What is happening at ALPHA ICE?

I would have loved to see SCIR stand up to Alpha, but in the end they can't risk hurting the kids in the event they lost the fight.

What percentage of Alpha ice does SCIR purchase?  I'd have to think it's enough to have given them a case to stand their ground.

6 hours ago, Icebucket said:

I would have loved to see SCIR stand up to Alpha, but in the end they can't risk hurting the kids in the event they lost the fight.

What percentage of Alpha ice does SCIR purchase?  I'd have to think it's enough to have given them a case to stand their ground.

You would think so. But I think the location plays into it. If SCIR was able to get ice elsewhere, it would be difficult to get that much anywhere else. A lot of those kids would just as soon play with a Vipers jersey or whatever because of the location and famiarity with the rink. If SCIR decided not to merge, Vengeance could just use another organization or say OK SCIR you're out. Then announce they're adding all these Vengeance teams anyway. Enough people would probably have stayed rather than drive further for less ice, in the event SCIR could find any. With black bear taking over the number of rinks available to sell to an independent org arent very many. And rinks like frozen pond really don't have any to offer. 

I know black bear has been after alpha to sell, as as of yet they haven't obviously. But I wonder if this is a setup to sell in the future... Here, buy they rink and all the teams in it. Ice is all sold and accounted for. 

Unlike say PIA, where they're struggling to field their own black bear teams, this would be a situation where a full org is built right in. 

I can't see any other reason to do this.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 1:24 PM, IceMom said:

Came here looking for talk about what is happening at Alpha next season and was surprised to not see it mentioned anywhere. 

Rumor (and that may be just it at this point, a rumor!) has it that Vengeance and Renegades are merging, Aviators and Vipers are out and no other organizations will be sold ice time. 

Does someone know enough to set the record straight?

Renegades will fall under Vengeance as a Tier II program.  The ice limitations don’t seem likely but hey you never know 

13 hours ago, zam said:

I'd imagine the "negotiated merger" between "Alpha/Vengeance" and Steel City Renegades went something like this....

Hey we have been paying SCIR to roster our teams for several years now, we tried to get the Aviators to do it but they wouldn't. And you might notice they are no longer here.  So we can either rename your organization Vengeance, allow your board to "run things" and renew your ice contract OR you can go over to SSA and see if they will sell you a few hours of ice.  If you don't like that deal I'm sure one of the other displaced organizations like the North Hills Vipers would.

It seems like you have some inside information to how it went - were you involved in these discussions

I can see BB wanting Alpha to sell as they have a great location and multiple streams of revenue. The tourny business hosts in other cities, plus the scheduling platform with BB SuperSeries under contract along with Hockeytime, TCS, and others....It would be turnkey and all BB would have to do is add sponsorship to the rink names.