-coaching") instead of ty? If so are the players ok with that?  I know the guy who is supposedly in charge and he's been banned from coaching anything he didn't run since like 2017. Wondering if that's true and, if so, who signed up for that???? 😭

True……he’s a package deal of sorts having brought 5 or 6 kids with him from Esmark 09 team.  

• Ugh!!! 1
  • Holy Moly 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, RJUSHL said:

I really don't think the talent pool has grown.  In the 90s and early 00s not a lot of options for kids because WPA wasn't scouted. And yes more kids are playing DI and DIII than 10 -15 years ago but still we lack NHL draft picks. And I attribute the Cooleys" successes to Uncle and Dad more than WPA hockey.

• 100 1

• 5 months later...
On 4/19/2023 at 8:25 AM, Danner27 said:

Cliff is a good skills guy, can’t speak on his team / game coaching. He was doing something some years back with the rink rats - he ran practices but only went to home games. In general he’s a good guy, wrong place at the wrong time -  ppe needed a scape goat imo. 

cliffs north pittsburgh 08s went to nationals last year despite arguably having a less talented roster than teams like renegades and vipers stars